New Office Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
d.2.the.p

New Office Spydie?

Post by d.2.the.p »

So I want to buy a new knife for work, well, just cuz. I currently rotate an FRN PE Ladybug, Etched Spin, and G10 Dragonfly. I recently was given a new position in our IT Dept which involves a lot more cutting of things like zip ties around cabling, opening hardware packaging, etc. That said, the Ladybug and Spin have been seeing less use because they don't always provide the necessary leverage due to the shorter handle. The G10 Dfly is great, but who wants only ONE knife option??? ;)

I've been considering the Balance, the Chicago, the Cricket, and the Manbug but am also open to other suggestions. Thoughts? Personal experiences?
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Ladybug hawkbill?
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Delica :)
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Des Horn has a longer blade and handle than the Dfly. It is also light and has a deep pocket clip like the G10 Dragonfly. Its pointy edge is great for reaching into tight spaces if you are cutting ties.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The balance gives you lots of leverage for such a small knife. It's great for things like zip ties and clamshell packaging. And it would fit in well in an office environment. I'm speaking of the CF version only. I've never held the SS version, but I suspect the slightly wider CF version would be more comfortable to use, and look dressier.
:bug-red-white
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Just got my Des Horn and it would work well, IMO, but having done exactly that for many years, I'd strongly recommend a Dodo. Orange may not be the ideal office color but that blade cuts zip ties (safely!) like no other.

Ken
玉鋼
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Sage 1
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the reverse S on the Cricket will give you more leverage at cutting Zip Ties without cutting towards the cables. I don't know if you want to go all in for a dodo, but that would be a good choice, too.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rg02

Post by rg02 »

CF Caly 3 zdp189 :D

3" blade isnt too scary, zdp189 is super sharp, and low riding pocket clip for discreet office carry!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
buddy54ck

This may Help

Post by buddy54ck »

Seeing you are in the office now, you may want a more gentlemanly blade! Most of the CF versions will work,
And if I could suggest, I would pick the CF Sage, or the CF Chaparrel, which are more office friendly, and are very smoothe, and sharp blades which will get the job done very nicely, just MHO!
Just a couple of cents worth,
Charlie
PS...... How could I forget the CF Cally 3, it's awesome too!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Chaparral would be my pick. But you can never go wrong with a basic Delica - and they come in colors! :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

I appreciate the suggestions, but I should have been more detailed in my OP. I am looking for something small that doesn't need to be clipped to the pocket. I just drop it in there at work. I have to wear dress slacks, so pocket space is limited. Also, I own some other knives (e.g. Chaparral, Caly 3, Sage 3, CF Cat, Deica), but I really am looking for something smaller with a low profile.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you're not in a hurry and can live with non-stainless steel, you could wait for the Bradley Air, since it sounds like it would fit your needs quite well. Light, thin, no clip, and gentlemanly rather than tactical looking. There's also a Nisijin Glass version of the Cricket in the works. I'm sure it will have a clip, but you could either remove it, or let the knife do double duty as a money clip. Or, you could try to find a locking Kiwi on the secondary market.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Dodo! Small blade, good sized handle. very useful knife
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I would go with hawkbill or reverse S. Zipties don't have a chance.
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Jester.
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
mattman

Post by mattman »

You could wait for the CF Dodo sprint...
Kousii

Post by Kousii »

Dragonfly 2 in ZDP189. You can take the clip off and you won't be able to feel it in your pocket. It is the perfect little knife. You can also get it on VG10 with G10 bit it weighs a little more due to the addition of liners. Your choice really. All I can say is that I have never been happier with a small knife. I take it out on public and no one cares. If I took my para2 out, that would be a different story.....
bh49

Post by bh49 »

mattman wrote:You could wait for the CF Dodo sprint...
do that and get Orange now. It is very good around NKP
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

The Deacon wrote:If you're not in a hurry and can live with non-stainless steel, you could wait for the Bradley Air, since it sounds like it would fit your needs quite well. Light, thin, no clip, and gentlemanly rather than tactical looking. There's also a Nisijin Glass version of the Cricket in the works. I'm sure it will have a clip, but you could either remove it, or let the knife do double duty as a money clip. Or, you could try to find a locking Kiwi on the secondary market.
I've actually been eying the Air. Any release date on that yet? I was considering a Kiwi too, but I wasn't sure if I would want to abuse one though since they're not readily available.