Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cesar

Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience

Post by cesar »

Hi guys! I have just bought the Tenacious Black plain edge from knifecenter.com (here in Brazil no Spyderco stores yet). I have research about this model and discovered that is a line of same standard knives, different sizes, called Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience.

I am happy that Spyderco have economy knives with high standard features. Spyderco is a brand that the true serious knife users trust, so it is fair that the knives have cost parallel with its quality.

So, the purpose of this thread is to know a few about Spyderco philosophy in produce Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience series to the public, as there is Military, Endura and Delica to compare with. Some details about production are welcome too!

Thanks!

Cesar
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

There is a fourth knife in that same line of knives, it is called the Ambitious. I have one of each. They are great knives at a more than reasonable price point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have both the Persistence and the Resilience and I think that they are really very good the the materials used and the cost. They don't have the same quality materials as you will find in the USA, Japanese or Taiwanese made knives, but the value is excellent and they will serve you very well none the less.
On the hunt for...
cesar

Post by cesar »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I have both the Persistence and the Resilience and I think that they are really very good the the materials used and the cost. They don't have the same quality materials as you will find in the USA, Japanese or Taiwanese made knives, but the value is excellent and they will serve you very well none the less.
I have 2 other Spyderco knives: 1st is an Endura 2 years ago, and my EDC Manix 2 that I have 1 year ago. I am more than happy with these knives, but I was looking for a low cost superb knife. Why low cost? Just because I like to stress the knife in sharpness and IF the knife is lost, I will not cry for weeks.

Many time of research until decide for Tenacious. As my instructors always said, is better for SD a black coated blade than the shine steel blade. I have navigated trough many brand's catalogs (Cold Steel, CRKT, SOG, etc) looking for under 50 bucks knife. I just have personal preference for Spyderco, so every time I look for a good knife of another brand, I think "let me take another look on Spyderco catalog..." So I found the Resilience model, but far big than I expect for a EDC knife. I like Endura size, so I decide for Tenacious, just a little smaller and the only black coated.

I am amazing that Spyderco have just the very similar models in Military, Endura and Delica for Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience, so why make better knives (in case of Tenacious compared with Endura - G10, phosphor bronze washers, flat ground, larger spyderhole, screw construction, liner lock instead back lock, coated blade, etc.), with very different prices (about 25 dollars difference one another). My question is about this matter.

If someone who have Endura and Tenacious could write a comparison, will help a lot. And if someone of Spyderco headquarters read it and could write about Persistence, Tenacious & Resilience series and why the low cost, will both solve my question.

Thank you all!

Cesar
:spyder: This is my faithful everyday companion since 2010: Manix 2 Guetto Wave :spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Spyderco does what they can to make a knife for everyone. And to make a "cheap" or low cost knife, having them made in China is an easy way to do that. Also, using 8Cr13MoV steel keeps the cost low as well. The edge holding of 8Cr13MoV is not as good as the VG-10 used on the Endura, or other steels used on other Spyderco Knives (S30V, 154CM, M4 etc)
The G10 is even a slightly lower quality with slightly reduced traction.
So what you get is a low cost knife with many of the features that people like in a Spyderco but in lower cost materials. This means that there is a Spyderco for almost every budget and a Spyderco that will fit nearly all laws for pocket knives in most countries around the world.
On the hunt for...
cesar

Post by cesar »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Spyderco does what they can to make a knife for everyone. And to make a "cheap" or low cost knife, having them made in China is an easy way to do that. Also, using 8Cr13MoV steel keeps the cost low as well. The edge holding of 8Cr13MoV is not as good as the VG-10 used on the Endura, or other steels used on other Spyderco Knives (S30V, 154CM, M4 etc)
The G10 is even a slightly lower quality with slightly reduced traction.
So what you get is a low cost knife with many of the features that people like in a Spyderco but in lower cost materials. This means that there is a Spyderco for almost every budget and a Spyderco that will fit nearly all laws for pocket knives in most countries around the world.
I have heard that 8Cr13MoV is very similar to AUS8, used in many high end knives. Is it right? Edge holding in SD is IMHO a matter of preference, because at most in a SD situations you only need one cut or two to end a fight, and if you finish alive, you can go back home and resharpen your knife. What really does matter for me in a knife is fast deployment, ergonomics, firm grip and reversible clip, because I am lefty. If the knife holds edge enough to protect myself, it is OK and I trust Spyderco will not sign a knife that simply cannot keep the edge when needed.

Thanks!

Cesar
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

cesar wrote:If someone who have Endura and Tenacious could write a comparison, will help a lot.

I own both, as do many here.

The Endura model has a higher quality steel in VG-10, which not only holds an edge better but is also more corrosion and stain resistant. That said, 8Cr13MoV steel isn't junk either, and it takes and holds an acceptable edge for sure. In many regards, the design and fit and finish of the Tenacious is more pleasing, since you get G10 scales and a very nice deployment and lock up, thanks to washers. I like both knife models.

As for "value" the Tenacious is hard to beat. You are compromising slightly on blade steel. And you are saving money since it is manufactured in China. With the Endura you pay for materials and a higher cost of manufacture. Both represent a very fair value proposition.