Ti Fluted Millitary? Why are they not available yet technically released????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bammann45

Ti Fluted Millitary? Why are they not available yet technically released????

Post by bammann45 »

Ok. What is the secret handshake to get one!? My usual dealer won't even take my money for a backorder, even if I tell him I don't care how long the wait is as long as I am on a list somewhere. It is torturing me that it has been released but is seemingly impossible to buy. Why am I being tortured? :)

I know there were some changes in the coloring process but how long does that take to sort out. (Yes I am being impatient and probably unreasonable :) )
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Golden has been, is, and given the number of new models expected probably always will be unable to keep up with demand. They're constantly increasing production capacity, but it never seems to be quite enough. I think the biggest thing holding the Fluted Ti models back is the price and its effect on anticipated demand--they're not going to make a whole whack of them and sit on inventory that might never sell, so instead they made a modestly-sized initial run and quickly found out how much more popular it was than expected.
The next question is, which other models get delayed or cut short to make the next run? That can't be a fun problem to tackle.

Same story with the Paramillitary2 last year, and the Yojimbo2 this year.

The fluted Ti really is worth the wait, but I feel for ya. I've been waiting on a Yojimbo2 since November. :(
—Daniel Jackson
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Were any made available yet? I think sometimes a few are released and sold. Then there may be a long wait for more to be released. Maybe Spyderco is wanting some feedback on the first ones released. Of course I don't know. It's probably a material availability issue. Again, I have no real knowledge, just thinking of possible reasons.

Jack
rycen

Post by rycen »

It is a limited production model made in small runs. I would guess this is because this particular variation is much more "hands on" than other models.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
lamorak

Post by lamorak »

A few were sold last year, I've seen one pre-ordered it and I'm waiting since then. If you search here there is a thread explaining the process. And why there is only a few dozen made each time ...
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I wonder who got the Ti Millie that Mr Glesser worked on. Now that would be a prize :)

Its strange that there is not much feedback from current owners.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I had a preorder at one time, long ago. But with everything else coming out, I've pretty much lost interest now.
:bug-red-white
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I obtained mine from a local knife seller who just happened to get one in. After seeing it in person, I just had to have it. Worked a deal and brought it home. Compared to my CF and titanium Militarys, the fluting makes it easy to grip as well as nice to look at. I won't part with this one. It's a keeper.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I got one from the first run through my Canadian dealer, but I bought it on behalf of a friend who gave it as a gift. He was very happy with it. :)
—Daniel Jackson
bammann45

Post by bammann45 »

I hope at some point they become available enough at least that I can make a pre-order through a legit dealer :) I am sure it will happen.... In the meantime I will twiddle my thumbs waiting for my damascus caly 3 and lionspy pre-orders :)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Sal said theywhere looking into a new way of coloring the knife but they didn't have a conclusive result in march, lets hope they made some progress!!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Here's a YouTube video of a Ti fluted Millie...

[video=youtube_share;__ati57nd70]http://youtu.be/__ati57nd70[/video]
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

Woot, just managed to snag one from a dealer. Hopefully will have it by the end of the week.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I'm on PreOrder for 2 months, but I was told it should only be a few months. We will see how that pans out.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
BAL

Post by BAL »

FroOchie wrote:I'm on PreOrder for 2 months, but I was told it should only be a few months. We will see how that pans out.
Just a few more months froOchie. :eek:
butch

Post by butch »

i think for sure it woud be worth the wait as its a sexy knife. 2 things tho. are the scales 1/8 thick then fluted thinner or are they over sized and then milled? i woudl rather see the lock bar thinning on the outside of the handle rather then have that hump interrupt the flow of the scale. i think this style coudl be gone a step farther and make a few in CF or G10 and flute them too
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

BAL wrote:Just a few more months froOchie. :eek:
haha I know. :(
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

FroOchie wrote:haha I know. :(
Ive been on Pre-order for longer than anyone I think. Over a year and counting pretty sure of it.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Wisehybred wrote:Ive been on Pre-order for longer than anyone I think. Over a year and counting pretty sure of it.
I'm pretty sure I'm past the one year mark as well...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

jabba359 wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm past the one year mark as well...
Same with me ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto