Edge VS Tin

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MadRookie

Edge VS Tin

Post by MadRookie »

[video=youtube;gLyIo7xIIPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyIo7xIIPU[/video]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow that knife is so much smaller than i expected it to be. By the way that's aluminum, not tin ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

MadRookie wrote:[video=youtube;gLyIo7xIIPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyIo7xIIPU[/video]
Wrong, it is a TIN, not a bottle.....did I refer to steel type...???

Either way I reckon it proves the superb edge that CPM-Rex 121 can take and hold under some duress.

:D :D :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nope, at least here in the US it's a can, and a aluminum one at that. Tins here have lids that are removable and replaceable. Most of them are still steel, since aluminum is too soft for that, especially the stuff in beverage cans which is just a bit tougher than heavy duty aluminum foil.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

It's a ridiculously tough steel but I seem to remember Farid saying (over on BritishBlades) that he got through a silly number of grinder belts just getting an edge onto a CPM REX 121 knife. This would make the cost of production very high ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MadRookie wrote:Wrong, it is a TIN, not a bottle.....did I refer to steel type...???

Either way I reckon it proves the superb edge that CPM-Rex 121 can take and hold under some duress.

:D :D :D
Yeah I just meant it was made of aluminum. I thought you meant it was made from tin.
~David
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

MadRookie,

I liked the music in the video, a vey nice touch. Much better than someone trying to talk through the video. What angle did you sharpen the blade to (micro bevel ? ) and it looked to be a mirror finish when you were done.
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

I don't see anything that special. Many blade steels can do that.

Anyone else notice the hole on that fixed blade. Is it spydie approved?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Slash wrote:I don't see anything that special. Many blade steels can do that.

its a custom and the hole serves no function, its fine.

Most steels can do that but most dull too
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Slash wrote:I don't see anything that special. Many blade steels can do that.

Please accept my sincere apologies if the video clip did not meet with your expectations - I am truly sorry.

However the idea was not to prove that this custom mule as "one of a kind holy grail of cutting marvel", but merely as a hopefully informative snippet relating to edge performance after cutting through some aluminum.

It was done to satisfy my own curiosity in this regard and I saw it fit to share it as I did it.

Once again please forgive my poor attempt - I look forward to your presentation of what it REALLY should look like.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rookie.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Bearcat1 wrote:MadRookie,

I liked the music in the video, a vey nice touch. Much better than someone trying to talk through the video. What angle did you sharpen the blade to (micro bevel ? ) and it looked to be a mirror finish when you were done.

Here is the thread with all the sharpening details.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... eady-To-Go

:)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

MadRookie wrote:Please accept my sincere apologies if the video clip did not meet with your expectations - I am truly sorry.

However the idea was not to prove that this custom mule as "one of a kind holy grail of cutting marvel", but merely as a hopefully informative snippet relating to edge performance after cutting through some aluminum.

It was done to satisfy my own curiosity in this regard and I saw it fit to share it as I did it.

Once again please forgive my poor attempt - I look forward to your presentation of what it REALLY should look like.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rookie.
Oh yeh Rookie, you should be apologetic for having a knife that most steelheads covet. You also should be apologetic about your awesome edges. :D
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Must say that I prefer the original soundtrack.....

[video=youtube;gLyIo7xIIPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLyIo7xIIPU[/video]

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You can cut aluminum cans with just about any knife steel you can imagine...the point is, does it still slice paper afterwards and how bad does it chip and roll?

MadRookie where are you from? I'm curious where it is in the world that you call an aluminum can a "tin". I don't travel much ;)
~David
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Evil D wrote:You can cut aluminum cans with just about any knife steel you can imagine...the point is, does it still slice paper afterwards and how bad does it chip and roll?

MadRookie where are you from? I'm curious where it is in the world that you call an aluminum can a "tin". I don't travel much ;)
I am in Cape Town, South Africa.....where the lions & elephants roam the highways & your backyard is littered with all sorts of wildlife.....

Just kidding.....

But yeah, we are so far behind in South Africa that we actually think we are way ahead.....

angusW

Post by angusW »

MadRookie wrote:I am in Cape Town, South Africa.....where the lions & elephants roam the highways & your backyard is littered with all sorts of wildlife.....

Just kidding.....

But yeah, we are so far behind in South Africa that we actually think we are way ahead.....

That's funny. Like your knife and thanks for showing that demo.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Evil D wrote:You can cut aluminum cans with just about any knife steel you can imagine...the point is, does it still slice paper afterwards and how bad does it chip and roll?

THAT, was my interest in this exercise.

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I just did this to an Aluminium drink Can with a para m390. No damage to the edge, slices cleanly, shaved too. 2 cans and it scraped arm hair off. I then did a TIN can from a can of creamed rice. It was way harder to cut. Got a 1cm roll when I cut through a 4mm thick part of tin. Still sliced paper, didnt shave. But I did stab it , down to the choil, multiple times
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Oooh, Might I add, I FINALLY have wear marks on the para. God that stuff is wear resistant. It hasnt had a scratch till today
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

razorsharp wrote:I just did this to an Aluminium drink Can with a para m390. No damage to the edge, slices cleanly, shaved too. 2 cans and it scraped arm hair off. I then did a TIN can from a can of creamed rice. It was way harder to cut. Got a 1cm roll when I cut through a 4mm thick part of tin. Still sliced paper, didnt shave. But I did stab it , down to the choil, multiple times
...and the pictures/video will be available when...????

:p :p :p