Centofante Memory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Centofante Memory

Post by The Deacon »

This showed up on my doorstep a couple hours ago. No paperwork with it, so I'm just assuming it's ok to post these photos.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Strange thing, the Memory is about as close to 180º off from everything I normally like in a knife as it gets, and yet I have this overwhelming urge to just stick it in my pocket and enjoy it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Hey Paul, no paperwork? I think that was meant for me! Looks nice. How is that scale? Does it stick up too far? Im on the fence about this one - looks like it can be easily scratched and a bit delicate - for the price, Im passing for now. But Ive been known to change my mind pretty fast.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Nice pics & nice knife :) That pivot screw looks like it requires some kind of special tool to adjust it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It already looks scratched...

Very nice looking knife though. I LOVE the flat spine and long narrow blade, I would really really really really really (getting the idea?) like to see more flat spines with long narrow blades.

Not too crazy about the file work though. IMO it looks a little sloppy and awkward.
On the hunt for...
hickster

Post by hickster »

Looks very classy! How thick is that blade?
hickster
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

That is gorgeous!. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if this means they will be shipping soon. I have one on preorder
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

its nice to have knives just show up on your doorstep..lol. what is the color of that tweed CF, i am assuming it is CF. i thought it was supposed to be grey but it looks almost beige in the pics. i am guessing it is just hard to capture the color when photographing.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It does have a "pocket worn" look to it. I'm assuming someone at Spyderco carried and used it for a while.

Blade measures 2.36mm thick at the tang by my vernier. Silver twill glass fiber scale is about 1mm thick. It's not a hard use tactical folder, certainly not a folding pry bar, but I wouldn't call it delicate either.
Paul
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm muttering "wrong handed lock" sneeringly in my head ;) . Hard to pick on someone with such a nice knife though, lol.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I love the lines on the knife - certainly a fitting tribute to Mr. Centofante. Thanks for the pictures, Paul!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Nice looking knife,any Idea where it came from?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:I'm muttering "wrong handed lock" sneeringly in my head ;) . Hard to pick on someone with such a nice knife though, lol.
Oh, that's just the beginning.

Wrong handed lock, no 50/50 choil and no guard of any kind, Spyderhole smaller than a Kiwi's and totally inaccessible left handed, and a metal handle with a super shiny "onlay" scale on one side only. In theory, aside from the blade shape, grind, thinness, and edge type, there's nothing about it I should like. And yet, despite all that, it accompanied Bear and me on our 8pm and 6am walks and will be going out with us again shorty for our long morning walk. :)
Lord vader wrote:Nice looking knife,any Idea where it came from?
Box had an 820 Spyderco Way return address, so am pretty sure I know who sent it. ;) :)
Paul
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

The Deacon wrote:Oh, that's just the beginning.

Wrong handed lock, no 50/50 choil and no guard of any kind, Spyderhole smaller than a Kiwi's and totally inaccessible left handed, and a metal handle with a super shiny "onlay" scale on one side only. In theory, aside from the blade shape, grind, thinness, and edge type, there's nothing about it I should like. And yet, despite all that, it accompanied Bear and me on our 8pm and 6am walks and will be going out with us again shorty for our long morning walk. :)

Box had an 820 Spyderco Way return address, so am pretty sure I know who sent it. ;) :)
Sorry for the stupid question,I assumed it was just a stray knife Laying on your porch.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

The Deacon wrote:Wrong handed lock, no 50/50 choil and no guard of any kind, Spyderhole smaller than a Kiwi's and totally inaccessible left handed, and a metal handle with a super shiny "onlay" scale on one side only.
Someone at Spyderco's obviously got it in for you and are trying to wind you up ... just send it here, I'm a "righty" and I'll find a good home for it! ;)

But seriously, I love the blade shape and the general idea of the knife as a "gentleman's folder" but I am not so sure I like the blue surface if it will be prone to showing scratches and the fiber scale stands a bit proud for my liking ... but nice that you've been given an early look at it. Does this mean you are now Spyderco's official field-tester? ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Haha! Well Paul, being a knife diva at least you make exceptions for the special ones :) .

It's certainly a gorgeous tool. Frank would be very proud.

Post by 224477 »

Congrats Paul. The silver twill looks amazing.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Beautiful! I'll take 2 :D
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Paul, this is a beautiful knife, I can understand your urge to carry it despite its multitude of "flaws". ;)
Congratulations and thanks for the pics.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Very beautiful and unique lines...Mr. Centofante would be proud of how his knife turn out....
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Having knives show up unannounced is always a treat. It happened to me about 4 days after the mules ( mastiffware) were released. Thanks Paul! :)

That is not really my usual choice in a carry knife but I do see how I could get along with the simple, uncluttered, yet well engineered knife. It doesn't have the warmth of wood, nor the size I usually like yet as a matter separator that would blend in to white collar environment office jobs around and not cause panic or even be noticed when used. I can see a place in the collection for it. I do appreciate knives that slice well, hold comfortably and securely yet look at home while at work. :)

I like simple but nice, but first and foremost no matter how invisible it is it better slice like ****! My only real problem with these smaller types is that I tend to lose, or spend time worrying about losing light knives that I can't feel in the pockets to know if they are there or not.

I like it though. It's simple, well made and should work well given the proven design and materials. I really doubt it would cause a lot of panic or lemming like stampedes off cliffs in the office when used to cut fruit.

One never knows though. Congratulations on the knife Paul. Your straight shooting reviews , fair criticism and good photography skills seem to be appreciated. My guess is that Sal isn't the type guy who wants people around him to tell him whatever they think he wants to hear. When he sends testers out they go to people who can reliably spot a flaw and will point it out. :)

The longer I stay around here the more evidence I see that Sal might actually be as clever as we think he is. :0
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"