Street beat or edge pro apex?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Street beat or edge pro apex?

Post by SolidState »

I have enough money to buy one or the other. I have a sharpmaker, but lust after the mirror edges I see on the forum. I also love the look of the street beat.

What would you guys suggest? Do I go with the new edges or the new knife?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
shotcaller88

Post by shotcaller88 »

I thought you were a very confused customer there for a second. Comparing a knife and a sharpener.

I started carrying a Street Beat recently and love it. I carry it horizontally, just to the right of my belt buckle, works out well with my Glock at 4 o'clock.

Anyway, sounds like it's really your choice to make. If you have a bunch of knives that you love, but need a good sharpening go with the edge pro. If you're looking for a compact fixed blade, go for the street beat for sure!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've had an Edge Pro for going on 3 years I think. Since it's not me with the decision to make it's a no-brainer. Get the Edge Pro. It will serve you for many years on all your knives, including the Street Beat when you get it later. Just so you understand most of the mirror edges you see have probably been finished with a strop. All of mine are.

There are a few things that make the EP such a great tool. You can get any angle you want. You can easily determine the existing angle on any knife. You will remove less steel during sharpenings and touch ups because you can set the EP to the same angle you profiled it. Your bevels will be FLAT. That is very important when trying for a mirror finish. When hand sharpening you will always have at least a little bit of a convex bevel. You have a huge selection of stones you can get for the EP. I should stop. I'm probably repeating info you already know. I could go on and on as to whythe EP is a great sharpening system. The thing is the EP is going to be good for you for all your knives, your kitchen knives, your friends knives, etc. You can set the EP to any angle that is already on your buddy's knife. You never have to reprofile an edge to get it sharp even when you should.

Good luck with your decision. This is one of those that you will be happy with no matter what you choose. :D

Jack
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Well, Jack, you have a good sales pitch there. I'm going to buy something one of these days, instead of another new knife.
Thanks for the info. It sounds good.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I was in the same boat as you once upon a time but I already had a few knives at the time and another knife would just be another knife. So it was the edge pro apex. Never looked back.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Go with the sharpener, the hardware & software to make shiny new edges is more permanent than a new knife. Besides, the Streetbeat is a regular catalog item. It'll be there for your next purchase.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram