Blue Millie CTS-20CP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FCM415 wrote:Yeah I know, I'd like the steel in more knives though and not just the Millie which is being discussed here.
I'm with you brother. 20CP in any knife is a win for me.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gbelleh wrote:There was a false rumor that 204P was being discontinued. I don't remember anything about 20CP. Maybe someone else can clarify that?
A Carpenter representative posted about that, IIRC. It'd be nice to get any info he could share on 20CP.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Here you all go, straight from the horse's mouth:
Bags14 wrote:OK, normally I do not jump into the forums but just read them to get a feel for what is going now.

In real life I am the Commercial Manager for Knife Blades for Carpenter Technology and I need to clear the air here.

Carpenter is NOT discontinuing CTS 204P. There are a number of custom makers that love the stuff. We are going in the other direction with it!
It will probably go into production with one of the other OEMs in the near future. The origin of of 204P is Carpenter's Micro Melt 20-4 stainless tool steel and not that foreign brand. I think you will find our MM20-4 has been around longer and is source of the chemistry.

In regards to CTS 20CP:
over the last couple years we have developed CTS XHP, 40CP, B70P, BD4P, BD30P, and 204P and we have slab material for OEMs like Spyderco to order from.
We have CTS PD1P in development and we are debating an insane material Maxamet for the market.
CTS 20CP is still there but we have not focused on it. If the market is interested we will be more than happy to make the material
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The way that these two steels the 20cp and 204p continue to be produced is for makers to feature them in their knives otherwise, Carpenter may very well be forced to cease production due to lack of interest. Im not really seeing these steels being talked about outside of Spyderco which itself offer these steels in very limited quantities. These are awesome steels that should be pushed to makers as there certainly is positive feedback from them as well as demand.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

FCM415 wrote:The way that these two steels the 20cp and 204p continue to be produced is for makers to feature them in their knives otherwise, Carpenter may very well be forced to cease production due to lack of interest. Im not really seeing these steels being talked about outside of Spyderco which itself offer these steels in very limited quantities. These are awesome steels that should be pushed to makers as there certainly is positive feedback from them as well as demand.
I don't know if Carpenter produces these steels just for knife blades. IIRC, S90V is made for plastic injection nozzles or something.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote:Here you all go, straight from the horse's mouth:
Thanks for posting that, the dream is still alive. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Good point, Chuck. The high end (speaking of performance more than price as you can buy a knife for thousands made out of a less expensive steel but for other reasons) knife afi steels mostly have their origin for other uses - historically, spring and ball bearing steels have been used for knife making when carbon steels were in vague, and some are still used regularly now. Some more specialized steels used in machining and food processing are being used as the temperature tolerances and durability translate well to knife blades in practical use. Carpenter makes many steels for biotech and other industries, and judging by the advertising I would guess that there are one of the main sources of income - while Spyderco is a ginormous magical dream factory to most of us, their volume is dwarfed by many other well known companies, and it is a much larger investment to :spyder: to place an order of steel that is going into a run of knives than for some of those other companies who make larger runs. That the prices are not jacked up 100% or more from cost for these super and high speed steels is a testament to Spyderco's integrity as well as a hint that Sal and the rest of the Spyder crew are basically steel junkies just like we are. By my understanding, many of these steels are only available reasonably to them because they place a large enough order for all of us steelheads - and the Mule team series is a direct reflection of that.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Holland

Post by Holland »

well said Defenestrate! as for the knife, i sold my only military months ago and havent really missed to tbh. But if this sprint happened, it would be hard to turn it down if it was priced reasonably.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought I read that some steel companies work out a special deal for a small order of a steel so that people will get the word out. Sort of like advertising or samples.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I thought I read that some steel companies work out a special deal for a small order of a steel so that people will get the word out. Sort of like advertising or samples.
I believe some do. Those are probably the newer type steels they want to get out and introduce, as well as get feedback about them. Recall Carpenter was linking to these forums at one time about the forums general like of CTS XHP. I haven't checked lately to see if it still happens. It seems like that would be good for all involved including us provided they turn out steels we like such as CTS-XHP, and others.

On the other hand I know Spyderco has out and out bought steel from suppliers for the mule team just like they do with steel for production knives. If you consider they do these at very little profit for mules we have been more than lucky in my eyes. I never expected the Mule team program to last as long as it has.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

FCM415 wrote:The way that these two steels the 20cp and 204p continue to be produced is for makers to feature them in their knives otherwise, Carpenter may very well be forced to cease production due to lack of interest. Im not really seeing these steels being talked about outside of Spyderco which itself offer these steels in very limited quantities. These are awesome steels that should be pushed to makers as there certainly is positive feedback from them as well as demand.
The high end steels are all used in other industries because that's where most of them came from so it's more about getting them to roll out enough in the sizes that are useful for making knife blades.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ankerson wrote:The high end steels are all used in other industries because that's where most of them came from so it's more about getting them to roll out enough in the sizes that are useful for making knife blades.
Ah, of course but in the end, I hope more makers utilize these steels from Carpenter because like what their employee said on a post on here, they'd be glad to make them available if "there is demand from knifemakers"... And if that doesn't happen, they are as good as gone aren't they.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

FCM415 wrote:Ah, of course but in the end, I hope more makers utilize these steels from Carpenter because like what their employee said on a post on here, they'd be glad to make them available if "there is demand from knifemakers"... And if that doesn't happen, they are as good as gone aren't they.
That means in quantities and sizes that are useful for making knives.....
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I like blue g-10 :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I could use a blue G10 Military. Bring it on.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I like the idea. :)
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Check bentos box shop... I think they have something close! :eek:
Invective

Post by Invective »

Henry - get both wrote:Check bentos box shop... I think they have something close! :eek:
Holy cow that's a bit more expensive than I would like. That seems almost full retail. As much as I'd like an S90V Millie I think I'll pass at those prices. Thanks for the heads up though!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Yeah that's a bit for me
Pretty sweet that it's s90v though
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Oh man. I want that so bad. I love s90v in my mule, and a smurf military would be awesome.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//