Off topic Ramblings..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
darkstar29

Off topic Ramblings..

Post by darkstar29 »

I am creating this thread for any ideas, thoughts, ramblings, observations, and interesting stuff that pops into your head.

Basically, a catch-all for everything non-knife related that you want to talk about, but don't want to post a new thread for.. :)
Like a random talk/discussion type thing.

Now. The rules.. Yes, sadly, there are rules.
-Obviously all forum rules still apply.. So, obey those at all times. :spyder:
-"fsjdflkdhjfoirew" posts are not allowed.. That's not rambling chatter, or funny. It's annoying.
-This thread is for YOU. Post what you like, and discuss.. But don't impinge on other threads.
-Have fun :)

I'll start.

My job requires that I work a 'swing shift.' Which means I work 6 weeks on days, then rotate to afternoons for 6 weeks, then go to midnights for 6 weeks.. Then the whole thing starts over.. It sucks. As soon as I get used to one shift, it's time to go to the next.. Messes up a body and mind.. Not to mention the family ramifications. I've been doing it for 12 years.
Right now, I'm on midnights.. The worst of the three. And I hate it..
Bad. Only two more weeks of it, though. I think.. Third shift messes with my days/dates.. :)

Anyhow. I'm off to bed.. Remember folks--This Thread Is for You.. I hope you like it. :) Now post your random, off-topic thoughts! :)
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Realized I love sharp things. I work at a major glass companycutting glass and building windows

Post by 1623 »

I finally came to the conclusion that I'm starting to enjoy my knife collecting hobby a bit more than my other of the last 6 years. I realized this when I was contemplating a purchase recently and said to myself "I could buy that, but if I do that's almost three new Spydercos."

Even with the non essentials in life we change and grow.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm really enjoying my youngest son getting into Boy Scouts. We have been going camping for quite a few years, but now that he has graduated from Cub Scouts into a Boy Scout troop, he is focusing on merit badges and building his outdoor skills. I just *love* getting questions from him about knots, orienteering skills, pioneering, survival camping, fire building, and other scout craft.

...and at age 11, he knows over half of the current Spyderco lineup by heart! He's so cute - he calls my 1st Gen Delica "old school!" :)

TedP

(P.S. - good thread darkstar!)
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

My granddaugter saw me rearrange my micro maxpedition organizer, for the millionth time, and she asked me to buy her one. After I cried tears of joy, I jumped online and bought one for her, same color as mine, black. Then she tells me she would like a flashlight and a knife, just like mine! After more tears were shed, I ordered her an inexpensive light, but no knife, she is only three.

I also bought her a Hello Kitty pink pen, notebook, Tinkerbell crayons, and band aids to put inside as well. I will ensure that her EDC collection will grow as she grows and I will spoil her rotten with the good stuff. I have smiled for three days now thinking about my granddaughter getting started in her EDC life style!

Oh yeah, I already have her knife, gun, and rifle already picked out, but that is years down the road!
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Thanks phillip. :)
I was a Scout back in the day. Ah the memories.. The week-long, prank-filled camping expeditions were the best!..
I never made it to Eagle Scout, even though I wanted to.. :(
It seemed the older I got, the less time I had for it..
Still, I had a great time doing it, and definitly learned a lot.
and cut through the air
angusW

Post by angusW »

I'm building a new shed in my backyard. It will be 12' X 8'. On Friday I put down the footing which consists of ten cement solid blocks sitting on top of 4" of gravel and 2" of screening. Yesterday I built the deck and today the four walls went up. I haven't bought the material for the ceiling joists and rafters yet and tomorrow is a stat holiday here so I'm going to take it easy. I use to frame houses years ago but could not imagine doing that trade now a days as my back is killing me at this moment. I would love to have a beer right now but I just took some back pain medicine.

