I know whats causing the grit on the chaparral, Vid inside

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

I know whats causing the grit on the chaparral, Vid inside

Post by razorsharp »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsixTCrNZ4

Sal Id love some input on this. Would you like to see this for evaluation?.

I know what to fix on it, I dont want to void it though and dont want to worry about paying $30 to get it there and back :(
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

That's very interesting,because I have an annoyingly abrasive action on my Delica CE, and had concluded the problem was exactly the same thing.
It's only detectable on a small spot, at about 3/4 of the way open, but I'm confident it was the same anomoly,in the same place.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

and what was a perfect polished tang from factory is scratched from the burr :(
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Travis,

That was a good observation. I will have to remember that if I run into that same situation.

Jeff
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Same issue on my SB Caly3.5. Plus where the blade is held by the pivot (tang part as mentioned above), I can see a scrape line right on the centre of the metal. Its a tad annoying when the opening is not fully smooth but I can live with it. I am not going to take mine apart to sand the inner part of the lock bar down or anything as I am not very good at putting things back together.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

KardinalSyn wrote:Same issue on my SB Caly3.5. Plus where the blade is held by the pivot (tang part as mentioned above), I can see a scrape line right on the centre of the metal. Its a tad annoying when the opening is not fully smooth but I can live with it. I am not going to take mine apart to sand the inner part of the lock bar down or anything as I am not very good at putting things back together.
My caly was gritty, but that was grit and not a burr, wash you caly in hot soapy water and dry thuroughly and lube , and do the process quickly LOL :D :p
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

razorsharp wrote:My caly was gritty, but that was grit and not a burr, wash you caly in hot soapy water and dry thuroughly and lube , and do the process quickly LOL :D :p
Washing Up, I can. I did so twice already with no improvement. Hot soapy water, then with running tap water and oiled it. No luck. When I look inside the handles, I can see that the back of the lock back mechanism is not finished as well as I would like for a knife of this kind. there is one section near the tang that is sort of a darkish brown color as against the chrome color of the other parts.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

KardinalSyn wrote:Washing Up, I can. I did so twice already with no improvement. Hot soapy water, then with running tap water and oiled it. No luck. When I look inside the handles, I can see that the back of the lock back mechanism is not finished as well as I would like for a knife of this kind. there is one section near the tang that is sort of a darkish brown color as against the chrome color of the other parts.
hmmm :( . Maybe sal will chime in with input. I also emailed him with this thread
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

My FFG Delica was a bit gritty when I first got it, so I took it apart and lapped all contact surfaces with some 3200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and now it's really smooth. Although, I wasn't worried about voiding the warranty.
-Ryan
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

I concluded the same problem on my Delica 4 ffg when I got it over a year ago and it just recently went away, probably from extended use and wear of the lockbar.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

razorsharp wrote:hmmm :( . Maybe sal will chime in with input. I also emailed him with this thread
No issues mate. It's not a major issue for me.

Perhaps I will post a few photos on this later. It's hard to get a good focus with my iPhone.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

This is interesting... possibly a buzzed out comment but... I think maybe that oiling doesn't really help the issue as it prolongs the life of the burr from smoothing out... My Yo2 was a bit gritty at first but seems to be smoothing out without cleaning or oiling just use... Lock fully depressed its smooth as ice...
Cheers!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Rockcrawler wrote:This is interesting... possibly a buzzed out comment but... I think maybe that oiling doesn't really help the issue as it prolongs the life of the burr from smoothing out... My Yo2 was a bit gritty at first but seems to be smoothing out without cleaning or oiling just use... Lock fully depressed its smooth as ice...
Yeh, i cleaned out the lube a few hrs ago to try work out the burr
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

See I have a problem with my Chap as well. The tang seems to rub against one liner even though the blade looks centered. I tried to adjust the pivot but there must be loctite in there since it will not budge. Furthermore, there seems to be grit, burr or something that leaves a mark on the lockbar when closing or opening the knife.

I have tried cleaning, lubing and opening/closing to no avail. It has just sat in its box. I will probably send it in and hope for a replacement or a fix. If I get it back the with the same problem then I will consider taking it apart myself.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Razorsharp,

We have had a few peoplpe comment onthe "grittiness", but we don't have any with the problem to investigate. We've mentioned it to the maker and they said they would watch for it.

The one that I carry has been fine since new and the two that I have in the box are also fine.

I've yet to have one that I could inspect myself.

sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

sal wrote:Hi Razorsharp,

We have had a few peoplpe comment onthe "grittiness", but we don't have any with the problem to investigate. We've mentioned it to the maker and they said they would watch for it.

The one that I carry has been fine since new and the two that I have in the box are also fine.

I've yet to have one that I could inspect myself.

sal
I can send you my one for you to investigate if you like though I have pulled it apart to investigate. I have come to the conclusion that it isn't the lockbar but is the round tang. After polishing the contact part of the lockbar, it still wasnt smooth, I stropped the tang but its the same.

I guess theres no getting a new one now as its void and I have to live with the one I have :( . But yeah, your welcome to have a look, it could help you figure whats going wrong in machining, would be cool if you could figure how to fix it. :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I will wait for someone in the US to submit their knife to Spyderco before sending in mine if I feel its worth spending another USD 100 on shipping. Or I can get another Spyderco to that value...hmmm
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

shipping is going to cost me 30-40 US dollars there and back but if it results in a thousand people being more happy, then im happy ;)
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Random note, I like your accent. :D
But shouldn't some sanding and lube take care of the problem?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Minibear453 wrote:Random note, I like your accent. :D
But shouldn't some sanding and lube take care of the problem?
Im a Newzealander, ;)

I polished the tang and lockbar contact and its smoother, but nowhere near caly smoothness or anything