Spyderco Rescue Hook Please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drkknight614

Spyderco Rescue Hook Please?

Post by Drkknight614 »

So, spyderco is one of my favorite companies and would really like to see a spyderco rescue hook. My benchmade rescue hook never leaves my side. I have one in my car as a back up and incase I forget to put my 5 on my belt. Then I also have a rescue 8 in my turn out gear. The rescue hook design is just so great for so many tasks. Ive used mine so many times and everytime I was so happy that I remembered to edc it. I know spyderco has its rescue blades, they shred through everything very quickly. But when you got an already excited and stressed out patient stuck in a car, pulling a knife on them isnt always the best idea. When your working in the back of the ambulance and hands are moving everywhere working on the patient and the bus is moving all around, a super sharp spyder edge is not always the best to whip out. Im able to cut shirts and other things away from the patient without worrying about cutting them or others in the back of the ambulance. The rescue hook slices through the toughest materials and does it quickly, at least in half the time that it takes sheers to do the same deed.

So spyderco, I know you can make hooks (whale resuce hook), I know you can make super corrosion resistant (h1 steel), I know you can make great ergos, i know you can make crazy sharp, and I know you can make quality. Id like to see a rescue hook, about three to four inches long, with rounded edges. Jimping to provide grip when your gloves are wet and full of who knows what. But not too sharp that it tears your gloves. Rounded edges again because ripped gloves is not something you want. A grippy material would work good too, but something that repels blood and other stuff and is easy to clean and keep sanitary. Throw on an Oxygen wrench hole also. The final thing is a hard sheath, that holds the hook securely but allows it to be easily taken out and one that is equally as easy to keep sanitary as the hook itself (benchmades come with nylon sheaths, and there hard sheaths aren the best).

Another thing I love about the rescue hooks is that they are inexpensive, but wouldnt mind spending alittle more if spyderco put out something great. **** Id he happy if spyderco put out a folder that was shaped into a rescue hook, maybe a hook on one side with the spydie hole and a regular or sheapsfoot blade on the other.

Any other firefighters, ems people or even leo and military people chime in with your thoughts. I know many of our armed forces are issued the benchmade rescue hooks.

Thanks Spyderco.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

They do make one, only it wont work for you if you aren't into saving whales... lol

edit: ok you know about the whale hook :(
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

It would definitely be interesting to see how Spyderco would o about deigning a rescue hook, especially if it were in H1. Honestly I have not used a rescue hook in a "practical setting" but they must work quite well if they are soo popular. Personally I stick to my Trauma shears and my assist. Maybe one of these days i'll get one just to play around with...
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Personally I think H1 is a great knife steel, but knives can be sharpened relatively easily. I do not think H1 is up to the demands of a rescue hook. Perhaps N690 would work if corrosion was an issue. Personally, I would probably prefer one made from something a little tougher...

If spyderco ever learns to HT Cru-ware, a DLC version of that would be great :p I kid I kid!
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

ClusterFlux wrote:It would definitely be interesting to see how Spyderco would o about deigning a rescue hook, especially if it were in H1. Honestly I have not used a rescue hook in a "practical setting" but they must work quite well if they are soo popular. Personally I stick to my Trauma shears and my assist. Maybe one of these days i'll get one just to play around with...
Check out some of benchmades video demonstrations on youtube. Or get one and try it, only $25 bucks. And yea DC, high edge retention is a must, since hooks are hard to sharpen.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

The only concern i have about rescue hooks is the small opening. The department where i volunteer does a fair amount of rope rescue, and i don't see it working very well on 14mm rope.
1*

[/b][/URL]
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

My girlfriend has one of the larger Benchmade Houdini's and that thing rocks... I could totally see a Spyderco one with the hook... the squeeze out glass breaker that they do... and maybe their rescue blade... kind of like a better version of the BM Triage. :)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Even out of the rescue arena a hook or V-cutter as SOG calls it on some of their multi-tools comes in very handy. My wife had some tests at the hospital and they put a plastic bracelet on her. When we left she asked me to cut it off. I happened to have the multi-tool on me and used the V-cutter instead of a knife blade. She always gets nervous when holding something for me to cut. She knows how sharp I keep my knives and one unexpected movement by one of us could result in me getting punched in the eye. :eek: The V-cutter eliminated the possibility of her accidentally getting cut. They are also great when cutting lots of string or small rope.

