Plain vs ce vs se

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

PE, I dont have an SE sharpener and more knives come in PE
JD Spydo

I use all 3

Post by JD Spydo »

I've used all 3 edge variants on several different occasions. My current EDC knives are my Caly Jr ZDP-189 PE model and my H-1 Spyderhawk SE ( G-10 Harpy is currently on the missing persons list :( )

MY third EDC I've been using the **** out of is my PE Temp 1 model fixed blade. That VG-10 super blade has more than earned my respect and I do hope that they will bring that blade back in H-1.

I always have at least one PE and one Spyderedged blade on me daily. I do like my Spyderedged blade to be a Hawkbill model for many reasons but I do carry my sacred C-60 Massad Ayoob Spyderedged version from time to time.

Probably my favorite CE Spyder to carry and I've carried it some here recently is my C-46 Lum Tanto folder. It's the best CE Spyder I used in quite a while.

I find uses for all 3 edge variants and I don't look for that to change anytime soon.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

701 Profiles are the remedy

Post by JD Spydo »

razorsharp wrote:PE, I dont have an SE sharpener and more knives come in PE
Razorsharp just get a set of Spyderco 701 Profiles and you'll be able to sharpen any of Spyderco's great edges. It blows me away that Spyderco is going to discontinue this great tool :(

Please people don't let the sharpening issue dissuade you from owning and using any of Spyderco's great edges.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'll echo JD. Hawkbills, teeth, anything really. Quick, portable and no setup time.

Next on the list is a Doublestuff :) .
r small

Post by r small »

I actually like the CE. But it works best on longer blades like Endura. It has enough SE to cut small brush, branches, briars, etc. and enough PE to cut paper, open eletters, etc. For shorter blades I prefer PE but I do have a Delica CE I find useful.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

PE for most of my daily utility tasks and often a full SE blade as well, just in case they're needed. I've been very happy to have the teeth on me on several occasions.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:Yes Evil but people aren't made of cardboard and paracord. We also have nerves :) .

Joking aside you do have a point: It's HARD to beat a screaming sharp PE knife. A dull one however is next to worthless.
True they're worthless dull but have you ever tried to sharpen serrations on a rock or in the field?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I find most of my regular EDC is PE cause that is the configuration they come in. Each edge has its time and place. I will usually carry a SE or CE along with a PE. If I am carrying more than one Knife.

The CE gets a bad wrap but they are extremely useful and not all that hard to sharpen. My CE Millie and CE Stretch are just about perfect for household chores. If they would only put out a CE Para 2.....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Has anyone ever seen a survival or camping show where someone dulled a knife so bad he/she was looking for a rock out of necessity?

Wouldnt a travel sharpener make more sense?
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Evil D wrote:There's a reason scalpels don't have serrations.
Yes, thank you for making my point. Scalpels with PE are used because they make a nice clean cut. A serrated blade may make a more ragged uneven cut and cause more nerve damage.
Actually scapels are not use that much anymore. Many surgeries are done with an electronic scapel. http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/Sup ... directed=1

Maybe in the near future we will be talking here on BF about our electronic knives.
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

Mostly I like PE because I love sharpening blades and getting them scary sharp. However... the hawkbills like harpy and civilian just look WICKED in SE and I think over time I would want every hawkbill SE Spyderco! But maybe I'm greedy!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Evil D wrote:There's a reason scalpels don't have serrations. I like having my SE H1 Ladybug hawk bill on my keys just in case I ever need some teeth but for my primary EDC I go for PE every time.
and there is a reason chainsaws don't have straight blades. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

.357 mag wrote:and there is a reason chainsaws don't have straight blades. ;)
Well actually they do, they're just arranged in a way so that each cut they make scoops out the wood they cut. If you look close enough at the chain they're just hundreds of little plain edge knives. A better way to. look at it is to say they're little chisels or even tiny wood planes that chisel/shave with each pass. Either way I wouldn't call them serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Using abstract logic it's easier to call a PE knife "micro serrated" than a chainsaw "power driven plain edge chisel chain".