Which zdp spyder would you carry? Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

caly3 or delica ffg zdp

caly
64%
delica
36%

Total votes: 81

sal

Post by sal »

Evil D wrote: Share with the group! :D
We've got a Caly3.5 model in-the-works. Blade is laminated ZDP/420 with Carbon fiber scales, like the Caly3. Some of us just like a longer blade :cool: . Should be out early next year.

sal
casey1

Post by casey1 »

awesome! Wow... i hope i still live in the 303 when i have the cash to get a new knife. that would be sooo awesome if i could get one of those for EDC
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'd carry my ZDP Mule. :D

Gordon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sal, whats the reasoning behind the laminated blades? Is it mainly for the better rust resistance or?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Sal, whats the reasoning behind the laminated blades? Is it mainly for the better rust resistance or?
I recall corrosion and toughness as only the edge is in zdp-189. Major factor tho is the laminated zdp is one particular maker's way of doing the steel. The other uses solid blanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the last part.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I vote Delica b/c I have several + one in zdp-189. I like the Delica. I don't have a caly but do have a UKPK which is similar enough to me and I rarely use it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:I recall corrosion and toughness as only the edge is in zdp-189. Major factor tho is the laminated zdp is one particular maker's way of doing the steel. The other uses solid blanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the last part.
That's definitely a major factor. Sal has commented in the past that Moki does not have the equipment needed to work with solid ZDP. Thus the laminated Calypso Jr., Jess Horn Lightweight, Caly 3, and the upcoming Caly 3.5 as welll. Laminated is suppose to give better flex and shock resistance, but I suspect that's more a factor with kitchen knives where the blades tend to be long, narrow, and thin. I figure if it was really important, all Spyderco ZDP blades would be laminated regardless of whether a given maker could produce solid ZDP blades. Personally, I prefer solid ZDP. The 420J2 outer layers on the laminate are not anywhere near as scratch resistant and I've yet to crack or chip a solid ZDP Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I chose the caly 3.5. I don't own one yet and wasn't interested in the super blue and just figured I would get a regular vg-10 production model eventually when funds allowed. I love the caly3 cf . I will wait for the caly 3.5 cf now.
I don't like the 420 layer being so easily scratched but I do like the layered look of the steels.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Manix Guy 2

Count me in !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

My Caly CF 3 is my perfect small knife , but in ZDP I go with my CF Stretch . Sal the 3.5 in ZDP sounds great . Regards MG2
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I carry my ZDP Caly 3 CF every weekday in my work pants. I like the knife shape, blade shape, and low riding wireclip. The Delica 4 in ZDP is also in my user pile but it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as the Caly 3 :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Ok, this is unfair since I only own the Caly ZDP... :p , but I have already picked it out to carry tomorrow!
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I voted Caly 3....... Don't own either but , from what I like in other Spydies it has the 50/50 choil and thumb ramp Jimped. Plus wire clip.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It depends, I if the Delica has a full ZDP 189 and full flat ground blade, I'd go with the Delica, otherwise the Caly 3.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Change your poll to add the Caly 3.5 and vote yes. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

The ZDP Caly 3 is one of my favourite small EDC's (and the Super Blue 3.5, and the S90V Para).
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:That's definitely a major factor. Sal has commented in the past that Moki does not have the equipment needed to work with solid ZDP. Thus the laminated Calypso Jr., Jess Horn Lightweight, Caly 3, and the upcoming Caly 3.5 as welll. Laminated is suppose to give better flex and shock resistance, but I suspect that's more a factor with kitchen knives where the blades tend to be long, narrow, and thin. I figure if it was really important, all Spyderco ZDP blades would be laminated regardless of whether a given maker could produce solid ZDP blades. Personally, I prefer solid ZDP. The 420J2 outer layers on the laminate are not anywhere near as scratch resistant and I've yet to crack or chip a solid ZDP Stretch.
That makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't mind the laminate blade if the outter layer didn't scratch so easily.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey guys,
don't own either, so i carry my zdp michael walker.
great little gents knife!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes: