Goods and Bads of Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MrGlockJock25

Goods and Bads of Para 2

Post by MrGlockJock25 »

Just ordered a Black/Satin Para 2. What are the positives and negatives of it. How stripp resistant are the screws? How smooth? Also got a Black and O.D. green lanyard. $114 from BladeHQ with the lanyard and free shipping.
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

I think the Golden CO knives are one of the top in construction / screws / loctite on screws / liners / pivot system / lock up /...
Just my .5 cents from playing around with a bunch of different companies knives and owning them.
:-)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have not seen anyone complain about the Para2 on manufacturing issues. That's how excellent a knife it is. Wait till you get yours. If you don't like that knife, you would be one of the few here that don't.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
TekNyc

Post by TekNyc »

Just some bad on this knife I love:
The clip screws will strip if you are not careful. I carry mine tip down and when I do maintenance I have to remove the clip.
Compared to the new para 2 I just bought my old one G10 has worn down its grippyness a lot by carrying it daily.
The lock does get strong and can pinch your hand.

Other than that its my favorite blade.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I think you would love it! All of mine are smooth out of the box but I hear some people saying that their's is a bit tight. It will loosen up after break in with a little oil.

Why are you worried about stripping the screws? are you going to take the knife apart every month? I don't see this as an issue and I doubt you would need to take the knife apart ever. The knife has open construction so you can wash the inside and dry it out without any trouble and if you do have to take it apart to "fix" something I suggest you don't and just send the knife in and have Spyderco take a look.

Just my 0.02.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

The only thing I can think of is I wouldn't mind if the blade were a little longer say 3.6", of course that's a preference not really a bad, goods: Love the compression lock, blade shape, ffg, g10 texturing/grip, ergonomics, flow through construction, light weight/easy to carry, ease of one hand opening and closing.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Pros: Ergos steel, price, blade shape, it is a spyderco, comp lock, the screws dont strip easily, weight, g10, different variations, and everything else that applies to a knife

CONS:
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Funny I found a thread like this while searching for old threads. Strip resistant? Get good tools and go easy on it, or send it in. Golden makes quality stuff (I haven't bought one). Smooth should be after you break it in a little, loosen the pivot screw little by little and keep trying it till you see what you need. You can also put pencil on it apparently that helps.

Don't drop it and break the tip, seems to be the single biggest con.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The only cons I have on it is that it comes with a shiny clip and rides high in the pocket. It feels much smaller than its size, and is built like a lazer tank.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The cons are that you'll want to get all the sprints. ;)
shqxk

Post by shqxk »

The cons are many people just missed to order the green para sprint, it should be 1 piece/person :(
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Everything is good, but the bad is that it will quickly take the role of primary edc blade from your previous one...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The cons are that you'll want to get all the sprints. ;)
Yep, that's about it.

Oh, well...maybe one other. If you like to pry with your knife blades, you may break the tip. :rolleyes:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well I tend to disagree with a lot of the para2 fans, I think that there are definitely some big Cons.

Pros: Good pointy tip, decent belly, comes in interesting steels, lightweight, strong lock.

Cons: Palm swell is too large (perhaps more correctly, the finger indent at the front is too deep, which I know was only made that way to allow the hole to be unobstructed, but was a design mistake IMO), the choil is too large and eliminates too much cutting edge, the blade is too short, the lock is on the wrong side and the cut out for the lock is too large for the lock tab.

I know that a lot of people here will disagree with a lot of my cons list...but that is just my honest opinion of the knife. It doesn't mean that it is a bad knife at all, I own 3 (S90V, 20CP, M390) with a 4th eventually coming. Just that I I think that there are some improvements that could be made and that there are other Spydies that I feel are much better.
On the hunt for...
TotinCh1p

Post by TotinCh1p »

I think that the PM2 is an excellent knife. The only con I can think of is that the G10 can be a little harsh on your pants until you wear it down/filled in with crud. I have seen some people sand the G10 and if you do it right it looks very good.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

That's why there are so many different knives in the catalog - lots of choices! :D
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Well I tend to disagree with a lot of the para2 fans, I think that there are definitely some big Cons.

Pros: Good pointy tip, decent belly, comes in interesting steels, lightweight, strong lock.

Cons: Palm swell is too large (perhaps more correctly, the finger indent at the front is too deep, which I know was only made that way to allow the hole to be unobstructed, but was a design mistake IMO), the choil is too large and eliminates too much cutting edge, the blade is too short, the lock is on the wrong side and the cut out for the lock is too large for the lock tab.

I know that a lot of people here will disagree with a lot of my cons list...but that is just my honest opinion of the knife. It doesn't mean that it is a bad knife at all, I own 3 (S90V, 20CP, M390) with a 4th eventually coming. Just that I I think that there are some improvements that could be made and that there are other Spydies that I feel are much better.
BAL

Post by BAL »

maa14 wrote:Pros: Ergos steel, price, blade shape, it is a spyderco, comp lock, the screws dont strip easily, weight, g10, different variations, and everything else that applies to a knife

CONS:
I have another con to add.
tr4022

Ye-e-e-e-e-s?

Post by tr4022 »

BAL wrote:I have another con to add.
And that would be?
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

The PM2 so good it bad!
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
BAL

Post by BAL »

tr4022 wrote:And that would be?
It was there, you just have to read between the lines.

LINE_____________LINE