Spyderco Squeak Video Review! :D

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tomoto

Spyderco Squeak Video Review! :D

Post by tomoto »

Hello fellow spydie lovers!

So I got the squeak a few months back and I've been EDCing regularly. I decided it was about time to make a review on it, and before I knew it I had made a 45 minutes video! :eek: Haha, so after a bit of editing, I brought it down to about 10 minutes, but goes to show how much I like the little guy! :D

Here it is: Spyderco Squeak Review

Let me know what you guys think! :)
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Nice review, i do not have any slip joint knives in my spyderco collection, this one in future, could be first. I was looking to another your video about knives daily utility and its nice too. In my opinion, when in your video speak about food preparation, want be nice show some samples.
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

Doesn't your Squeak blunt itself at the tip if light pressure is applied to the back of the blade when closed? Every one I've seen has this design flaw, and if yours does too I'm very surprised you didn't mention it in your review.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Very nice review on the Squeak knife. I left a comment on your youtube site and was wondering how you sharpen your knives including touchups between sharpening, etc. Any other maintenance as well like corrosion prevention if you need it. Seems like I remember you live in Canada. Is that right? If so, are you Canadian or just running from US law enforcement? :) Sorry, little joke (I think). If in Canada, do you live far enough north to have VERY short days in the winter? I lived in AK and during winter it was light about 4 hours per day. Barely dark at night during summer. Back on subject. Is your environment a high humidity location needing more attention to corrosion control?

Again, great video and looking forward to more.

Jack
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Lovely review. Absolutely great little knife. I would probably have one even if I would live in a place without knife restrictions. Subscribed to your channel to get updates :)
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Redeye wrote:Doesn't your Squeak blunt itself at the tip if light pressure is applied to the back of the blade when closed? Every one I've seen has this design flaw, and if yours does too I'm very surprised you didn't mention it in your review.
I've been carrying and using my Squeak for weeks on end now and my blade ist still very sharp. Yes, you CAN push down the blade agains the back spacer/spring when you apply pressure on the closed blade. In real life this doesn't happen very often. When clipped into my pocket I have to intentionally feel for the blade and apply pressure in just the right way to make that happen.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

Redeye wrote:Doesn't your Squeak blunt itself at the tip if light pressure is applied to the back of the blade when closed? Every one I've seen has this design flaw, and if yours does too I'm very surprised you didn't mention it in your review.
Hmm, I took a look at my Squeak after reading your comment as this was the first I've heard of that problem. From my use of the Squeak I have not found the tip to be blunting at any unusual rate, but instead presenting linear wear with the remaining of the cutting edge.

That is, in my use, when I close the Squeak, after the first 90degree stop, I simply put slight pressure and the blade swings closed from there and watching the tip, it does not apply pressure to the backspacer (at least in the two examples I've seen including my own). However if FIRM pressure is pushed onto the blade with it is already closed, yes I can see it rub, but I would not consider that part of normal use? In any case, that would be the only case that I see for potential tip rubbing in my particular Squeak.

[Edit: Looks like I'm mentioning a similar process as SuzieQ did in her previous post, my apologies for the double post! :) ]
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

vito72 wrote: In my opinion, when in your video speak about food preparation, want be nice show some samples.
Great idea, maybe I'll incorporate some food preparation in sometime. :)

SuzieQ wrote:Lovely review. Absolutely great little knife. I would probably have one even if I would live in a place without knife restrictions. Subscribed to your channel to get updates :)
Exactly. Sure is a testimony to Spyderco when individuals living in areas without lock restrictions reach for the slipits! :cool: Thanks for the support
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Awesome review, my sister really wants one (not to mention me :o :p ). would like to see more female knife carriers :D
vito72

Post by vito72 »

SuzieQ wrote:Lovely review. Absolutely great little knife. I would probably have one even if I would live in a place without knife restrictions. Subscribed to your channel to get updates :)
Hi Susie but is in Germany law restriction knives so i remember.. ? When i was there i had with me my native.

@Tomoto added your channel.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Love your reviews, and that's my next knife. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing. :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Yupp. Correct. Germany, place of some weird knife laws. Still, could be worse. That's why I said "if I would live..." but it might have been the wrong grammar and hence the confusion. Sorry, not a native speaker here. "If I lived in place without knife restrictions"? Jeesh, this conditional stuff always gave me a headache ;)

I have to admit, sometimes I intentionally ignore our restrictions and carry a Delica or an Endura anyway. I wouldn't carry an illegal knife into the city to busy places or onto a bar tour. But here in broad daylight in the countryside, who cares. I'll wait for the day when the nice officers (and they usually ARE very nice and polite) try a strip search on me :p

Regardless of my country of residence, I really think the Squeak is a well-rounded and balanced design that just works. The non-locking mechanism makes it as simple as they come. And I think it also appeals to non-knife people therefore maybe opening new markets for Spyderco. Not a bad move, if you ask me.

