What model is this?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Madriverarms

What model is this?

Post by Madriverarms »

I have had this knife for a very long time and can't recal what model it is or when it was made:

[ATTACH]20394[/ATTACH]

The blade is marked on one side:

Spyderco
AUS-8A Stainless

and on the other:

SEKI-CITY
JAPAN

Any information would be much appreciated.

-MRA
Attachments
Unknown Spyderco.jpg
heathen

Post by heathen »

"Remote release" I believe.
God Bless
Heath
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

heathen wrote:"Remote release" I believe.
it is indeed
Madriverarms

Post by Madriverarms »

I looked for pics on the web. The one I have does not have the Spyderco emblem etched onto the blade. Any way to tell when this one was made and what the value of it is?

-MRA
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

I believe it is a C30SBK Remote Release, first generation (without logo).
Maybe with the model number you can get some pricing.
Mike
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Madriverarms wrote:I have had this knife for a very long time and can't recal what model it is or when it was made:

[ATTACH]20394[/ATTACH]

The blade is marked on one side:

Spyderco
AUS-8A Stainless

and on the other:

SEKI-CITY
JAPAN

Any information would be much appreciated.

-MRA
Hi Madriverarms, and welcome the Forum.

As the others already mentioned, the knife pictured is indeed the C30 Remote Release. It looks like you probably own one of the earlier versions. (This knife was originally introduced in 1995 through 2001. In 2006, the model was re-released and can still be found at a few major knife retailers). According to the website, Spyderco Source:

This [Remote Release] knife also comes in a Remote Release II second generation that has a slightly modified blade shape. The knife is similar to a Spyderco Delica but with the added remote release carabiner attachment on the end. The uniqueness of the carabiner is that you can release it with your hand using the same grip as you would hold the knife were you to be opening it, allowing you to simultaneously remove the knife and open it without changing grips. (http://spydercosource.com/2009/05/spyde ... lease-c30/)

As for what your knife would be worth today, it's kind of hard to say, but I would personally say it would fetch more simply due to its being one of the earlier versions. For what it’s worth, though, the MSRP in 1995 was $62.95 and in 2009 the MSRP was up to $93.95. Either way, it’s a great little knife and perfect for any Spyderco collection.

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal