para 2 vs grip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderBite

para 2 vs grip

Post by SpyderBite »

i know this is a spydie forum, but i was wondering how the griptillian would stack up against the para 2, i own a mini grip, and am wondering which i should pick up..
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I like both knives, but the Para2 IMO is the better knife.
G10 handles with a flow through design, strong compression lock, cpm-s30v blade steel, finger choil, more confortable pocket carry.
I like the Griptillain but its a tad too thick and the handles feel cheap to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

para 2 all the way

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Popsickle wrote:para 2 all the way

I guess it's safe to say you like paras a bit... :)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I guess it's safe to say you like paras a bit... :)
what gave you that idea? lol
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bite, despite being a serious spydiholic I do (did) have a love for the full-size griptillian. I have owned (and still do) quite a few different BM Grips; M2HS Ritter, D2, 154cm and they all have their strong siuts. My Para & Para 2 love seems to be more deeply rooted. I enjoy the wider variety of steels and the more advanced engineering aspects of the Para line. I do consider the Axis lock one of the top 5 lock designs I have ever used, but the comp lock is up there as well. My personal opinion is that you can get twice as many griptillians for the price of the Para 2, but the Para 2 IS twice the knife!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Popsickle wrote:what gave you that idea? lol
Ha! Wild guess on my part. :D
SpyderBite

Post by SpyderBite »

question on steel. i have sharpened vg10, 154cm, 440c, aus8, and many other steels. but nothing as hard as s30v... if i can sharpen vg10 with no issues, how much harder is s30v? i have very limited equiptment, but make it work with what i currently have
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

I used to have a mini grip and it was a great edc blade, just the right size and I loved the blade shape. But when I got the chance to edc a delica 4 it changed my mind about what I like in an edc blade. FFG is a must for me now and the delica is so thin it left my pocket more useable.
SpyderBite

Post by SpyderBite »

Mike79 wrote:I used to have a mini grip and it was a great edc blade, just the right size and I loved the blade shape. But when I got the chance to edc a delica 4 it changed my mind about what I like in an edc blade. FFG is a must for me now and the delica is so thin it left my pocket more useable.
i have a ffg endura, and a tenacious, and completly am in love with the FFG. but my issue is can i sharpen s30v to the desired extent that i would be happy with, or should i stick with another 154cm blade
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

SpyderBite wrote:i have a ffg endura, and a tenacious, and completly am in love with the FFG. but my issue is can i sharpen s30v to the desired extent that i would be happy with, or should i stick with another 154cm blade
S30v is not hard to sharpen at all. Great steel. I have a mini grip so Im no stranger to benchmade. The Para 2 is the better knife though. You can get the black with satin blade for just under $100. G10 handles, strong compression lock, excellent ergos (way better then the griptillian), premium s30v steel, and great blade rentention. One thing I love about spydercos is that their knives allow for multiple grip stlyes, all of which are plenty secure. Get the para 2, you wont regret it.

Also if there is any issues with legality of gravity knives in your area, the para 2 is again the way to go. It cannot open with the flick of the wrist as the benchmades can. But will still smoothly and quickly fly open with the flick of the thumb.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Sht

Post by Sht »

I dint like the para2 hat much but it's hands down better than the grip. Maybe if you wanted to go with Wilkins gripset it would be a more even match. When you compare spyderco vs benchmade you can't do it based on price for price. You got to spend more to get something comparable.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
SpyderBite

Post by SpyderBite »

im just worried about only having a sharpmaker as a sharpener and s30v steel...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Years ago it came down to a Mini Grip vs. a Native. I chose the Native and haven't looked back. The Para 2 is just far and beyond on another level.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Drkknight614 wrote:S30v is not hard to sharpen at all. Great steel. I have a mini grip so Im no stranger to benchmade. The Para 2 is the better knife though. You can get the black with satin blade for just under $100. G10 handles, strong compression lock, excellent ergos (way better then the griptillian), premium s30v steel, and great blade rentention. One thing I love about spydercos is that their knives allow for multiple grip stlyes, all of which are plenty secure. Get the para 2, you wont regret it.

Also if there is any issues with legality of gravity knives in your area, the para 2 is again the way to go. It cannot open with the flick of the wrist as the benchmades can. But will still smoothly and quickly fly open with the flick of the thumb.
I agree with you about the s30v. Sharpmaker works fine on s30v. However, your statement about flicking open a Para 2 is true only for my old, first run Para 2 from 2010. My early 2012 Para 2 flicks open super easily by depressing the lock and gently flicking the wrist, similar to an axis lock knife. Spyderco made some major improvements to the Para 2's compression lock subsequent to the initial production run. The new one drops shut under the weight of the blade when lock is released, but the earlier one will not do it despite careful cleaning and lubrication, and never could. And I have used it quite a bit, too, so it is well broken in.

I have a Grip and agree that the Para 2 is superior in many ways.
SpyderBite

Post by SpyderBite »

para 2. thats final. thanks David. i have found all of your posts to be very helpful, and entertaining by the way :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

SpyderBite wrote:im just worried about only having a sharpmaker as a sharpener and s30v steel...
There will be no issue with the Sharpmaker and S30V. If you use the proper technique, the Sharpmaker should be able to tackle most any steel out there.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderBite wrote:para 2. thats final. thanks David. i have found all of your posts to be very helpful, and entertaining by the way :)
No problem, glad to help :D

Also there's something about S30V, i think personally i can put a better edge on this steel than any other that i've used, even over VG10. Must be some balance between how i sharpen and how the steel likes to be sharpened or something. I just finished my Military a few days ago and it was so sharp it would pop hair off my arm without pressing into the skin, it just tree tops hair. Too bad it loses that level of sharpness the first time you use it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I'm a bit late to this thread. I went the opposite way of many and traded my first (and so far only) Para 2 for a Grip but it wasn't just any Griptillian, it was a Ritter full size. I traded because it was about thirty dollars more expensive than the standard Para 2 and I had always wanted to try the Ritter. I do like Griptillians and now own both the mini and full size Ritter models though I regret getting rid of that Para 2. In response to the opening question though, I think the Para 2 is a better choice for overall usefullness and something about it just screams quality. As others have said, S30V is not hard to sharpen at all and it will cut and cut and cut even if its not razor sharp for more than the first few cuts.

After reading this I'm just going to have to budget for a new Para 2, the Sage III I just ordered will have to tide me over for a little while though.
SpyderBite

Post by SpyderBite »

Evil D wrote:No problem, glad to help :D

Also there's something about S30V, i think personally i can put a better edge on this steel than any other that i've used, even over VG10. Must be some balance between how i sharpen and how the steel likes to be sharpened or something. I just finished my Military a few days ago and it was so sharp it would pop hair off my arm without pressing into the skin, it just tree tops hair. Too bad it loses that level of sharpness the first time you use it.
to me it seems like your favorite knife is a para2 from what i have read from your posts haha, how long does the utility edge last in comparison to vg10/ corrosion resistance vs vg10? although i take very good care of my blades, so it shouldnt be a huge deal..