Cat C129G

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buckthorn

Cat C129G

Post by buckthorn »

I'm planning to order a Cat (C129G) and wanted to see what others have said about it. I did an advanced search for it on this site but found no results. It's difficult to believe it's never been mentioned and it's very possible I searched poorly. Can anyone direct me to a thread for it or just give your impressions of this model? Thank you.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I was having problems too now that you mention it.

Did find this thread though and recall hearing good things about the new G10 versions: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... icago-v2-0
Invective

Post by Invective »

I just picked up a Cat some two weeks ago and have been EDCing it since then and it is a fantastic little knife. It came out of the box shaving sharp and the F&F is spot on. I haven't needed to sharpen it yet after two weeks of taking down boxes, opening letters and other daily tasks and the blade is still perfectly centered. It sits in the pocket perfectly I forget it is even there but whenever I need it it is at the ready. The G10 is also extremely grippy, which along with the choils makes it feel fantastic in the hand. I do wish they had provided the jimping like they did on the CF handles but it isn't necessary and for me would be purely based off preference and not need. Hope this helps!
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Invective wrote:I just picked up a Cat some two weeks ago and have been EDCing it since then and it is a fantastic little knife. It came out of the box shaving sharp and the F&F is spot on. I haven't needed to sharpen it yet after two weeks of taking down boxes, opening letters and other daily tasks and the blade is still perfectly centered. It sits in the pocket perfectly I forget it is even there but whenever I need it it is at the ready. The G10 is also extremely grippy, which along with the choils makes it feel fantastic in the hand. I do wish they had provided the jimping like they did on the CF handles but it isn't necessary and for me would be purely based off preference and not need. Hope this helps!
I agree with what he said. Additionally, if you are someone who takes their knife apart for cleaning, maintenance, etc, I have notice that the screws on the knife are very soft. I purchased mine right when they came out so maybe that has changed. I wouldn't let it change your mine about the Cat/Chicago, they are great little knives, and the 440C is holding an edge longer then expected.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

I don't think the forum search software can pick up short words like "cat" as it possibly gives too many hits.

I have a G10 Cat and I have been meaning to do a bit of a photo review on it. Just never find the time.

Personally, I don't really like it. I bought it very early on in my Spyderco career when my knowledge was minimal. At that time I had a Manix which I love, but wanted something smaller for EDC. I was pushed for time in the knife shop and walked out with a Cat.

The size is great, the G10 feels great, the blade gets nice and sharp quite easily and the opening/closing is super smooth.

So why don't I like it? I don't really know, cannot put my finger on it apart from that it feels cheap. There is no weight to it (kind of feels hollow), the back edges of the blade and inside the Sypder hole are sharp (to the point of almost being able to cut), the lack of jimping and the dull looking (satin look?) screws and pivot just look cheap.

I know its more of a budget knife, but I still paid around $US60 for it here in Japan and as soon as I picked it up in the shop, I knew I didn't really like it. But, I was pushed for time and certainly didn't want to leave empty handed, one of those silly impulse buys!! haha

So in short, it now sits in the centre console of my car and has been replaced by a G10 Dragonfly (which I adore) for EDC.

Sorry to sound negative, it's just not a knife for me.
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

I believe I posted on the newer version a while back, I'll try to search for it.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Thanks to all!
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

The Cat has become my EDC, knocking out (for now) the Caly 3, Chaparral, and Tuffram Cricket. I have the older CF version, which has better steel and jimping. I really like everything about it. Many of the CF Cats had QC problems. But if you can find a non-blemished original CF Cat at a reasonable price, I'd say jump on it. And if Spyderco ever brings out a G-10, or better still, textured CF Cat with all the elements and specs of the original, I'd buy more.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

The new 440C Cat would make a perfect EDC for me, if it had jimping. Still kicking myself for not having bought two S30V Cats, which happened to have jimping, while they were available.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Much as I like the new Cat -- and appreciate Sal responding to our requests to bring it back -- I love my original so much more!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie