EDC a Sprint Run Collector's Club and Compression lock question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DaButha

EDC a Sprint Run Collector's Club and Compression lock question

Post by DaButha »

I'm brandie new around here, and I'm kinda excited. I got my first Spyderco, and it's a Blue Para 2, Collector's Club model.

I got it for several reasons:

1. Blue is my favorite color.
2. I've wanted a para 2 since I've seen them.
3. M390 steel seems incredible. (I'm used to 154CM)
4. I got my favorite (and my anniversary date) number as the serial number, #17.

Like most folks around here, I have a couple knives that I edc. But, I'm wondering how "insane" or what-not folks would consider edcing this knife.

As an aside, I have two more questions: One the compression lock is already at 50%. I'm new to this lock. Is this normal?

And lastly, does anybody know if the blue g10 fades? If so, anybody got pics? I don't mind it fading. I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Some would cry at the idea of you using it, some would say that not using it would be a crime. I'm a collector, so I do have my safe queens, but I also "EDC", or at least occasionally carry and use, a couple Spydercos a lot rarer than any Sprint Run. And, unless your a Collectors Club member and are building a pristine set of knives with matching numbers, the number adds little, if anything, to the value. Some folks will even avoid CC#d knives. So I'd say if it feels good in your hand, use it.

As for the rest, IMHO, 50% lock up sounds normal. The compression lock does not wear in the same way a liner or conventional framelock wears. Any color will fade over time if exposed to enough sunlight, but that's really only a problem for knives kept in display cases near windows. On the other hand, the blue, like all the light color peel ply G-10, does tend to get grubby looking rather quickly. Nail brush, soap, and water will fix that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DaButha

Post by DaButha »

Thank you so much for a great and very informative response!
Holland

Post by Holland »

congratulations! awesome first spyderco to have! get ready to spend more money :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I agree with Deacon - carry it if works for you. No harm in it being a safe queen or a user. I do carry and use a Manix 2 and Para 2 both in S90V steel and CF scales. Both models are considered highly desirable and now demand a fair price over the original MSRP. I try to be careful to not chip them, but they do get used.

Spydercos are all amazing. The way I look at it, there will always be better one coming and they are reasonably priced if you get them early, so why not enjoy them if that's your desire. I do have a couple extra S90V/CF Para 2s set aside. Collecting now, but conceivably I may use them. Enjoy what you have and figure out if enjoyment means having a like new knife or one you use. It's your decision and it will be the best one for you.
DaButha

Post by DaButha »

The more I think on it, the more I decide it's going to be my edc. It's a perfect size, and frankly I love it.

My biggest concern seems to be the compression lock at 50%, but seems like that is normal. I'm used to liner locks and 50% when new is bit of a concern; however, from what I'm reading the compression lock is a different kind of beast.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

[quote="DaButha"]The more I think on it, the more I decide it's going to be my edc. It's a perfect size, and frankly I love it.

I had a hard time getting used to using an expensive knife even after I bought it intending on using it. Then I figured the money was gone. I have a knife and if I don't use it the money was wasted. If it won't hold up to the work I indended it for the money was still wasted. So I now use my knives. I don't misuse or abuse them but I don't baby them either. Spyderco knives will hold up to more hard work than any knife I've owned. I hope you enjoy using your knife. It is definately a great knife and tool. After the first little scratch the other scratches won't be so bad. :) Like the first scratch on a new car. :D

Jack
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Congratulations on the knife! You have picked your first spydie well, the blue para2 has the best F&F of all the variants I have.

