Stripping DLC off the blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Art_vandeley
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Norway

Stripping DLC off the blade

Postby Art_vandeley » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 am

Hey,

I have an extra DLC blade for my Para 2, and I want to strip off the coating for some variety. How would one do that to get the best result?

Sandpaper?

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 am

Have you tried stabbing car hoods? Cold Steel's black (not DLC) seems to come off pretty easy when doing that. lol

I've been impressed with how durable DLC is. For a nice job you may need to send it to the guy people here send blades to to get re-ground. Saber grind to FFG for instance. That should do it.

Jack

User avatar
Leatherneck
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Midwest
Contact:

Postby Leatherneck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 am

I was able to strip the coating off of a Benchmade with a scotchbrite pad and steel wool. That isn't going to happen with Spyderco's DLC at least not before your arm is in a sling! It is some tough stuff.
I'm sure there is a way though but I am assuming it won't look like a pristine satin blade at first.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 am

Art_vandeley wrote:Hey,

I have an extra DLC blade for my Para 2, and I want to strip off the coating for some variety. How would one do that to get the best result?

Sandpaper?
Just curious, how did you end up with an extra blade?

Jack

Art_vandeley
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Art_vandeley » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am

jackknifeh wrote:Just curious, how did you end up with an extra blade?

Jack
I bought a Para 2 from a guy on Youtube for 20$. Unfortunately the lock is shot to pieces, and it has extreme blade play no matter how hard I tighten it up. So I swapped the gray scales it came with my black on my edc Para, and keep the screws and other parts as spares for it. So now I have a spare blade with some chips and dings in it, and I`d like to see if I can strip the coating to see how it`ll look.

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tried with some sandpaper, but it`ll take some elbow grease to make it nice.

Stefan Roth
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 am
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
Contact:

Postby Stefan Roth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am

I offer you a deal. Send me the black one, I send you a regular one.

Art_vandeley
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Art_vandeley » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 am

Stefan Roth wrote:I offer you a deal. Send me the black one, I send you a regular one.
You want a black & black one? How is the lock on yours? Any sticking?

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 am

Art_vandeley wrote:I bought a Para 2 from a guy on Youtube for 20$. Unfortunately the lock is shot to pieces, and it has extreme blade play no matter how hard I tighten it up. So I swapped the gray scales it came with my black on my edc Para, and keep the screws and other parts as spares for it. So now I have a spare blade with some chips and dings in it, and I`d like to see if I can strip the coating to see how it`ll look.

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tried with some sandpaper, but it`ll take some elbow grease to make it nice.
Sounds like a good deal. Do you have, or have access to a Dremel? I'd love to see how a Dremel with good sanding accessories does on DLC. If the Dremel wouldn't do a good job that would speak VERY highly of DLC. I imagine if you had a Dremel you would have tried it. Dumb question probably.

Has anyone reading this ever tried a Dremel or equivalent on DLC?

Jack

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 am

Stefan Roth wrote:I offer you a deal. Send me the black one, I send you a regular one.
Art_vandeley wrote:You want a black & black one? How is the lock on yours? Any sticking?
FYI: You both are pretty new here. There's a rule against buying or trading on the forum. Not sure why but that's Spyderco's policy. You might want to communicate some other way. Good luck on a trade.

Jack

Art_vandeley
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Art_vandeley » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 am

jackknifeh wrote:Sounds like a good deal. Do you have, or have access to a Dremel? I'd love to see how a Dremel with good sanding accessories does on DLC. If the Dremel wouldn't do a good job that would speak VERY highly of DLC. I imagine if you had a Dremel you would have tried it. Dumb question probably.

Has anyone reading this ever tried a Dremel or equivalent on DLC?

Jack
I have a cheap Dremel ripoff, that probably sets itself on fire the next time I turn it on. But I`m interested as well on how a dremel fairs against the DLC. From what I can observe the DLC is really really tough. Mayb if I can get a dremel at a nice price (one day) I`ll try it out on the spare blade.

Thanks Jack. Didn`t know about the no trade rule. I`m in the chat right now btw.

