mule steel?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
rg02

mule steel?

Post by rg02 »

I want to put together my own mule. I am looking for a stainless steel that holds a decent edge and is not a bear to sharpen. i dont know much about either the cruwear or elmax. what would you all recommend?

I will be buying premade handle scales as well as a sheath too. I did a search and found HT for scales and Christina here in lakewood for a custom sheath.........
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

See what comes out when a new Mule is offered :) The HT type 4 handles are quite comfortable and grippy. I've read maybe 20cp is in the pipeline :confused:
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jossta

Post by jossta »

Well Cruwear isn't stainless so I would go with Elmax. Elmax is the bees knees anyway. I would DEF get that one.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

jossta wrote:Well Cruwear isn't stainless so I would go with Elmax. Elmax is the bees knees anyway. I would DEF get that one.
Elmax ----how is edge retention and ease of sharpening?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
jossta

Post by jossta »

Edge retention and toughness are very good. Better than S30v. I think it's easier to sharpen, but I don't really have any S30v and my Elmax hasn't gotten dull yet. Just look up Ankerson's steel performance thread on bladeforums.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Go to the website and buy whatever you can afford...which is rather easy...

I will be doing the same in a few days...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Elmax should be just what you want. It's a great all around stainless steel. Very clean and takes great edges. At higher hardnesses it really comes into it's own wear resistance wise but it's great all around.

joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
rg02

Post by rg02 »

well, i just bought a Mule in Elmax from SFO. Now to pick out the handles from HT and figure out the sheath options! i cant wait. this is my first spyderco fixed blade :D
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge