Opinions on Brown Mili Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
politicallyIncorrect

Opinions on Brown Mili Sprint?

Post by politicallyIncorrect »

I'm considering getting the sprint Military with CTS-XHP steel. Now that it's been out for a while any opinions on whether this is truly superior to S30V?
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I don't have a regular Military, however I do have XHP Military and XHP Manix 2, and I do find that they hold an edge a little longer than S30V, not a huge difference like S90V vs S30V but a noticeable difference, I always like trying new steels and this was my first "regular" style military, my only other is a Ti Framelock style, so its heavier than the liner lock style. I would say get it.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have Military and Manix2 variants in S30V, CTS-XHP and S90V. I've never even attempted any kind of scientific comparison, but my general experience is that XHP beats S30V by a small but noticeable margin, and both are blown out of the water when compared to S90V. FWIW, I also like the earth brown G10 on the Military sprint. If the premium looks reasonable to you, I'd go for the XHP sprint.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I love my XHP brown Millie. It is easier to sharpen than s30v and holds an edge a little bit better. You will not be disappointed.

Some motivation for you :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

I love how that knife looks. I'm not the biggest Military guy, I'm perfectly content with my S30V production model...but if I was to buy another Military it would definitely be that one. I love the brown G-10.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Buy it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

Brown Mili good! 'Nuff said.

Seriously though, I love mine. The steel, as noted is easier to sharpen and holds an edge longer than S30V (IMHO), it packs a lot of blade into a slim package, and looks cool in Brown too!
Johann

Post by Johann »

CTS-XHP is generally regarded as "better", I think. I'd personally buy it over the regular production model if it weren't so expensive (another US$70+).
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

Johann wrote:CTS-XHP is generally regarded as "better", I think. I'd personally buy it over the regular production model if it weren't so expensive (another US$70+).
You can find them as low as $130ish if you look around.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Random Dan wrote:You can find them as low as $130ish if you look around.
I never seen them as low as 130$. The lowest I've seen them is at warriorsandwonders for 170$. Maybe you can point us in the right direction :D
:spyder:Delica 4 PE, Tenacious PE, SS Cricket PE, Bayshooter Wave Endura.
WISHLIST: Southfork
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

Eddie wrote:I never seen them as low as 130$. The lowest I've seen them is at warriorsandwonders for 170$. Maybe you can point us in the right direction :D
I tried posting a topic about them in the general discussion forum since they have a few other sprint runs at good prices as well (S35VN PM2 - $110ish, CTS-BD30P M2 - $100ish) but it didn't get approved, so I think it might be against the no soliciting bit in the rules. But if you searched for "men" with maybe "gear" after it and possibly followed by ".net" you may or may not find something :p
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Awesome! I can buy a LionSpy right now from that site. They must be located in the future where they can ship products back through time.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Could someone answer this question please.

How does XHP hold an edge longer than S30v?

Is it due to hardness?

It's just that in the Spyderco steel chart, S30v seems to have better ingredients (elements) than XHP, to a novice like myself.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

me likey, my first sprint millie. hope a blue one comes out eventually :)

I don't know if my eyes are playing a trick on me but the brown millie seems a little bit thinner than my camo ones.. definitely sleek and sexy.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

wow! that is a cheap cheap price for the xhp millie!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
mil

Post by mil »

Rossi wrote:Could someone answer this question please.

Is it due to hardness?

It's just that in the Spyderco steel chart, S30v seems to have better ingredients (elements) than XHP, to a novice like myself.
While this is hearsay, and I literally don't know a thing about it, I read somewhere that Carpenter powder steels use 2nd generation powder metallurgy and thus have a finer grain structure than equivalent CPM steels.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Rossi wrote:Could someone answer this question please.

Is it due to hardness?

I heard through the grapevine that Carpenter added some elements to the matrix to enhance performance, what those exactly are nobody knows.

Hardness range is the same for XHP and S30V.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Random Dan wrote:I tried posting a topic about them in the general discussion forum since they have a few other sprint runs at good prices as well (S35VN PM2 - $110ish, CTS-BD30P M2 - $100ish) but it didn't get approved, so I think it might be against the no soliciting bit in the rules. But if you searched for "men" with maybe "gear" after it and possibly followed by ".net" you may or may not find something :p
have you ever bought from them? if so, what was your experience? seems like you might get an email stating that the product is not in stock and then will have to wait for a refund.

I already have the brown millie; its a big knife and actually the largest I own now. I have not used it at all, so I cannot comment really
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

I had a little extra scratch left over from my return and decided to go ahead and order one yesterday. I'll let you folks know how smooth the transaction goes. I received one email already saying order is confirmed, whatever the heck that means!