Not much "meat" over-lap on the lock back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

The Deacon wrote:It's just you. I agree the top does not meet the thumb ramp perfectly. That's a common fault on the lower end midlocks. However, if there's any room at the bottom, it's not more than a hair's breadth. I suspect the rust spot at that location may be making you think there's more than there is. More importantly, there's solid engagement at the front and, given the angles involved, the lockbar couldn't go any deeper even if there was space at the bottom.
No, I don't think it is just me. The lockbar does not appear fully engaged. Without physically examining the pieces nobody can say for sure. Thanks for your definitive expert opinion though, which is based solely on a bad-angle photograph of a dis-assembled knife.

araneae

Post by araneae »

salimoneus wrote:Thanks for your definitive expert opinion though, which is based solely on a bad-angle photograph of a dis-assembled knife.

As is yours apparently.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

salimoneus wrote:No, I don't think it is just me. The lockbar does not appear fully engaged. Without physically examining the pieces nobody can say for sure. Thanks for your definitive expert opinion though, which is based solely on a bad-angle photograph of a dis-assembled knife.

How about the fact that I've been here since 2006 and I have no reason to try to screw Spyderco. Heck I'm not even dissatisfied with the lock, I just happened to open up a knife that I have been using to clean up. How do you think it has rust on it? I've used this knife for a few years now and I don't clean it much. I don't use it as much as my other knives that's all.

I took the picture and I can tell you it is fully engaged. The lock cannot go any deeper bro. I unscrewed all the screws and simply took the scale and liner off of the knife.

No need to dig on Paul either. He's been here longer than most of us and he is actually very knowledgeable. He's been here since 2004 (I believe) and has probably seen more knives apart than you have. No need to join a forum and not even be active for a year and think you're an expert on everything.

How much better of a photo do you want? I don't have a light box and was not about to take a knife outside while it's disassembled. Give it a rest dude.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

David Lowry wrote:How about the fact that I've been here since 2006 and I have no reason to try to screw Spyderco. Heck I'm not even dissatisfied with the lock, I just happened to open up a knife that I have been using to clean up. How do you think it has rust on it? I've used this knife for a few years now and I don't clean it much. I don't use it as much as my other knives that's all.

I took the picture and I can tell you it is fully engaged. The lock cannot go any deeper bro. I unscrewed all the screws and simply took the scale and liner off of the knife.

No need to dig on Paul either. He's been here longer than most of us and he is actually very knowledgeable. He's been here since 2004 (I believe) and has probably seen more knives apart than you have. No need to join a forum and not even be active for a year and think you're an expert on everything.

How much better of a photo do you want? I don't have a light box and was not about to take a knife outside while it's disassembled. Give it a rest dude.
First off why do you think I was attacking you? I didn't say two words to you. All I did was question whether or not the lockbar was engaged (noticed I said questioned, not stated as fact) and I also noticed the pic was off angle making it even harder to tell. I never implied you were trying to screw anyone, so relax.

I'm not digging anyone. Just saying that it's near impossible for anyone to come to solid conclusions based upon one picture and not a very good one at that. Telling someone "no it's just you" seems a little over confident to me considering how little hard info is available here. I don't care how long Paul or Bill or Ted or anyone else has been here, making definitive conclusions based upon such little information seems silly.

sal

Post by sal »

Materials used are very important. Some materials are betteer than others. Heat treatment is also critical as is geometry. Spring pressure, even the finish matters. Sometimes what you can't see is more important than what you can see.

sal
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

salimoneus wrote:First off why do you think I was attacking you? I didn't say two words to you. All I did was question whether or not the lockbar was engaged (noticed I said questioned, not stated as fact) and I also noticed the pic was off angle making it even harder to tell. I never implied you were trying to screw anyone, so relax.

I'm not digging anyone. Just saying that it's near impossible for anyone to come to solid conclusions based upon one picture and not a very good one at that. Telling someone "no it's just you" seems a little over confident to me considering how little hard info is available here. I don't care how long Paul or Bill or Ted or anyone else has been here, making definitive conclusions based upon such little information seems silly.

