Spyderco Salsa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zunedog31

Spyderco Salsa

Post by zunedog31 »

Just wondering if there is interest in returning the Salsa. It seems like a pretty cool little big knife. The compression lock, anodized aluminium, wide handle/blade, colors, and cobra hood were all great features that not many Spydercos have. And all of this was sold at $28.63 with a titanium option for $74.95.

It has me wondering... Why is it that what I take as the replacement for this knife, the Ambitious costs $49.95 and does not have a Cobra Hood option, any colors but black, a liner lock, (dare I say) inferior steel, worse ergos, and in a heavier package then the Salsa?

Can someone explain the reasoning for this??

I was not around when the Salsa came out but when shopping for a new knife I would MUCH rather have the totally unique Salsa then the Ambitious.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I am a huge Salsa fan and would welcome another version.

The Salsa was available many years ago and costs have risen since then. (designs, engineering, manufacturing and materials). It would be a safe bet that if the Salsa were around today, it would cost substantially more than $28.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JLS

Post by JLS »

zunedog31 wrote:And all of this was sold at $28.63 with a titanium option for $74.95.
I just looked and saw that those are the listed MSRP's, but I assure you they were a bit more than that. When Spyderco updated prices a while back, quite a few were messed up.

The Salsa was a neat knife, but I never really warmed up to the Cobra Hood on it. It makes a lot of sense on the Assist, but it seemed out of place on the Salsa.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Bring back a non-hooded Salsa in a decent steel, and I'd happily shell out $80.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The "S" was the replacement. Drilled out handle and blade, more of a leaf blade and a comp lock.

I would love to see the Ti one return via sprint with the integral compression lock. Since it was on Taiwan perhaps we would see a snazzy steel like CTS-XHP. It would prob be around the price of the Techno (give or take).
rg02

Post by rg02 »

zunedog31 wrote:Just wondering if there is interest in returning the Salsa. It seems like a pretty cool little big knife. The compression lock, anodized aluminium, wide handle/blade, colors, and cobra hood were all great features that not many Spydercos have. And all of this was sold at $28.63 with a titanium option for $74.95.

It has me wondering... Why is it that what I take as the replacement for this knife, the Ambitious costs $49.95 and does not have a Cobra Hood option, any colors but black, a liner lock, (dare I say) inferior steel, worse ergos, and in a heavier package then the Salsa?

Can someone explain the reasoning for this??

I was not around when the Salsa came out but when shopping for a new knife I would MUCH rather have the totally unique Salsa then the Ambitious.
Dude---- the Ambitious goes for like $25 NIB :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

I'd be game, I have brought up this same topic before. Love the Salsa, carry one just about everyday.
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

rg02 wrote:Dude---- the Ambitious goes for like $25 NIB :D
I was comparing MSRP from Spyderco.com. It may or may not be accurate but that is what it was listed as.
Own or have owned: Manix2, Dragonfly G10, Sage 1, Tasman Salt, Delica 4 waved, Kiwi, SS Police, Orange PM2, Pacific Salt, Gayle Bradley, Tenacious, Harpy, Military, Salsa, ZDP-189 Ladybug

Come chat with us on IRC at #Spyderco!
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

MSRP Ti 149.95 Al 89.95
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

At one time, I had a complete set of Salsas including the one that accidently turned out looking a little purple .. Only one I kept was the Ti. I think this model went the way of all things because the little sucker would work its way partially open in your pocket. If memory serves, I think the Cobra Hood had something to do with that.
Steve
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Pic just for fun

Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Jay_Ev wrote:Pic just for fun

Is the hood removable?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Rwb1500 wrote:Is the hood removable?
Yep, it's a Torx, not sure what size though.
quinoa

Post by quinoa »

I was just thinking the same thing. Cobra hood outa place but that my pocket wants one.
:spyder:"I would be way more productive if I could just sit in a cave all day.";)
quinoa

Post by quinoa »

A year and a half later and my pocket gets one :D
:spyder:"I would be way more productive if I could just sit in a cave all day.";)
Holland

Post by Holland »

congrats quinoa!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

quinoa wrote:A year and a half later and my pocket gets one :D
Good for you! I'm still casually looking...
endgame

Post by endgame »

That's one salsa collection there
dialex

Post by dialex »

Rwb1500 wrote:Is the hood removable?
Yes, but it doesn't look that good without it because of the cutout in the blade to accomodate the hood.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.