Para 2 Original Black G10 Still Valued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmek5

Para 2 Original Black G10 Still Valued?

Post by pmek5 »

I have been looking at the Para 2 in standard black G10 with satin S30V blade now for some time. With all the Sprint Runs in all the various steels, I wonder how many of you are content just owning one of the original versions in S30V? I have hesitated getting one because its a little bigger than what I normally carry (CRK Small Sebenza). I don't think I can put off any longer knowing how great this design is overall.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

if your going to get one of the originals, do the black handle/DLC with black hardware (they recently changed the hardware to black).

it looks so nasty, i can barely look at pics without.... ehehaahh yup

[img]http://www.gpknives.com/images/spyderco ... large].jpg[/img]

And BTW i am perfectly content with my S30V DLC/digi. it definitely gets the most pocket time by a long shot, and thats what they say gauges your favorite knife!
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I carry my digi-camo para 2 often too. I have like 3 paras in my rotation. The only other knife that can take the place of a para in my LFP is the grey SB caly. I don't have a regular black para 2 but if I did, it's gonna get carried too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The standard model can be had as low as about $97. Given that CPM-S30v is still a fantastic steel that puts it squarely in the "ZOMG NICE VALUEE!!!1" range.

Sprints are sprints and priced accordingly. Even the old Spydies with 440v, Gin1, etc are extremely functional tools.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

You darn right they are still valued highly! In fact they are very hard to find right now and even used ones are selling for pretty good prices. I went back and forth about buying a standard black model or selling all my worldly possessions and buying the blue version. Well you can guess what happened.

I wouldn't mind having the all black one myself, but maybe an all black Military would make a better companion to my blue saber.
B. Baer

Post by B. Baer »

pmek5,

I went from carrying an original Bucklite 424 for years, to a Delica 4 FFG, which quickly lead to a Delica G10 then to the Para 2 standard issue, black and satin.

The Para 2 is in my pocket every day since. Love it, it carries smaller than it's actual size, if that makes any sense. I may some day go for one or more of the sprints, but for my use and EDC, the standard issue is one of the best "bang for the buck" knives I've ever owned. No pun intended.

I appreciate good knives, my Fixed blade is a Randall Mod. 3 Hunter in 5" and since I got that fixed blade, I've never looked back. Buy em', use em', enjoy em'....

I think the standard version will always be valued, as it is a true value, dollar for dollar. I certainly don't regret my purchase.

All the best,

Baer
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I rock the standard version and I enjoy it. I traded the clip out for a black clip, but other than that, It's the same. I agree with Baer, it carries a lot more like a delica than you would assume based upon the size. It also fits the hand incredibly well.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
angusW

Post by angusW »

I have the Grey and Blue Para 2 and still carry my Black G-10 Satin blade one. In fact just sharpened it a few days ago. It's a good knife to have in the collection.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

The fact that the Para2 is still so hard to find (in standard S30V) says it all. I just ordered another Para2 this morning (satin S30V & black G10) and by this afternoon they were sold out again. Got mine from KW. They just received their latest shipment of Para2's from Spyderco this past Monday and were sold out in just two days.

I'm sure the scarcity of the standard S30V Para2's is related to Spyderco trying to get all of the sprint run Para2's out as well. But the fact remains that the "original" Para2 is an outstanding knife that is still in very high demand. Wish I ordered two.