My four year old daughter came up to me today and asked me when I finish building my house, if I could build her a house. Pretty difficult to say no when that cute face with big brown eyes are looking at you so she will be getting her house once I'm done with my shed.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
maa14

Post by maa14 »

I just built one of Alton Brown's flower pot smokers and I will be smoking a pork butt on it tomorrow and...that is about it...
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

All thumbs way up. Way, way up.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Looks good, Rwb1500.. Gonna have to check it out. :)
and cut through the air
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

BadFish wrote:Realized I love sharp things. I work at a major glass companycutting glass and building windows
Well, duh?! You do realize what forum you're posting on, right? :D j/k
Glass work has always interested me. Especially the hand-blown stuff.
Also, your handle is one of my favorite songs:
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKox6__hziY?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKox6__hziY?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
1623 wrote:I finally came to the conclusion that I'm starting to enjoy my knife collecting hobby a bit more than my other of the last 6 years. I realized this when I was contemplating a purchase recently and said to myself "I could buy that, but if I do that's almost three new Spydercos."

Even with the non essentials in life we change and grow.
I'm facing the same dilemma, man. And the time frame is eerily similar.. :eek:
I used to spend tons of money on my fishing gear.. Now, new rods and reels are taking a backseat to new Spydies.. que sera, sera.. eh?
Azwaiian wrote:My granddaugter saw me rearrange my micro maxpedition organizer, for the millionth time, and she asked me to buy her one. After I cried tears of joy, I jumped online and bought one for her, same color as mine, black. Then she tells me she would like a flashlight and a knife, just like mine! After more tears were shed, I ordered her an inexpensive light, but no knife, she is only three.

I also bought her a Hello Kitty pink pen, notebook, Tinkerbell crayons, and band aids to put inside as well. I will ensure that her EDC collection will grow as she grows and I will spoil her rotten with the good stuff. I have smiled for three days now thinking about my granddaughter getting started in her EDC life style!

Oh yeah, I already have her knife, gun, and rifle already picked out, but that is years down the road!
Way to catch her young, Azwaiian! :thumbsup:
Now, teach her to fish. :)
angusW wrote:I'm building a new shed in my backyard. It will be 12' X 8'. On Friday I put down the footing which consists of ten cement solid blocks sitting on top of 4" of gravel and 2" of screening. Yesterday I built the deck and today the four walls went up. I haven't bought the material for the ceiling joists and rafters yet and tomorrow is a stat holiday here so I'm going to take it easy. I use to frame houses years ago but could not imagine doing that trade now a days as my back is killing me at this moment. I would love to have a beer right now but I just took some back pain medicine.

My four year old daughter came up to me today and asked me when I finish building my house, if I could build her a house. Pretty difficult to say no when that cute face with big brown eyes are looking at you so she will be getting her house once I'm done with my shed.
Well, the shed was practice.. Just take a few Aleeve for the back-ache...14 years from now.. ;)
maa14 wrote:I just built one of Alton Brown's flower pot smokers and I will be smoking a pork butt on it tomorrow and...that is about it...
Save me the tail. .. :D
and cut through the air
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok here goes.

My Mustang has been down for a few months for an interior swap, and i'm about fed up with it. All of a sudden the whole area is dried up and i can't find parts to save my life. It's sunny and gorgeous outside and i'm missing cruise time, not to mention i built my stroker in '09 and STILL haven't made it to the strip to see what it'll run yet.

On a brighter note, i'm about to get a promotion at work that's gonna bring about a 40% pay increase :eek: I wish i could say i was gonna make a lot of money, but still not all that much but i'm pretty excited. I'll be right back to what i was making 5 years ago when i got laid off lol. Perspective is one of the most important lessons you can learn in life. If you don't like how something is going, consider another way it could be going...it's not always good or bad. Five years ago i would've told you i made crap money and needed a raise, now here i am busting my *** to get back to that pay and wishing everyday that i still made it. Things can always be better, but remember they can also be worse.