Also here is a pic of both the locks before I switched scales:

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:25 am

Art_vandeley wrote:I have a cheap Dremel ripoff, that probably sets itself on fire the next time I turn it on. But I`m interested as well on how a dremel fairs against the DLC. From what I can observe the DLC is really really tough. Mayb if I can get a dremel at a nice price (one day) I`ll try it out on the spare blade.

Thanks Jack. Didn`t know about the no trade rule. I`m in the chat right now btw.

Also here is a pic of both the locks before I switched scales:

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
For the price of a new Dremel 4000 and different accessories and attachments you can get one or two really nice Spyderco's. I got one a couple of years ago and now I wonder how I got along without it. I don't use it very often like one would for a hobby but for some things it makes the job 100 times easier. I have used it to make scales and wouldn't try it I don't think if I didn't have the Dremel (or something else). The Dremel is one of those things you can live without until after you have had one for a while. I can only think of one tool that is more important than a Dremel. What is that tool? I'm having a hard time remembering now. Oh yeah, a Spyderco knife. lol (still can't find smilies)

Jack

Slash
Member
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 am
Location: SIN CITY

Postby Slash » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:27 am

Try soaking it in vinegar for about a week. Check it every couple days to see if you're making any progress.

User avatar
jackknifeh
Member
Posts: 8412
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:01 am
Location: Florida panhandle

Postby jackknifeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 am

Slash wrote:Try soaking it in vinegar for about a week. Check it every couple days to see if you're making any progress.
I have to ask. Why do you think vinegar would work? Were you joking but couldn't find a smilie (like me) to indicate a joke?

Jack

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Brock O Lee » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 am

Be careful with that Dremel - overheating the blade could affect your heat treat.
Hans
Favourites at the moment: Military Ti/G10 M4, Spydiechef, Sage 2, Pits, Chaparral Ti

User avatar
darkstar29
Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: North central Ohio

Postby darkstar29 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 am

Brock O Lee wrote:Be careful with that Dremel - overheating the blade could affect your heat treat.
Very true.. I'd try the brass wire bit.. Or some stiffer wire. Then polish the heck outta it.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.

User avatar
PARATOM
Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby PARATOM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm

just wondering...did you buy that one off they guy who did the torture test on the comp. lock?

i watched that video and it hurt to watch it, but it looks like the same knife, same jacked up comp. lock and everything, link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEH2erOh5Zw
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...

User avatar
Jay_Ev
Member
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:57 pm
Location: South Bay, CA

Postby Jay_Ev » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Yikes, it hurt to watch that video.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>

User avatar
phillipsted
Member
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:30 am
Location: North Virginia

Postby phillipsted » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

FYI. When Neptune disassembled the Para2 after beating the cr@p out of it - he voided the warranty. :eek:

TedP

User avatar
Brock O Lee
Member
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby Brock O Lee » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:16 pm

phillipsted wrote: FYI. When Neptune disassembled the Para2 after beating the cr@p out of it - he voided the warranty. :eek:

LOL! Thats the funniest thing I heard all day!
Hans
Favourites at the moment: Military Ti/G10 M4, Spydiechef, Sage 2, Pits, Chaparral Ti

Art_vandeley
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Norway

Postby Art_vandeley » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:50 pm

PARATOM wrote:just wondering...did you buy that one off they guy who did the torture test on the comp. lock?

i watched that video and it hurt to watch it, but it looks like the same knife, same jacked up comp. lock and everything, link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEH2erOh5Zw
Yeah that`s the one :P

20 bucks was a good deal, and the grey scales are pretty fine.
He also cut S30V with CTS20CP. Don`t watch if you love your spydies.
http://youtu.be/buHwSusTHBE

I made a small vid once I got it tho. I sharpened out the dings the sawing made, and it`s fine now.

http://youtu.be/86sdAbL_ABg

Btw. I take apart all my Spydercos. Once done you can really appreciate the engineering that went into them. Especially the Para 2 is a joy to disassemble.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abbazaba, Google [Bot], p_atrick, restless ghost, toxophilus and 22 guests