Little Big Knife Challenge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Little Big Knife Challenge

Post by araneae »

I recently decided to put my Ladybug to the test and see if I would miss carrying a bigger blade. I was pleasantly surprised that the knife was very capable of all I asked of it. This has prompted to me to issue this challenge to my fellow forumites: to put aside their larger spydies for one day and take the LBK challenge. Give it a shot for the day and carry just your Jester, Ladybug, Manbug, etc. Then, report back on how it went, what you cut etc.

So my story is a week ago I decided that I was going to take my SE Ladybug off my keys and use it all day exclusively. I used it to cut plastic sacks (think tarp material), plenty of cardboard, food packages, and packing tape. On all fronts the Ladybug fared well, never letting me down and easily took on all my cutting tasks. I find the SE is a great configuration for the Ladybug, it cuts well beyond its size, and those teeth let it take on full size cutting chores.

Anyone up for the challenge?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That would lead to separation anxiety for sure. I can't be without a Para 2 even for a day!
:bug-red-white
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I only have the Grasshopper and I'm afraid to carry that. So I am out I guess.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm down! My SE Ladybug has done that a few times. It fares better than most of similar size.

Tuesday's gonna be good :) .
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Does a Dragonfly count as a LBK?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

in the winter i wear alot of sweat / running suits that are a pain for pocket clips. so i usually end up not carrying my delica and only carry my ss ladybug se on my keys, after awhile you get use to it and dont even think twice.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

gbelleh wrote:That would lead to separation anxiety for sure. I can't be without a Para 2 even for a day!
Carry whatever you like but reach for the smaller knife first. When I first got my Ladybug I was still carrying my Endura but wanted to 'test' the ladybug hawkbill.
These smaller knives are well designed and built you rarely feel they aren't enough for most jobs. :cool:
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Does the Poliwog fit into this group?
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I'll relegate myself to a Lady Bug tomorrow. I'll still have another knife clipped to my pocket because I seriously feel naked without one. But, I'll strictly use the Lady Bug.
-Ryan
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

I carry my Kiwi3 occasionally, but I worry about losing it because it's so loose in my pocket.
It is a great knife though, people respond very positive to it.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I definitely down for this. With rg02's post about IWB carry, it free's up a pocket for another Spydie. For folks who haven't tried this, you would be amazed. Do a search by his name for pics of this. It really works great. Haven't tried the larger knives, but the Sage carries virtually unnoticed. I'm sure any small knife with a clip would carry well IWB. Or try your larger knife IWB and keep the smaller in pocket. Kudos to rg02 for sharing this. I'll probably do my dragonfly rather than the ladybug. Good day to all.
CAMAROMAN

Post by CAMAROMAN »

Got a Ladybug in my pocket right now!
:spyder: Laci Szabo, Military (digital camo), Navaja,Centofante 3 , Persian 2,Lum Chinese, Ladybug ZDP, Tasman Salt, Native,Viele, Spin, Persistance, Dragonfly, Manix 2, Pingo, Impala, T-mag

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" - old Nordic proverb
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'll give this a shot. I've had a Ladybug3 salt for a few months and used it a few times, mainly when it was new just because it was new. It did great. I got a Jester a week or two ago and am more confident in it for jobs that are a little tougher. I'll just use it through the weekend just to give me more time and situations. I will still carry something bigger just in case but if I don't need a Manix or something I'll use the Jester. If I do NEED the bigger knife I'll note what I used it for.

Jack
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I lost my ladybug hawk bill but I always have a spin on my keys. My only worries are when it comes to food. Yes I use my knives for food. I usually carry a small/medium fixed blade for this. Mule or temperance. The spin does very well for most task but I can't imagine cutting. Steak with it. Granted I'LLC try to get by with just the spin. Its very discrete. I once had someone ask "how'd you cut that" they never even saw it. Thought it was really sharp keys
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm not sure I could do an LBK...but a ManBug would be OK... :rolleyes:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

VashHash wrote:I lost my ladybug hawk bill but I always have a spin on my keys. My only worries are when it comes to food. Yes I use my knives for food. I usually carry a small/medium fixed blade for this. Mule or temperance. The spin does very well for most task but I can't imagine cutting. Steak with it. Granted I'LLC try to get by with just the spin. Its very discrete. I once had someone ask "how'd you cut that" they never even saw it. Thought it was really sharp keys
There are times when a bigger knife is needed just based on size. That's why I'm going to carry something bigger in addition to my Jester and note the things that the larger knife was needed for. But, no "middle size" knives. No Chaparral, Sage1, Delica, Etc. Just Jester and GB or Manix2 for me.

Why not list the things the bigger knife was needed for? I think this experiment is for EDC tasks, not work related tasks if you are a lumberjack. :)

Jack
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Tdog wrote:I definitely down for this. With rg02's post about IWB carry, it free's up a pocket for another Spydie. For folks who haven't tried this, you would be amazed. Do a search by his name for pics of this. It really works great. Haven't tried the larger knives, but the Sage carries virtually unnoticed. I'm sure any small knife with a clip would carry well IWB. Or try your larger knife IWB and keep the smaller in pocket. Kudos to rg02 for sharing this. I'll probably do my dragonfly rather than the ladybug. Good day to all.
Thanks Tdog :D

You mean these pics? :D
View from the outside:

How it looks on the inside:

View looking down on top:

For the rest of this week I will carry my Yojimbo 2 in the belt loop IWb carry(for self defense only) but will strictly use my Dragonfly 2 :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
araneae

Post by araneae »

gbelleh wrote:That would lead to separation anxiety for sure. I can't be without a Para 2 even for a day!
Keep it with you just in case, but try not to use it.
rg02 wrote:Does a Dragonfly count as a LBK?
I'd say go for it, but I was thinking more the "keychain" sized knives.
DRKBC wrote:Does the Poliwog fit into this group?
This one is definitely not a little big knife, IMO.

Glad to see there are some stepping up to the challenge. :)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've done this challenge without leaving my larger blade behind. I've spent an entire day only using my ZDP Ladybug and it worked like a champ. I've even debated about carrying something like the Yojimbo 2 and not using it at all except for emergencies and then just using the Ladybug as my primary knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David