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Great review :) I've been thinking about this little inexpensive knife for some time, enjoy the tall blade. It's reminiscent of the Urban, another smaller slipit with a slighly different blade style, but a far more affordable price.

Again, very nice review :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
vito72

Post by vito72 »

SuzieQ wrote:Yupp. Correct. Germany, place of some weird knife laws. Still, could be worse. That's why I said "if I would live..." but it might have been the wrong grammar and hence the confusion. Sorry, not a native speaker here. "If I lived in place without knife restrictions"? Jeesh, this conditional stuff always gave me a headache ;)

I have to admit, sometimes I intentionally ignore our restrictions and carry a Delica or an Endura anyway. I wouldn't carry an illegal knife into the city to busy places or onto a bar tour. But here in broad daylight in the countryside, who cares. I'll wait for the day when the nice officers (and they usually ARE very nice and polite) try a strip search on me :p

Regardless of my country of residence, I really think the Squeak is a well-rounded and balanced design that just works. The non-locking mechanism makes it as simple as they come. And I think it also appeals to non-knife people therefore maybe opening new markets for Spyderco. Not a bad move, if you ask me.
ahhh ok ok i understand, i was in Germany with train from PL and i was all time around everywhere with native clipped on pocket.. I planned to buy an urban for this travel but at last, nothing, so i had to travel little bit unlegal, next time i will be there, i will try to keep a squeak so i will use when i travel in countries under restriction. We have in Italy a very difficoult law about knives, i prefer to use native-delica size i used to care for one year military too,but im worry if i meet nice and polite policeman they will confiscated for sure so better loose a common relative cheap and easy replace knife and not one military,the knife i prefer.Abou english is not my native language too, so don't worry.

Excuse to tomoto for our ot.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

nice video thx . greeetzzzz
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Yep, very nice review . I hadn't given these "legal" blades much attention, but I've lately been considering one as a travel blade ( or in anticipation of the U.S. being eventually brought into line with the rest of the oppressed planet :mad: ).
I've been looking at the UK PK's ( hey, can't go wrong with $36 delivered,right?) but now this little Squeak has my attention.
What do you guys think of the UK PK versus the Squeak ?
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Easy. Get both :) The Squeak is really good for disappearing into your pockets and being there when you need it. And it's totally NKP friendly. It's also a good present for daughters, wife, girlfriend. But there's some stuff where more blade really comes in handy. I tried cutting an apple with it and while it worked out okay it was still a bit of a chore. The UKPK with it's larger blade has a wider range of use while still being lightweight and non-threatening.

MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Thanks Suzie, you make an excellent point about the practical usefulness of the larger blade over the tiny Squeak. Better to go with the option that leaves more ......options. ;)
While digging around the interwebz, I stumbled onto this video from a guy in Merry Old England that modified his Persistence to conform with UK's no-lock laws. The guy just tightened the pivot pin, then ground off the liner lock. Seems to work surprisingly well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmqU6Ex ... re=related
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Donut

Post by Donut »

I finally got around to watching this. Very nice review. I was going to ask you how the steel is holding an edge, I have been finding it VERY good at holding an edge. After watching your video and you saying carrying it for months and watching it cut paper, I can see you agree with it.

You did good at commenting on the grip. If I manage to get a 4 finger grip on mine, the thumb ramp is unreachable. I would compromise any leverage by how much I have to bend my thumb to reach the ramp.

Now, I would want to compare this knife to the Lava. The Lava is a full 4 finger grip knife that has a completely rounded (all belly?) blade. I think the Squeak offers a lot better cutting than the Lava because the Lava wants to slide off of everything that it cuts. There is maybe 3/8" of a flat part before the blade slopes into the belly.

Also, the 3mm thick blade is very nice, it makes the knife feel very stout and tough. It gives me the impression of a lot of cutting power in a small package. This is a great LBK! I was hoping you would show the spine of the Squeak versus the spine of the Dragonfly. (Dragonfly is only a 2mm thick blade.)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

MIL-DOT wrote:While digging around the interwebz, I stumbled onto this video from a guy in Merry Old England that modified his Persistence to conform with UK's no-lock laws. The guy just tightened the pivot pin, then ground off the liner lock. Seems to work surprisingly well.
Yeah, there's some good ideas coming from British blade forums about converting knives to conform with the stricter knife laws over here. I modded a Delica, a Ladybug and a Byrd Meadowlark into non-locking folders by simply filing down the locking tang at the back of the blade. In combination with tightening the pivot screw it works well. Of course you got to be more careful with them now but they aren't a real hazard or anything.