First Knife: Tenacious | Second Knife: ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fherot

First Knife: Tenacious | Second Knife: ?

Post by Fherot »

I love and carry my $30 Tenacious everywhere I go but I think the little spider logo crawled off the blade and bit me.

I must have another Spyderco...

What is a good step up from the Tenacious as far as strength, quality, ergonomics and overall popularity? This would probably be a self defense knife I take with me everywhere and on long hikes in the desert so the smaller blade models would be out. (Thank you CA gun laws.) The Tenacious will be demoted to my random utility beater duties.

It's hard for me to say 'step up' from Tenacious since I'm so impressed with it but I forced myself to.

Thanks in advance.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Para 2. Nuff said.
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

My Tenacious was my stepping stone to my Military....
The Military carries like a smale knife but is great for just about any task.
Never regretted that choice :D
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
BAL

Post by BAL »

Listen to Chuck, Para2, nuff said. Then the Military. I know that it is a jump in price from the Tenacious to the Para 2, and there are some great knives in between that are all worthy, but once you hold a Para 2, you will understand.
raggasonic

Post by raggasonic »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Para 2. Nuff said.
I second that :D
BAL wrote:Listen to Chuck, Para2, nuff said. Then the Military. I know that it is a jump in price from the Tenacious to the Para 2, and there are some great knives in between that are all worthy, but once you hold a Para 2, you will understand.
Maybe he can start with an Endura.
Because we all know he won't stop after his second Spydie... :)
:spyder::spyder::spyder:
Work horse or shelf queen, I made my decision
:spyder::spyder::spyder:
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Welcome Aboard. Para2, , with any handle and any steel, you simply can't go wrong with a Para2. 2nd option, Manix2 or Gayle Bradley.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

Get a Para 2, you will love it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Price range?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yesterday Amazon had the Millie for right around $102 shipped. I would suggest that. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

I went Tenacious -> Endura -> Superleaf.
Fherot

Post by Fherot »

Wow that was fast, you guys are great. Not working as Spyderco customer service by any chance?

It seems like the Para 2 is the most popular choice as well as on other random forums popping up here and there.

As far as price range I'm selling something I don't
need anymore on eBay for some dough and I still haven't bought myself anything for my big 3-0 this past October.... So I can justify it to the wife...

I think I'll spoil myself with a Para 2. I'm on my phone right now and it hates me so I'll have to swoon over the model specs tonight.

Thanks everyone!
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

If you want more blade then the Endura or the Para 2. The Manix 2 is right in between them in price range and is another very fine choice.
Fherot

Post by Fherot »

Another one to look at because despite aiming for Para 2 there's so many good models and only one to buy this Christmas.

Are these knives that much better than the Tenacious as far as fit&finish, lock strength, steel etc?

I've only ever owned cheapie stainless china Big5 junk before the Tenacious (which is ironically quality stainless china). So to me I've never held a folder as nice as my Spyderco and you have to see why I find it hard to picture a $111 Para 2 being $80 of more quality. It's not the price tag it's 'how can a knife be better than this "cheap" Spyderco?

Price isn't a concern as long as it has the appropriate value attached.

Mmm Para 2 Digital Camou...
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Check out the delica. Its cheaper than the other suggestions and if you're serious about the self-defense aspect of the knife Spyderco makes a trainer for it . Check it!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Para 2 !!!!!!!!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would probably go Manix2 or Superleaf if you like the blade shape on the Tenacious. I know they aren't the same but they are closer. The Para2 is another great pic.

I know people don't talk about the Superleaf much for a "SD" knife but the handle is pure genius and the lock is bulletproof.
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

I definitely support the Manix2 if you like the blade shape of the Tenacious. It's one of my absolute favorites. The para2 is amazing... I've played with it and it's next on my list. Also I love my Military (FAVORITE!) and my Endura (freaking workhorse)...

As to if they are worth the price increase... I feel that will be in the eye of the beholder. But my opinions is all of those knives are worth every penny you'd pay. Maybe even more ;) Once you get it in hand I believe you will find the price more than justifiable.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Fherot

Post by Fherot »

I stared at several and after much fussing and staring into my phone's screen instead of doing my work...

I ordered a Paramilitary2 in Digital Camo with the black coated blade.

The Tenacious was my first 'top brand' knife and now I have a brand new Para2 in the mail.

I forgot what this feeling was like. It's a drug I think.

Thank you again everyone for your input! I'll be spam clicking my tracking number for the next few days...
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Good choice with the Para 2. You will be proud! :D
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Fherot wrote:I stared at several and after much fussing and staring into my phone's screen instead of doing my work...

I ordered a Paramilitary2 in Digital Camo with the black coated blade.

The Tenacious was my first 'top brand' knife and now I have a brand new Para2 in the mail.

I forgot what this feeling was like. It's a drug I think.

Thank you again everyone for your input! I'll be spam clicking my tracking number for the next few days...
It most certainly is, and I'm crashing hard and in dire need of my next fix. :D