My First Spyderco is here! (Spyderco Navaja first impressions)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Macaulay

My First Spyderco is here! (Spyderco Navaja first impressions)

Post by Macaulay »

Update 1/8/12: Carraca worn out! More detail in post 5

Man, so much to say about this knife!

First off, I have to thank Cutleryshoppe... With the free shipping coupon code I got it the same day I ordered it! Insane! I can't believe I didn't check the mail earlier... Thank you!

Onto the knife itself. Man. The fit and finish on this knife is, for lack of a better word, superb.
This knife is beautiful. Without going to too many lengths, the Navaja (knife) Carraca (something) was a knife the Spaniards used to fight each other if they couldn't have swords for some reason.

This blade definitely looks like it could handle that!

I found an image that does the knife justice here at Nemo Knives Review

Does it not sing to you?
This knife truly is a blend of old and new.

Opening this knife for the first time was pure joy. (If you couldn't tell by now, I'm pretty opinionated towards my new baby :) )
It is butter smooth, and lockup is solid! You get a little tactile feedback opening and closing the blade... Very cool!

There were a few apprehensions I had before I got this knife in my hands. people complained about the bolsters having clip holes in them. In person, it's really not that big of a deal. Actually, I think I'm warming up to it... the hold pattern with the screw seems almost "tribal", evocative of some Native American stuff almost!

Another issue that comes up is the liner lock, which does not stick out very far. I think this is for the best, as it doesn't mess with the handle ergonomics. I press the lock with my thumbnail to close the knife, it works well for me.

The grip of the knife also gets criticized, I think unfairly.
I hold this knife a bit differently than I would hold another, With the "hump" on the back of the handle in the palm of my hand, like so. And, with the fingers open.

It feels very comfortable that way, with the hump resting against my palm and my thumb bracing the grip against the very comfortable jimping. Holding it that way also seems to create more of a negative angle.
The balance of the knife seems to be slightly weighted forward.
The carbon fiber scales are beautiful, I love how they look and feel. They don't give as much grip as, say, G10 but the handle shape is very grippy in it's own right, if that makes sense.

Choking up feels great too. You've seen that I have fairly large hands but skinny fingers, here's my fingers in the choil. Very comfortable. Your mileage may vary, but I'm lovin' it myself. It also works with only one finger on the bottom, like you guys are probably used to.

Now as for the blade itself, a few people have said it's too thick. I don't really have the experience to say whether or not it is, but it definitely cuts well!

And lastly, the clip. Some people said it's a Zippo-esque black chrome. I'd say it's a slightly matted Zippo black chrome. Looks handsome with the carbon fiber!

There's probably a lot I haven't covered. If there's any questions you have about the knife, I'll answer with the best of my ability.

Thank you Spyderco! Thank you Mr. Schempp for designing an awesome knife! Thank you Cutleryshoppe for the great price and prompt shipping. Thank you fellow forumers for being really great people.

Time to go play with my new baby!

-Mac
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

congrats! I guess i will need to get a google account to see your pics. You did a great job with your sm review!
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

Great review Macaulay :D I also own a Navaja & also think it is an awesome knife with great ergonomics! I operate the liner lock the same way with my thumbnail & have no problems with it. The Navaja is definitely one of the best looking of my Spydercos & really stands out amongst the matt black g-10 or FRN scales of 80% of my other spydies :p It is a superb knife.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Congrats! Schempp's designs are among my favorite :) . Beyond the aesthetics they are simply comfortable, high performance tools.
Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

Thanks for the warm reception guys, glad you enjoyed the review
I think I might have to migrate my photos to imageshack or something, didn't realize you needed a google account

I do have an unfortunate update to make- it seems like the "carraca" mechanism has worn out! I've been playing with it a lot, I'm going to estimate 100-200 open/close cycles.
The teeth on the pivot point seem to be fine, and it's still making the teeniest of noises- the ticking of my watch is louder- but the tactile feedback is pretty much gone.
From what I've seen, it's not a common or expected problem, and it (the mechanism) was probably designed to last. Mr. Schempp himself says it's not self destructive. Still, it happened and it's pretty upsetting.

I remain impressed by the quality of Spyderco knives overall, it's really unfortunate my first had to be a lemon.

I guess I will have to send it to Spyderco for repair, but what will I carry 'til then? @_@
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

nice first spydie!!
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There have been a few reports of the wire in the mechanism breaking. But it seems to be pretty rare. It sucks to get a lemon, but Spyderco should take care of it for you.
:bug-red-white
HighDesertSpyder

What next

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Macaulay,
Well it appears you have a winner!. So, you started at the top of the proverbial food chain in the Spyderco world... what's next??? :spyder:
:spyder:74:spyder:
Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

Well I gotta go up, right?

Sebenza!

*checks wallet*

...Tenacious?
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome and congats on the Navaja. Also, thanks for posting the update on the failed carraca. This is the main reason that I haven't picked one up myself. For the price, it should work better than this. I have read about a worn out carraca on many knives. If it didn't have it, it wouldn't be an issue and the knife would be worth it. However, if the carraca is added to a knife of this quality, then it should work.

It's a great knife though, enjoy.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Macaulay wrote: I guess I will have to send it to Spyderco for repair, but what will I carry 'til then? @_@
Macaulay wrote:Well I gotta go up, right?
Sebenza!
*checks wallet*
...Tenacious?
Caly3.5 or Caly3 my favorites), if they are too expensive at the moment get FFG Delica. Then you will be able to compare cutting performance.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
angusW

Post by angusW »

Nice review Macaulay on a nice folder. Sorry to hear that the Carraca on yours broke. It seems to be a somewhat rare occurrence. I've opened/flicked mine probably a few thousand times and it's still going strong.

If you're looking at a knife to carry pick up the Tenacious. For the price it's a pretty nice knife. I love the blade shape on it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies