Techno vs. Leaf Storm comparison?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
d.2.the.p

Techno vs. Leaf Storm comparison?

Post by d.2.the.p »

If there's anyone who now owns both and could give your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to pick up the Techno regardless, but I just wanted to see what people's thoughts are since the beefy-bladed frame locks seem to lend themselves to comparison.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

d.2.the.p wrote:If there's anyone who now owns both and could give your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to pick up the Techno regardless, but I just wanted to see what people's thoughts are since the beefy-bladed frame locks seem to lend themselves to comparison.
I don't own either and don't think many have held the Techno. That said, Spyderco is giving it a spine width of 4.5mm on the website which makes it more squat than a Superleaf or Military with a shorter blade.

If you pry with a folder it's likely it will develop play. The Techno does seem a burly little monster though. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have a Leaf Storm, and should be getting my Techno tomorrow.

With a blade thicker than a LionSpy, it should be interesting.
:bug-red-white
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Nice comparison, I hope someone can do it.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I just got my Techno today! Very cool. Before I give my baseline thoughts, it should be known that I love the Leafstorm and am a big fan of it. These two knives look like brothers or cousins.
* They are almost exactly the same overall length, but the Leafstorm is maybe 1/8" longer or so
* Handle closed length is similar, but again Leafstorm is about 1/4" longer
* Spine to top of blade closed profile is pretty much dead even
* Handle thickness - Techno is about 1/8" thicker
* Blade thickness - Techno is about 1/8" thicker - monster for such a short blade!
* Weight - Techno is very noticeably heavier in the hand - its feels chunky and sturdy. Leafstorm aint no slouch, but Techno makes it seem like the little brother
* The RIL side scale is thicker on Techno
* Techno deep pocket wire clip is nicer carry option
* Stonewashed Techno makes it look like its ready for some hard work - kinda screams "use me to cut some stuff!!"
* Leafstorm in comparison now is much more refined with more visual design elements and polished steel surfaces
* Lack of choil on both still puts index finger at risk for Spyderbite, but the Leafstorm is more so since the end of the blade extends down below level handle end (if that makes sense) - but I still maintain that for push cuts, I use three finger grip with index well away from end of Leafstorm blade and for pull cuts four finger grip works fine and should never get nicked...
* Techno has all edges chamfered and polished - even the Spyder hole. I personally like and prefer this over the precision sharp edged spines, scales and holes of other Spydercos (I am NOT complaining, just voicing a preference)

Overall, seems to me like these are brothers. Techno is the more muscular and beefy brother and Leafstorm is the more slender (but still in good shape) and refined brother. I still love to look at my Leafstorm with its natural G10 scale, polished clip, shinier blade and contoured handle, but I just want to USE my Techno. I see some boxes that need to be cut up for the recycle bin, so Im going to have a little Techno fun. Hope this was of some use.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's funny how the Leaf Storm seems almost delicate next to the Techno. The Techno is a little big knife for sure!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Pneumothorax wrote:

I see some boxes that need to be cut up for the recycle bin, so Im going to have a little Techno fun. Hope this was of some use.
Cut same boxes with both knives and let us (please) know which one slices 'em better. A 3mm blade vs. one of 4.5mm thickness is going to be one very Large difference, IMHO.
Sonny
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

Pneumothorax wrote:I just got my Techno today! Very cool. Before I give my baseline thoughts, it should be known that I love the Leafstorm and am a big fan of it. These two knives look like brothers or cousins.
* They are almost exactly the same overall length, but the Leafstorm is maybe 1/8" longer or so
* Handle closed length is similar, but again Leafstorm is about 1/4" longer
* Spine to top of blade closed profile is pretty much dead even
* Handle thickness - Techno is about 1/8" thicker
* Blade thickness - Techno is about 1/8" thicker - monster for such a short blade!
* Weight - Techno is very noticeably heavier in the hand - its feels chunky and sturdy. Leafstorm aint no slouch, but Techno makes it seem like the little brother
* The RIL side scale is thicker on Techno
* Techno deep pocket wire clip is nicer carry option
* Stonewashed Techno makes it look like its ready for some hard work - kinda screams "use me to cut some stuff!!"
* Leafstorm in comparison now is much more refined with more visual design elements and polished steel surfaces
* Lack of choil on both still puts index finger at risk for Spyderbite, but the Leafstorm is more so since the end of the blade extends down below level handle end (if that makes sense) - but I still maintain that for push cuts, I use three finger grip with index well away from end of Leafstorm blade and for pull cuts four finger grip works fine and should never get nicked...
* Techno has all edges chamfered and polished - even the Spyder hole. I personally like and prefer this over the precision sharp edged spines, scales and holes of other Spydercos (I am NOT complaining, just voicing a preference)

Overall, seems to me like these are brothers. Techno is the more muscular and beefy brother and Leafstorm is the more slender (but still in good shape) and refined brother. I still love to look at my Leafstorm with its natural G10 scale, polished clip, shinier blade and contoured handle, but I just want to USE my Techno. I see some boxes that need to be cut up for the recycle bin, so Im going to have a little Techno fun. Hope this was of some use.
Awesome comparison! Thanks, Pneumothorax. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I had a Leaf Storm for a short time but sold it to a friend. I sold it as a favor, not because I didn't love it. So I had been trying to decide whether I want another Leaf Storm or a Techno. I ordered a Techno, and it should be here this coming week. CAN'T WAIT. However, that's not to say a Leaf Storm won't happen again in the future ;)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Some quick pics

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I don't own either, but if given the choice it would be the Techno. And for one reason. The left hand pocket carry.

Regarding the cousin/brother comment, as I hunt for my perfect EDC, I can't help but think, why Spyderco (not just them but most manufacturers), make knives that have already had the niche filled. So you have a bigger Leafstorm. Chances are if you like one you'll like the other (and vice versa) because it's the same knife.

I think Spyderco should do more Sage series-like designs. With the PM2 model, the dragonfly, and the new Native 5 model. All popular shapes and sizes. Now change the locks and scale material like the Sages. Now you can make the same knife over and over that will appeal to many more people.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Techno isn't just a bigger Leaf Storm. They're very different knives ergonomically.
st_burt

Post by st_burt »

gbelleh wrote:The Techno isn't just a bigger Leaf Storm. They're very different knives ergonomically.
+1 on this. I have both knives, and they feel very different in my hand.

With the Leafstorm, you have to choose whether to have your index finger forward, on the part of the handle that slopes toward the blade, or to have it back and not have enough room for four fingers. With the Techno, there's room for a normal for finger grip.

As much as I like the Leafstorm, I kind of hate the part of the handle closest to the blade. I've always felt that it was slanted in the wrong direction (unless you want to cut your finger). After looking at the two side by side, I think I'm going to take the Leafstorm apart and re-shape the handle into something more like the Techno.

If I had to choose between the two knives, I'd take the Techno. Both knives are nice to look at and play with, and I love the green G11 on the Leafstorm, but the Techno is so much more useful in the hand.