Any archery nuts here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

Any archery nuts here?

Post by Sequimite »

A friend is teaching me traditional archery. I bought a 60# 1993 Damon Howatt Hunter on his recommendation.

I did a title search for "archery" and "bow" with no hits but I could swear this topic has come up before.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've been shooting for a few years. Right now I shoot compound. For fathers day I have a recurve picked out. I'll be doing lots of 3D shoots this year to better myself.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I've got an Ipe/Bamboo longbow made by Rudderbows. Was doing range shooting with my re-enactor group, but I haven't made it to a range night in over a year. :(
Still hoping to set up a back-40 range this summer, trying to find good, cheap arrows to paint bright colours so I don't lose them all... (Losing "traditional" hand-fletched arrows in the trees really sucks.)
—Daniel Jackson
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JacksonKnives wrote:Still hoping to set up a back-40 range this summer, trying to find good, cheap arrows to paint bright colours so I don't lose them all... (Losing "traditional" hand-fletched arrows in the trees really sucks.)
I've a nice big field that I keep mowed. I'm trying to figure out how many straw bales to stack on the uphill end as misses will go into my neighbor's field, which is never mowed.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I've shot a recurve before,but I have a compound Diamond Razoredge. I love shooting it :D
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have an older (semi-ancient) Hoyt compound that I love. I purchased it about 7 years ago when I was living in another city that allowed urban archery hunting for white-tail and I couldn't discharge my firearms in the limits. It was a nice recreational activity, but then it became a pretty fun hobby. I want to get a recurve to better widen my skill range. How bout some pics guys?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I have an old kawasaki recurve . 55lbs draw, 2 stabilizers, nice site, a great quver, several arrows, an EXPENSVE finger tab---yeah, I like archery
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

and I think it was me who brought this topic up before :D
maa14

Post by maa14 »

I shoot a compound bow (elite) @ about 60 lbs. I am an archery nut. :cool:
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Compound shooters are cheaters :p .....though compound is way fun
ErnestoMM

you are right

Post by ErnestoMM »

how do you do sir?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

There's something very cool about feeling the weight slacken as you get to a full draw with a compound.

But traditional bows are often quite beautiful and I like their simplicity. I'll take some photos when the bow arrives. In the meanwhile here's an ebay picture:

maa14

Post by maa14 »

razorsharp wrote:Compound shooters are cheaters :p .....though compound is way fun
:mad: LOL it is called technology hehehe JK. It is really fun
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

razorsharp wrote:Compound shooters are cheaters :p .....though compound is way fun
using spyderco's is cheating,use a rock to cut like the caveman. ;)
maa14

Post by maa14 »

.357 mag wrote:using spyderco's is cheating,use a rock to cut like the caveman. ;)
Lol yea!
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

.357 mag wrote:using spyderco's is cheating,use a rock to cut like the caveman. ;)

I have a longbow, 62lb draw. And if I was going to use a rock it would be volcanic rock, knapped and look like it had a Spyderedge.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
justinl

Post by justinl »

I recently got back into trad shooting. I have a samick sage, 35lb. I'm learning to shoot instinct, no scope, no sights. love love love this sport!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Both my wife and I are avid archers and greatly enjoy hunting deer each year. (Ok, so I'll admit that she's a far better shot than I am. I've gotten a wee bit rusty over the past few years...LOL). My wife shoots a left-handed 43 lb High Country compound bow (complete with sights and rest) and I shoot an old single-cam Martin Prowler at 58 lbs (also with rest and sights). Last year, I finally bit the bullet and switched over to carbon arrows. (Hey, my trusty XX75's were working just fine, but my wife insisted that I try the carbons. Wow! Talk about a huge difference). I was fortunate to have taken a nice twelve point buck with my bow several years ago. I was only seventeen at the time. The neat thing about that hunt was that my dad (who is now deceased) and I were the only two hunting that night. He helped me drag out my buck and load it into the truck. Of course, he let me do the field-dressing and so-forth. :) My wife and I also use muzzleloaders and shotguns for deer hunting, although archery is by far our preferred method for hunting.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Matthews FX

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a Matthews FX model that I've had for quite some time now and love it. If I ever get another bow or maybe get a better model I'll get me another Matthews>> I love their quality. It's as though they are the "Spyderco" of the archery world.

I love the FX model because it is somewhat shorter in length than most compound bows which makes it easy to use hunting up in trees like I prefer doing. The FX has little recoil and it's accuracy is beyond belief. It's as though I'm using a high powered rifle. I don't know if they are still making the FX but they were as of a couple of years ago.

I know it's just a matter of personal preference but I would really have to be super-sold to get anything else other than Matthews. Like Spyderco they are big time innovators and always coming out with many new products. There is just something to be said for "QUALITY"
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
maa14

Post by maa14 »

JD Spydo wrote:I have a Matthews FX model that I've had for quite some time now and love it. If I ever get another bow or maybe get a better model I'll get me another Matthews>> I love their quality. It's as though they are the "Spyderco" of the archery world.

I love the FX model because it is somewhat shorter in length than most compound bows which makes it easy to use hunting up in trees like I prefer doing. The FX has little recoil and it's accuracy is beyond belief. It's as though I'm using a high powered rifle. I don't know if they are still making the FX but they were as of a couple of years ago.

I know it's just a matter of personal preference but I would really have to be super-sold to get anything else other than Matthews. Like Spyderco they are big time innovators and always coming out with many new products. There is just something to be said for "QUALITY"
I have never shot a Matthews bow it there are many who do. This must say something for them. Also something that many people don't know is that Matthew McPherson (owner of matthews bows) also makes McPherson guitars, which I believe are better quality and tone than lots of guitars(Taylor, Martin, etc.)