U.S. Postal comes through again !!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MIL-DOT

U.S. Postal comes through again !!!

Post by MIL-DOT »

Yup, I do loves me some U.S. Postal Service !! I never understood all the grief they got. They're faster and cheaper than UPS, they deliver much earlier around here, plus they deliver on Saturdays ( which has kept me from waiting till Monday more times than I can recall.)
Anyway,I was a little surprised annoyed at Amazon for not even shipping my Sage 1 till Friday ( day after ordered), and when on-line tracking showed the knife arrived at our semi-rural post office at 9:00 this a.m. I was hopeful, but not exactly confident ( especially since our mail arrives well before noon), so with trepidation and foreboding, I crept out to the mail box just monents ago ( 11:00 a.m.) and lo & behold, there's a small cardboard box jammed in there !!!!
I ran inside, dropped all that other crapola on the kitchen table, then pulled my trusty Lightweight native from my sweatpants pocket and gently dove in.
As with all of my few Spydies, I was again fortunate not to see any of the rare flaws that are reported on occassion. And this one is, just as I've heard, a true gem. I'm struck by how much lighter it feels compared to my very similar Native5, only about 1/2 ounce, IIRC, but VERY noticable.
I'm also surprised at the amount of texturing on the CF scales, I expected them to be much smoother.
Long story-short, I love it, it really is the work of art I've been told it is, and thanks to you guys, I now know enough to see "Taichiung Taiwan" as a badge of honor,rather than a sign of a lesser product.
Sorry, no pics, and I won't ramble any further as this has been more than ably revued already, I just had to come squealing like a little girl to somebody,LOL !!! :D
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

And another one sees the light. I predicted this post back in November ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Evil D wrote:And another one sees the light. I predicted this post back in November ;)
Yep, I do recall that you did. I have been deservedly "I told you so'd", ;)
( But, even with all the, uh, "teething pains",LOL, I do really dig the N5 I got instead :D )
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

In my many decades of mailing I've only had two packages "lost". In each case it turned out that the other party had given me an incorrect address and both were eventually returned to me by the USPS.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MIL-DOT wrote:Yep, I do recall that you did. I have been deservedly "I told you so'd", ;)
( But, even with all the, uh, "teething pains",LOL, I do really dig the N5 I got instead :D )
I can't say which i would prefer more since i haven't held the Native 5 yet, but i do have a long history with Natives and they're one of my favorites so there's a good chance i'd agree with you. As many liners locks as i've carried over the years, something about them bothers me and i can't really way what it is. It won't stop me from buying a knife but that was the one thing i didn't love about the Sage 1, even though it's likely the reason that knife is so silky smooth.

As for the USPS, i just over-insure the **** out of anything expensive i send, so at least if they do lose it, it's worth the hassle in the end.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Haha wow that was quick. And yea USPS is the best with shipping. Its so much cheaper and so much faster then UPS and fedex. Priority mail is like what $5 bucks and its a 2-3 day service. UPS youll pay like $20+ for that. And no saturdays. I always get usps if I can. Also my dad is a usps carrier so gotta support. Glad you like it, such a nice knife.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

MIL-DOT wrote:Yup, I do loves me some U.S. Postal Service !! I never understood all the grief they got. They're faster and cheaper than UPS, they deliver much earlier around here, plus they deliver on Saturdays ( which has kept me from waiting till Monday more times than I can recall.)

Plus, the post office gets its own shout-out in the Constitution!

Unfortunately, there's a distinct possibility that the "deliver on Saturdays" part is about to become a relic.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The USPS is good. But for some reason, for the last few months, our mail has been coming between 6 and 7:00pm. That's a long time to wait when a Spydie is "out for delivery"!

Enjoy your Sage! :D
:bug-red-white
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

gbelleh wrote:The USPS is good. But for some reason, for the last few months, our mail has been coming between 6 and 7:00pm. That's a long time to wait when a Spydie is "out for delivery"!

