G10 Jester or G10 Manbug? I Need LBK Advice!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

G10 Jester or G10 Manbug? I Need LBK Advice!

Post by Rwb1500 »

I want them both, but I'm learning toward the Manbug, because the bolsters are sexy.

I have limited experience with these little big knives. I had a nice Ladybug for a few days then in a fit of stupidity/generosity I gifted it to a buddy (who loves it and gushes over it, might get him a Delica next time).

Anywho, I loved the Ladybug, but I also really like the looks of the Jester.
Opinions?

(I'm sure I'll end up with both sooner or later, so which first?)
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

If you know you will get both; I say get the Jester first. Reason being is the Jester is a sprint and the man bug is regular production and will be available for some time.

I own both but haven't really used either. They both seem to be great little knives though
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

INFRNL wrote:If you know you will get both; I say get the Jester first. Reason being is the Jester is a sprint and the man bug is regular production and will be available for some time.

I own both but haven't really used either. They both seem to be great little knives though
That was really the only reason I could think of to get the Jester first. But I really like the way the Manbug looks... Hmmm
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Jester first...unless you want to spend a bit (maybe a lot) more money later on for it.
On the hunt for...
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Jester first...unless you want to spend a bit (maybe a lot) more money later on for it.
Yeah. I can always off load the Jester if I don't like it too...
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I am pretty sure you will like the Jester. It has the same handle as the ladybug but different blade. MB is same size but wider handle and blade, I'm talking spine to cutting edge
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

INFRNL wrote:I am pretty sure you will like the Jester. It has the same handle as the ladybug but different blade. MB is same size but wider handle and blade, I'm talking spine to cutting edge
I just love those friggin bolsters, screw or no screw.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Jester is nice! Better snag one now for a decent price.
:bug-red-white
rg02

Post by rg02 »

A little off subject to the OP--- do you own a Dragonfly? My dragonfly 2 is an awesome LBK. I ordered a g-10 dragonfly I liked it so much.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Others have said the same about getting the Jester before they are gone, but it seems like you really have your heart set on the Manbug. You can go for the MB and hope the Jesters are still around when your ready to buy. I have an extra MB sitting in a box that I accidentally orderd. I can tease you with it if you like :p

Give me a little bit, I wil post pics of both of them side by side to help confuse you more
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

INFRNL wrote:Others have said the same about getting the Jester before they are gone, but it seems like you really have your heart set on the Manbug. You can go for the MB and hope the Jesters are still around when your ready to buy. I have an extra MB sitting in a box that I accidentally orderd. I can tease you with it if you like :p

Give me a little bit, I wil post pics of both of them side by side to help confuse you more

Oh that's just wonderful. You're a sweetheart. ;)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jester. You will regret it if you don't get one.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

as promised; here is a comparison and I added the DF in there because i saw Ryan post something about his. EDIT: got the limit thing figured out.Image
Attachments
P1040232.JPG
rg02

Post by rg02 »

^^^^ thanks for throwing that dragonfly in that comparison pic! I gotta get a keychain spydie one of these days :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Bolsters scratch easy, and besides that, they have no functional value, and add weight.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jester first, no question. Simply because in any scenario where you're torn between purchasing a Sprint Run model and a regular production immediately, but figure you'll eventually purchase both, always go for the Sprint. The chances of it being closed out a a discount are slim, the chances of it becoming scarce and expensive quickly are much higher.
redyps04 wrote:Bolsters scratch easy, and besides that, they have no functional value, and add weight.
That's only true if you think of a knife as "just a tool". If, on the other hand, you consider it as "functional jewelry" then bolsters most certainly can have functional value since they make the knife more attractive, at least when properly done.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Rwb1500 wrote:I want them both, but I'm learning toward the Manbug, because the bolsters are sexy.

I have limited experience with these little big knives. I had a nice Ladybug for a few days then in a fit of stupidity/generosity I gifted it to a buddy (who loves it and gushes over it, might get him a Delica next time).

Anywho, I loved the Ladybug, but I also really like the looks of the Jester.
Opinions?

(I'm sure I'll end up with both sooner or later, so which first?)
Such and easy question to answer since the Jester is a sprint run and won't be available long. Get one. I got one, liked it so much I got an opportunity to get a second at a pretty good price and got it also. From what I've seen the Manbug G-10 is more expensive. That's to be expected due to the handle (bolsters & scales). Higher production cost I imagine. I may get a G-10 Manbug sometime, but it won't be anytime soon because the Jester fills my little big knife needs. I had a Ladybug salt and even though I liked the knife I didn't use it much even though I carried it all the time. The Jester OTOH I use all the time. It feels as sturdy as a "real" knife :) , just small.

Jack
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

The Deacon wrote:
That's only true if you think of a knife as "just a tool". If, on the other hand, you consider it as "functional jewelry" then bolsters most certainly can have functional value since they make the knife more attractive, at least when properly done.
IDK. I can see bolsters on a Case knife, or Al Mar, Moki, or even the Kiwi and Kopa. But bolsters on tactical and semi-tactical knives like Spydercos just seems kind of... out of place to me. It's like putting nice burl wood trim on a dirt bike...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bolsters on any knife are an aesthetic preference. Even scratched they look classier for some folks than solid g10. There really isn't a functional penalty because weight and traction is negligible. In theory some could aid in blade play reduction. The biggest downfall is price as it can be easily measured.

Really for a Manbug is tactical a consideration? ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

redyps04 wrote:IDK. I can see bolsters on a Case knife, or Al Mar, Moki, or even the Kiwi and Kopa. But bolsters on tactical and semi-tactical knives like Spydercos just seems kind of... out of place to me. It's like putting nice burl wood trim on a dirt bike...
And I look at it the other way. The bolstered Schempp Persians, both large and small, were esthetically pleasing and dignified looking pocket knives. The peel ply G-10 versions are neither. At best they look utilitarian, at worst, weaponized. Kind of the difference between a metallic green Jeep and one in flat OD green. Not trying to change your mind, I know I'm in the minority and that "nasty" sells better that "nice".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!