CTS-20CP Para2 - Cuscadi scales

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
phillipsted

CTS-20CP Para2 - Cuscadi scales

Post by phillipsted »

I talked with Luke at Cuscadi last month and asked him to build me a custom set of scales to replace the grey G10 on my 20CP Para2. I've always wanted a burgundy micarta Para, and Luke said he had one small piece left in stock. 80€ and a couple of weeks later, they arrive in my mailbox - along with a small bag of German Gummi Bears and a thank you note! :)

The scales fit *perfectly* - Luke's craftsmanship is amazing. I asked him to leave the micarta only partially polished, giving it a "pocket worn" appearance and much better grip. One surprise is that the new knife is lighter than the original - the G10 weighs in a 106g, and the micarta weighs in at a svelte 99g.

The feel of micarta in-hand absolutely can not be beat. It is warm and organic-feeling - and the lockup now has a softer, but still very solid "clack". One downside is that the cotton substrate in the micarta can absorb a little moisture on the surface where the fabric has been exposed. But in my long experience with micarta, the moisture does not migrate down into the resin and doesn't degrade it over time. It just isn't completely impervious like it's glass-based G10 cousin.

This micarta 20CP Para2 is now my main EDC knife - and is on its way to being my favorite Spydie of all time! Thanks, Luke!

TedP

mil

Post by mil »

It looks really great! I want some german gummi bears too. :D
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Those are really nice TedP, it's amazing the difference some scales can make I bet they feel great.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I really like that! Gummi bears are good too :D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Dude those look amazing. Does he use a mill or something to round the edges and cut out the inside of the scales for the nested liners? Anytime someone takes the time to do it right like this I think it is well worth the price (maybe double).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Yeah, David - I was blown away by the fit and finish of the scales. He must have a CNC lathe because it was an *exact* fit for the liners. Everything is accurate to within fractions of a mm. Really nice stuff Luke does at CuScaDi (Custom Scale Division).

TedP
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Those scales really make the knife look special. Great purchase... im distressed burgundy micarta with envy. :D
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
haarspalter

Post by haarspalter »

great knife, luke is a very nice guy!
still havent had a knife done by him, but looking forward to!
his wooden scales are beautiful especially the ironwood ones...
:spyder: Mule k390-S110v-Cruwear, Gayle Bradley, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 20cp
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

Ok I am distraught right now, I WANT BURGANDY SCALES/ I WANT BURGANDY SCALES / I WANT BURGANDY SCALES.

I have been dreaming of a PORT RIT Dye, however it will not come close to that.

I hope he can get more.

Congrats, those are gorgeous
Holland

Post by Holland »

wow! amazing scales
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

phillipsted,
That's beautiful work, congrats. Yes the cutting tool was quite sharp, otherwise the linen* would have frayed at the cuts, screw heads.

* That is linen Micarta, right?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white