Well said my friend.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Two people just made my ignore list. First time in a couple years. :rolleyes:

I miss the "old forum".
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

David Lowry wrote:Two people just made my ignore list. First time in a couple years. :rolleyes:

I miss the "old forum".
Wow you sure are a sensitive feller. Oh well, no hard feeling on my end anyway ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

salimoneus wrote:No, I don't think it is just me. The lockbar does not appear fully engaged. Without physically examining the pieces nobody can say for sure. Thanks for your definitive expert opinion though, which is based solely on a bad-angle photograph of a dis-assembled knife.

Now let me get this straight, the photo is well enough angled to support your conclusions, but not mine. And you persist in them even after the person who owns the knife and took the photo says, flat out, that you're wrong. :rolleyes:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

The seat belt buckle in my Ford truck is easier to disengage than the one in my Chevrolet van. Used correctly i.e. not pressing the button (or lock) during use both will do their job.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

sal wrote:Materials used are very important. Some materials are betteer than others. Heat treatment is also critical as is geometry. Spring pressure, even the finish matters. Sometimes what you can't see is more important than what you can see.

sal
Truth!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Aside from all the bickering , I like the fact that the knife was taken apart to see the inner workings. I think the pics are good. And as long as the blade locks up solid and tight then I am happy. Sal has made a good point . I love the Native5.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

The Deacon wrote:Now let me get this straight, the photo is well enough angled to support your conclusions, but not mine. And you persist in them even after the person who owns the knife and took the photo says, flat out, that you're wrong.
I don't know. I used the words "appear" several times in my posts, and even posed it as a question. This would seem to imply I was not fully decided and made no definite conclusion.

On the other hand, your reply "no it's just you" wreaks of over-confidence and arrogance, and even has a condescending tone as if you state your opinion as fact. I have no patience or respect for people with such attitudes.

I don't care if you've been a member here for 10 years or 2 days. That's great if you think you're some sort of definitive knowledge base, but I'll take it all with a grain of salt thank you until someone responds who has either designed or touched the knife parts in question. I have a feeling you've done neither.
araneae

Post by araneae »

salimoneus wrote:I don't care if you've been a member here for 10 years or 2 days. That's great if you think you're some sort of definitive knowledge base, but I'll take it all with a grain of salt thank you until someone responds who has either designed or touched the knife parts in question. I have a feeling you've done neither.
Umm, how about Sal, who replied already? Or David, who also replied? Both seem to feel there is no cause for your concerns.
-Nick

salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

araneae wrote:Umm, how about Sal, who replied already? Or David, who also replied? Both seem to feel there is no cause for your concerns.
And what exactly is my concern? And what exact conclusion did Sal come to in regards to this specific knife? If you know the answers to either question I'd be interested, because I'm still unsure of either. I'm just here wondering the same things most are I'd guess.

And why are you directing your suspicion at me? I'm not the one who made this post with pictures and casting doubt about Spyderco designs. Does not the thread subject clearly state "not much meat"? If that does not clearly cast doubt then I don't know what does my friend.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Oh for Pete's sake people. This was an interesting thread until the pissing match started. Disagreement is fine but can we go back to the discussion in a civilized way please? No need to bait each other. Thank you! :)

What I find interesting is that the photo didn't appear to bother Sal at all. Why do you suppose not?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Bolster wrote:Oh for Pete's sake people. This was an interesting thread until the pissing match started. Disagreement is fine but can we go back to the discussion in a civilized way please? No need to bait each other. Thank you! :)

What I find interesting is that the photo didn't appear to bother Sal at all. Why do you suppose not?
Yes, Sal was very calculated in offering absolutely no conclusions in his post. Perhaps others should take note of this, because I think some are missing this very important point.
araneae

Post by araneae »

The ignore function is sounding like a sensible move now.
-Nick

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

araneae wrote:The ignore function is sounding like a sensible move now.
Hey! Would you care for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? ;)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Bolster wrote:Oh for Pete's sake people. This was an interesting thread until the pissing match started. Disagreement is fine but can we go back to the discussion in a civilized way please? No need to bait each other. Thank you! :)

Agreed.

You got it brother.

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hey! Would you care for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? ;)
Hilarious. :D