Knife got sharper after awhile!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Minibear453

Knife got sharper after awhile!?

Post by Minibear453 »

So two days ago, I sharpened my Spyderco Endura, and put it away, able to slice paper, but not push cut. So after not using it for two days, and carrying another knife, I came back to it today, sliced paper, and it was able to easily push cut. So either someone sharpened it for me, which is extremely unlikely as I'm the only knife addict in this house, or the knife sharpened itself? :confused: I do mount it on a magnet, if that makes a difference.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's possible you changed the angle slightly too. Often I can slice paper one direction but not the other.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say you slightly changed the angle of your cut. This makes a world of difference when cutting paper especially if you don't have a very thin edge. My Vallotton will only push cut if i have the angle just right, if not it starts ripping. Get the angle right and it sails through phone book paper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Different paper will sometimes push cut better than others. You don't have pyramids in your closet, do you? :D
mcjhrobinson

Post by mcjhrobinson »

i sharpened it for you bro, no charge
every man is a variation of yourself. :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Minibear453 wrote:So two days ago, I sharpened my Spyderco Endura, and put it away, able to slice paper, but not push cut. So after not using it for two days, and carrying another knife, I came back to it today, sliced paper, and it was able to easily push cut. So either someone sharpened it for me, which is extremely unlikely as I'm the only knife addict in this house, or the knife sharpened itself? :confused: I do mount it on a magnet, if that makes a difference.
Probably what happened is you had a bur on the edge and using the knife removed the bur. Common thing. ;) Stropping it removes the bur. The other thing I do is I drag the sharpened blade on a piece of wood perpendicular to the sharpened edge. Pulls the bur right off.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Technically, over a long enough time an edge will naturally get dull just from oxidation.

Come to think of it...i wonder how H1 reacts to that since it doesn't rust? Hmmm.....
~David
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

It got sharper, same paper, it's all trashed printer paper from when I mess up or school and old assignments. No pyramids, and I think that was on mythbusters too! And I stropped it before, after sharpening. I don't know, but it's kinda crazy.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Sounds to me like a burr. The same thing has happened to me a few times. I used to be the king of wire edges until I learned to strop.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
mattman

Post by mattman »

There is some theory that this CAN happen...

I think I was reading about it a while back over in MTE on BF...

Something to do with the metal "relaxing" a bit after the strain of sharpening... I think there was even pics of a razor blade showing the "edge-growth"... for lack of a better term?

I'm not doing a good job describing the phenomenon, so I'll go see if I can find the thread...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It can't get sharper without intervention unless it corroded only the shoulders dropping the angle. Since that didn't happen I'd blame the elves.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Minibear453 wrote:It got sharper, same paper, it's all trashed printer paper from when I mess up or school and old assignments. No pyramids, and I think that was on mythbusters too! And I stropped it before, after sharpening. I don't know, but it's kinda crazy.
LOL, it didn't get sharper, you just like to think it did. That pretty much goes against Physics and we all know only Einstein can do that.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Number of possibilities, aurr that came off when you sliced paper, using a different angle or just a different and sharper spot on the blade the second time, humidity was lower the second time making the paper drier and easier to cut.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Sharp fairies, only explanation.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hear Sal sneaks around like Santa sharpening knives while no one is looking. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Since your knive sharpen themselves, you are probably thinking about giving all your sharpening tools to people here on the forum. That's really great of you. :)

Jack
Clip

Post by Clip »

Donut wrote:I hear Sal sneaks around like Santa sharpening knives while no one is looking. :)
Hahahahaha!

Mattman, can you find that link? I'd be interested to read more on this theory, as I am slightly skeptical.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It was Thumbholestiltskin...do a search.
~David
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

SAL WAS HERE!? But I wanted an autograph... :( Maybe I'm just crazy, but I swear it happened.
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

Evil D wrote:It was Thumbholestiltskin...do a search.
I thought Thumbholestiltskin spun Brillo pads into M390 ?
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"