I agree that it would be a waste of money if you not use it as intended. I'm guessing you paid around $265 for that on the secondary market so why not enjoy using it? Unless you're a collector it's not going to matter, we can't bring our worldly belongings when we die anyways. Like Jack says, the money is gone and you have one heck of a knife. Use it! Enjoy it! just don't abuse it. :D
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

As far as fading, the only knife handle I've had fade was an yellow handled FRN Salt 1 that sat in the my car in the sun for a few weeks, I haven't noticed any fading on either my blue manix 2 or Para 2 handles though. Also I wouldn't worry about the lock up at 50%, I've had a Para that locked up at 95% with no problems at all, I even put pressure on the back of the blade to see if it would fail because of it and I couldn't get it to close or anything like that. I say use it, I use mine...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Well, Michael, that's a pretty set of technicolor knives you have there. I don't have that complete set, but working on it.
Sonny
DaButha

Post by DaButha »

Again, thanks everybody for their replies. Loved the picture and the lock-up % info.

Just to be cautious, I may buy two more para2s, just incase I ever need to swap scales and a blade :)
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

You know you want all of em! :D
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

One para2 is not enough! I am one of those that carry ALL my knives at least for a week. Even my CF s90v [which I was stupid not to buy 2 x,x] is my favorite, and has seen at least a years amount of pocket time /use. It feels different than the new variations of the para2's, particularly the new sprints. In that the new para2's seem to feel like smooth butter in opening and closing, with a softer click. While my s90v flies as if it has no inhibitions, and a nice loud click. Its just perfect lol. But I have had 3 para2's in rotation, the artic grey cts 20cp, digicam dlc para2, and my cf s90v. From my use of g10, the color doesn't quite fade like you may be thinking. Its more of the outer surface wearing down a little /getting dirty [which is the more common variant]. So once you give it a nice clean, it will usually spruce things back up [just a damp somewhat soapy water + rag/towel works wonders]. The g10 actually wears down very slowly, [in terms of traction that is] so I don't think you need to worry too much about it :p . But I'm one of those that use all my knives, even my raindrop damascus large sebenza is a daily carry :p

edit: Also I have been told that you can further "spruce" up the g10 by giving it a nice oiling on the surface - eg some use ballistol with a toothbrush and lightly scrub [albeit this is also an act of regular cleaning itself] But it supposedly gives the g10 a "rejuvenated" appearance, which the oil's are basically just working with the outermost layer [since g10 is fairly impervious to most things]. Just be warned it may leave the smell of whatever you use on the g10 itself. This isn't something I would do often though, maybe like once a year if your up for it.

I personally have never seen the need to do this to my knives [only tried it once on a different knife to see how it is. And it was kind of meh for me, so proceed with caution if you ever get to wanting to do this]. I only just use a towel and warm water/ a minuscule amount of soap and scrub the handles a bit.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

enjoy the knife and i wouldn't worry about the compression lock. i bet 10 yrs from now it will only have moved .5 millimeter if that. if it does for some weird reason move to far over you still have Spyderco's great warranty.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I have to reveal my ignorance. What does XX% lockup mean?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nick D. Fingerz wrote:I have to reveal my ignorance. What does XX% lockup mean?
I'd imagine as with most knife related terms, it means different things to different people. To me, it means that when the knife is opened the side of the lockbar nearest the blade travels XX% of the distance between fully disengaged and hitting the opposite liner. That is to say XX% as far as it possibly could move.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nick D. Fingerz

The Deacon wrote:I'd imagine as with most knife related terms, it means different things to different people. To me, it means that when the knife is opened the side of the lockbar nearest the blade travels XX% of the distance between fully disengaged and hitting the opposite liner. That is to say XX% as far as it possibly could move.
Thanks, Deacon. That was my thought too, but it seemed the more I read on the topic the more confused I became.
DaButha

Post by DaButha »

The Deacon wrote:I'd imagine as with most knife related terms, it means different things to different people. To me, it means that when the knife is opened the side of the lockbar nearest the blade travels XX% of the distance between fully disengaged and hitting the opposite liner. That is to say XX% as far as it possibly could move.
This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.
Nick D. Fingerz

DaButha wrote:This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.
It wasn't your post that confused me, just a combination of things I'd read in various places plus my own tendency to over think some simple things.

For what it's worth, my new Para 2 locks about .015" past being flush with the release side of the blade. I'd say that's the way I'd set up a new knife if I were building it.