As far as my knife hobby goes, i'm sort of in a rut. As shocking as it might sound, i haven't had the itch to buy anything lately, except a Yojimbo 2 which aren't readily available yet. Aside from that knife, i can't really think of anything i'm dying to buy. Between my 20CP Para 2 and my Military, i don't really have a need to carry anything else except my ZDP Ladybug and occasionally my Cento 4, but i'm slowly getting to where i favor the compression lock so much that i don't wanna carry anything that doesn't have one, and even the liner lock on the Military gets on my nerves sometimes. I've come to realize that, while back locks are sort of a standard and an old friend, i'm pretty burned out on the same old thing and i've come to rely on the fast one handed lock/drop close that you get with the compression lock. I've been debating about giving the Manix 2 another chance if i can score a S30V/FFG for a good price, but we'll see about that.

Oh, and i've lost God knows how many hours to Diablo 3. This game is AWESOME. It's so good that i've caught myself day dreaming about it while at work lol. In fact, i don't know why i'm not playing it right now lol. It's a good game in its own right, but Diablo was one of the first PC games i ever played and it started me on the whole RPG thing so for me there's a lot of nostalgia with it too, and any reason i find to feel like a kid again, i'm all over it.

Speaking of feeling like a kid again, i've been riding my bike (bicycle) every weekend for a couple months now and i've come to remember why this was the first passion in my life. When i was a kid there was no other feeling like cruising down the street on a nice day on my bike, and i'm finding that it's no different 15 years later and it's a great stress relief. My only problem in life is balancing my time and money between parenting/cars/knives/gaming/riding/art and all the other typical day to day crap that we adults deal with. But, i guess i have little to complain about :)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Great post, Evil D!! I love how you summed it all up with 'But, I guess I have little to complain about.'
If one sits down and really thinks about it, that could apply to most situations in a persons life.
Well done, sir! :THUMBSUP:
and cut through the air
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

darkstar29 wrote:Looks good, Rwb1500.. Gonna have to check it out. :)
Tis, quite. I'm enjoying it again tonight.

I am not a fruit beer guy either. At all. I like porter and stout, and Belgian stuff for the most part, also a sucker for a potent IPA. But this stuff is like someone made the most delicious raspberry lemonade you could ever imagine and put a few drops of it in an excellent, well balanced, crisp wheat ale. It is THE perfect summer beer. It's not one of those things you can only drink one of either, like Bud Light Lime, or garbage like that. You can drink it like you would normal beer, however much you prefer to indulge. ;)

+1 on Badfish btw. I haven't heard that in years. We're getting old.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great idea, Darkstar! I like it.
Just as a forewarning, I do tend to go off on the non-sequitur trail from time to time. So, you may have to holler at me if things get too far off the beaten path. LOL. ;)

On that note, I just finished watching the movie “The Grey,” starring Liam Neeson. I was pretty impressed with this movie. I mean, talk about a gritty, white-knuckled adventure! I had always been a fan of the movie, "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins--but this movie makes "The Edge" look like a walk through Disney Land. Has anyone else seen this movie? I won’t spoil it for those who may still want to see it, but overall, I thought the film/acting was pretty decent. The last scene was pretty powerful too. I’ll leave you with the poem that Neeson’s character quoted shortly before the end of the movie. I find it hauntingly intriguing:

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I'm glad you like it, SpyderNut. I've seen similar threads do very well on other forums.. So I figured the upstanding citizenry who inhabit this corner of the web might enjoy it. :)
and cut through the air
thog94

Post by thog94 »

A little slice of heaven today, the other slice came in the form of a new plasma cutter. Can't wait to use the new toys at work :D

O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Thanks for starting this thread darkstar29.
Gotta tell ya, gotta tell the world.
Our freind Mike lays in a hospital bed. Been near to three years now since his accident. Doc's do what they can & we pray for his recovery. He is still there. One of the boys in his frustration with why, & why God leaves him laying there said, "pray for an answer O".
I prayed as I was driving to work. Lord, why. Why does Mike not get up. What is the blockage, is it Mike, is it us ?
God answered me with a vision like a head up display on my cars windscreen, right in front off my eyes like an old film negative.
ISAIAH 46:10

Post by 1623 »

Positive thoughts for your friend O...stay strong.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

1623 wrote:Positive thoughts for your friend O...stay strong.
Plus 1