Wow, that blows. The last place I lived, I always suffered with 5-5:30 delivery, but that's really late.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

gbelleh wrote:The USPS is good. But for some reason, for the last few months, our mail has been coming between 6 and 7:00pm. That's a long time to wait when a Spydie is "out for delivery"!

Enjoy your Sage! :D
For some reason my house was like one of the last and would come from between 4 and 5, compared to 12 and 1 like most of my life. But its been coming by 2pm since the week before christmas so Im happy. Ps you could always get usps express, they deliever by 12 noon.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i have a knife due today from washington state to syracuse -sent out wed -
usps aint too shabby at that
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Never had a problem with USPS. Click and Ship is great and I like the discount too.

I suspect most problem are a local PO or letter carrier, bad neighborhoods or crooks that claim they never received an item. I work with a lot of immigrants from all over the world, most say their postal systems are not very reliable compared to the USPS.

In all fairness, my experience with commercial carriers has been pretty good too. I used to buy and sell computer parts and if my wife and I would buy everything from the Internet if we could. IMO, UPS is tougher on containers shipped ground, but I received a 'next day air' package from FedEx that looked like it had been hit with a crowbar. I am very lucky to have excellent local USPS and commercial carriers. As always, YMMV :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Kudos bud :) . A great knife proving quality is in the blind comparison not the tang stamp.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

With the amount the USPS gets subsidized by the taxpayers it should run perfect.
Drkknight614 wrote:Haha wow that was quick. And yea USPS is the best with shipping. Its so much cheaper and so much faster then UPS and fedex. Priority mail is like what $5 bucks and its a 2-3 day service. UPS youll pay like $20+ for that. And no saturdays. I always get usps if I can. Also my dad is a usps carrier so gotta support. Glad you like it, such a nice knife.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
angusW

Post by angusW »

The Sage 1 sure is a nice knife there Mark. Unfortunately I don't use mine all that much due to it being more righty friendly. Taichung really do put out quality knives and the Sage 1 is among them.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

im not liking postal right now. Ordered a 302uf stone from CS Monday morning. Jeff sent it out Tuesday morning. The status still says the 29th and its still in Texas. Why it went to Texas before Illinois is beyond me. But it's been there for over 24 hours. Sucks to because there closed Monday.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I only use ups for packages that I could otherwise be charged with a federal offense...jk, I don't send contraband in the mail. Hence, I only use usps.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Congrats on the new knife! I really like the Sage1 but I tend to go with the N5 more. Not sure why, they are both great knives. My sage is a lot smoother though.

USPS has been really good. The one complaint which they are getting better at and applys to .357 mag: they are not very good at updating their tracking. Sometimes it will show being at a certain place, but ends up in the mail when its supposed to. I am also sure this time of years slows the process down with so much more going out for the holidays.

@ 357 mag: Hopefully you will get your knife today. If CS shipped it out Tuesday, probably means it did't do anything till Wed and would arrive today.
The reason why they go traveling the country is because of their routing system, not always a direct flight so to speak. All packages that go by air work this way. Just as if you flew somewhere; they almost always go some other direction before you get to your destination.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

The U.S. Postal Service is one of the best in the world. I've lived in a bunch of places, and I've put up with some pretty crappy postal systems. The USPS makes most of them pale in comparison. Thank God for the USPS! :)
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

INFRNL wrote: USPS has been really good. The one complaint which they are getting better at...... they are not very good at updating their tracking.......
Yeah,I've noticed a lot of inconsistency with their tracking. Sometimes I can follow the package pretty closely,it'll even say "out for delivery" just before I get it. Other times their updates are so late that I'll have it in my hand before it even says it's in my area.
Still, I can't complain. I recently ordered a knife from CS way out in Idaho, that shipped on either a Thursday or a Friday, then was delivered in Georgia the following Monday morning !! That's around two buisness days, and I believe that was the even week before Christmas.