Open knife in pocket...not good

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Open knife in pocket...not good

Post by Evil D »

The only way i can figure i did this was somehow putting the knife back in my pocket it snagged and opened. Even with that theory, i can't see how it happened since there's nothing to catch on, and the detent on this knife is so strong it's almost too strong. I didn't even notice it in my pocket like this until it was too late and i hit my hand on it and stabbed the side of my palm. Judging by how wide the gash is i'd say 1/4 inch of the tip went in.

Here's the carnage pic if you wanna see it
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... 113017.jpg

Yes, it hurts...a lot. The whole side of my hand is aching. Good thing it's just meat in that area of the hand...if i had hit my wrist i might be posting this from the ER. The hole is in the dark spot in the middle of the blood. I held it shut for about 10 minutes and it closed up nice. If it was any longer it would need stitches.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow! :eek: Sorry to hear bud.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Dang. That is nuts bro. That is weird to see a Para 2 do that. Heal up well. Neosporin that bad boy.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, it hurts but it'll heal fast. I'm just totally baffled at how it could have happened. I know it happened on my break because i was sitting in my car playing with it...so when i was done and put it in my pocket that's when it happened, but still i don't see how it opened going in, and it opened so far that it stuck up that high in my pocket like that. The detent is so strong that i've tried my hardest to open the blade by gravity and it won't budge, and even doing the spydie drop i've had to really use some force to make it open.
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I am having trouble getting the grimace off my face. :(
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is the bloody pic too much? I can delete it if so...don't wanna gross anyone out.

EDIT...i just changed the link so if you wanna see it you can :D
~David
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Well, you did say it was Darth Vader's edc, so maybe it really is evil...

Kidding, kidding. And yes folks, I'm here all day! Good luck with the hand, the blade being open that much is not something I've ever seen before. Do you carry anything else in that pocket? My thought would be maybe something caught the spydie hole and it opened without you knowing it
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

That picture is exactly why I carry tip-up with the spine of the blade against the back of the pocket. Got shanked like that myself one time too many. :o
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

pmbspyder wrote:Well, you did say it was Darth Vader's edc, so maybe it really is evil...

Kidding, kidding. And yes folks, I'm here all day! Good luck with the hand, the blade being open that much is not something I've ever seen before. Do you carry anything else in that pocket? My thought would be maybe something caught the spydie hole and it opened without you knowing it
Could be, there was also a typical razor box knife, chapstick and some life savers in there too.

This **** knife has cut me twice now. I'm starting to think it really is evil :eek:
~David
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Not good at all although it could have been a lot worse still. Main reason I prefer to carry tip up too. Wish you a speedy recovery.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Wow, thats not good!

I fear that happening all the time.
Come Join Us Click Here
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Auch!! I configured my PM2 Tip-Up aswel!!!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I could definitely see how tip up woudl have prevented this....i just don't know if i'd like it tip up, i'm so used to grabbing the hole and dropping it open.

This should ease anyone's concerns as to whether the Para 2 has good piercing ability (as if there was ever a doubt lol).
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

****, thats nasty. :eek:
psychophipps wrote:That picture is exactly why I carry tip-up with the spine of the blade against the back of the pocket
+1 on this
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ouch Sorry to hear of your misfortune....heal up quick..I know a guy who did the same thing with a Yojimbo, but he was not as fortunate with his injury....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am sorry to hear about this. heal fast.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Me Too

Post by JD Spydo »

I had that exact same thing happen to me on one of my older Benchmade folders about 10 years ago. And like yourself I have no idea how it happened :confused:

I've carried that same knife at least 100 times over the years and it never happened again.

That's one reason I quit carrying automatics :eek: I had both my Benchmade autos open in my pockets at one time and it scared the **** out me needless to say.

But if you do find out what it was that did that please let us know. I've been hurt by knives and it isn't any fun let me tell you. JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I ALMOST did that once, not sure how it happened either. Just cut a hunk off of a dirty shirt, dip it in Jack Daniels, take a sip or two for yourself and wrap the shirt around your hand with duct tape. Then tell people that you save a small child from a wild animal, such as a racoon or deer.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Evil D : Your knife's new name is "Damien". For obvious reasons. If you had my "abilities' you would have healed up instantly. But we all can't be mutants I guess.

IG-88 : Love the name. I'm a fan. Ran into a couple of your "kind" in The Outer Rim.
r small

Post by r small »

I used to carry a Benchmade liner-lock. It worked its' way partially open in my pocket a couple of times. The second time it happened was the last time I ever carried a liner-lock.