Blade play issue on Millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MightySpydie

Blade play issue on Millie

Post by MightySpydie »

Got a used Military on the bay a few days ago. In awesome condition, but there is very noticeable up and down blade play (not so much side to side). When I look at the liner lock it doesn't look like there is excessive wear, but the liner doesn't look like it is extending far enough. When I physically hold the liner in place there is no play whatsoever. Is this something I can send in for repair? Or is this just something that comes with use? (Not a lot of experience with liner locks)
rycen

Post by rycen »

First have you tried washing it out in hot soapy water? Next I would try a hard opening and see if the play stops.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Slash

Post by Slash »

Disassemble the knife and bend the liner to increase the strength of lock up. If that doesn't work post some pics of it.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Disassembling Voids Warranty. Proceed With Caution. :D

I'd ask spyderco... or you can try to stick a wedge... and encourage the lock to move.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

[CENTER]Did somebody say Bladeplay !?! :D

Image[/CENTER]

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Thanks all for the tips. Slash, I took your advice and took it apart to bend the liner. Put it back together and lockup is MUCH better now (not perfect, but I can always repeat the process).

This is my first Military. Really impressed with the ease of carry for such a large knife. Been EDC-ing it now for a week and I forget I'm carrying it most of the time. What an awesome blade!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No offense but prob the last thing you want to do is bend the liner. Perceived strength is not always the same as actual strength and I defer to the W&R crew for assembly/disassembly.

I'm sure your knife is quite fine and glad it's tighter. It's prob even more secure now. Just had to throw out the 2 cent disclaimer though.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Good point, I always get nervous "fixing" any $100+ knife. I was pretty dainty with bending the liner, my concern was over-doing it to the point I couldn't reassemble it. I guess time will tell if it holds up.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh I'm sure it will. Good action after assembly is a nice sign! You obviously do a better job than some :) .

Just a disclaimer, etc.
kawr

Post by kawr »

I've never encountered a Military with noticeable vertical play and it is definitly not normal. Send it in to Spyderco and have them fix it. Dont listen to the foolish advice of bending the lockbar in.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

BladePlay wrote:[CENTER]Did somebody say Bladeplay !?! :D

Image[/CENTER]
Youre hilarious. If i was a knife issue, id want to be you.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MightySpydie wrote:Good point, I always get nervous "fixing" any $100+ knife. I was pretty dainty with bending the liner, my concern was over-doing it to the point I couldn't reassemble it. I guess time will tell if it holds up.
When I think about self-help fixes like bending lockbars and liners, I never think about the cost of the knife...I think about the pricelessness of my fingers. :eek: :o :)
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

I would send it in for Spyderco to look at it and possibly repair. I have 3 Militarys and none have play as you describe, and though it may have worked to do so - rather than bend the lock, I would want the manufacturer to check it out for safety and possibly spare my fingers some anguish. Just my 2 cents worth.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I probably should have just sent it in, I guess I took a chance and got lucky. I've taken a few spydies apart in the past. But never even thought about the safety issues, something I should probably take into consideration next time.
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

I've had my Mili that i bought used on eBay for about 2 yrs now. It always had up and down play. One day upon further examination i found that the lock bar was the culprit. I sent it to Spyderco and it's now fixed. From the looks of it they replaced the lock bar and the stop pin.

Here's what it was doing

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JVZiId0EGOo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

DC, mine was doing the exact same thing. I was playing with it just now and I noticed it starting to do the same thing again, albeit less noticeably than before. I think I'm going to send it in for repair, I can see potential lock failure in my future with hard use.
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

MightySpydie wrote: I can see potential lock failure in my future with hard use.
Yep, that was my main concern when i sent it in but the good folks at Spyderco did not disappoint. Not only did they fix it but they also put one heck of an edge on it. A little toothy but I think i like it better this way (for this knife). Now she locks up like a bank vault!

Absolutely NO BLADE PLAY in either x or y axis. It looks and performs like a new knife.

I would say definitely send it in for repair.... even a little lock bar slip is too much for my taste.
Slash

Post by Slash »

For me I go by steps. A) bend the lock which usually works. B)If the stop pin needs to be replaced it's to worn out from flicking it open. But, it all depends on the knife in question because a good stop pin will usually be a harder steel than the blade itself and will get more wear than the pin.

I like to think I know what I'm talking about....sometimes.

If anyone wishes to question my knowledge I'm 38 years old and as a finish carpenter I use all sorts of different tools on a daily basis.

I think it's just that it's a large knife and sometimes that's just the way they are...
araneae

Post by araneae »

Slash wrote: I think it's just that it's a large knife and sometimes that's just the way they are...
Large or not, there should not be vertical movement. I'd send it in.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

If you are mechanically inclined to fix things then give it a shot. We aren't talking diesel injector pump. Just remember steel has its limits. If you have any doubts about your own abilities then send it in to Spyderco.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!