A cutting tool like that is really useful in so many situations. I would think a rescue situation would be extra risky with the speed needed and maybe a non-knife person all of a sudden having a scary looking blade being flicked open. The Assist blade definately looks out of the ordinary. Even though it is safer it may not look like it to the untrained eye.

If Spyderco included one in a tool I think it would be a good thing from a user's perspective. Manufacturing costs are something they would need to evaluate.

Jack
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

ClusterFlux wrote:The only concern i have about rescue hooks is the small opening. The department where i volunteer does a fair amount of rope rescue, and i don't see it working very well on 14mm rope.
True you wont be able to cut it in one pull, just gotta wiggle it around a bit, itll work. By no means replace your knife with it, just carry both.

Seriously guys, if you havent already check out the benchmade rescue hook demo videos on youtube. Youll see what a hook design can do.

Please make one spyderco lol.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have 3 rescue hook types myself. On my work jeans I carry a Benchmade Rescue hook and on my everyday jeans I wear a CRKT Extrik-8. Essentially the same tool only a little larger. I also have a Blackhawk Hawkhook folder that I have carried at times. I would quicker use any of these for cutting something away or cutting a seat belt than a folder of any sort, which is why I carry them.

There was a video a few years back where a mom in Indiana that crashed her van on a residential street and people are trying to get a kid in a car seat out. The emergency people that finally got in the burning van to get the kid out had to borrow a knife. That was shocking to me, and if I'm going to lend something out if I have to there is no figuring out how either of the hooks work.

It would be nice if the blade was something that held an edge for a long time, like ZDP-189, maybe a DLC coated blade? That or something that is easy to put a edge back on because if you don't know what you are doing the "guthook" blades can be a pain to get sharp again once they are used.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

I have a Benchmade hook that the army issued me, as well as a Miltac one that I believe is superior. I also have a Zt one that I use as a jknife to remotely cut wires. As far as purpose built tools, they are amazing, and I'd definitely be down for a Spyderco version...... But it will never replace my knife.
"I'd rather get blown up than look stupid."
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

We're listening. We've thought about it, even designed a few.

Keep giving us info on what you want and what features would work best for you. We'd also be interested in your opinions on what doesn't work and what you would do to improve those issues.

sal
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

Sal,

As mentioned before, I use these tools differently than most, but for my perfect jknife I would prefer an almost closed out cutting surface. Maybe 1/3- 3/8 of an in exposed. And definitely at least a 14mm Spyderco hole at the opposite end to tie a rope to
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Would it be possible to somehow integrate it with the current Assist model? I'm thinking something similar to the BM Triage.

If not, any one-handed opening hook with an ergonomic handle would be heads and tails ahead of most tools on the market.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

sal wrote:We're listening. We've thought about it, even designed a few.

Keep giving us info on what you want and what features would work best for you. We'd also be interested in your opinions on what doesn't work and what you would do to improve those issues.

sal
Hey sal, I love that you are chiming in on this!

Perhaps something with a slightly larger opening, or perhaps one with TWO :eek: hooks on it (one large, one small), maybe on opposite sides so it looks sort of like a hammer head. In fact, that could be its name!

The only other things I would suggest have been discussed so far DLC coating, and a SUPER STEEL of some sorts. Having a kick @$$ steel will set the Spyderco offering apart from the entire market of safety hooks out there now. You know, do what you do!
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

sal wrote:We're listening. We've thought about it, even designed a few.

sal
Thanks for stopping by Sal. I feel simplicity is important with these things. Something that is easy to clean after each use. A folder would be cool, but besides driving up price, stuff will be harder to clean out, especially the pivot area. Blood and other stuff does not need to be getting trapped in there. When Ive used my rescue hook in the past Ive always had to put it down somewhere instead of resheathing it because I didnt want anything being absorbed by the nylon. The nylon sheath is great, its super slim and you barely know its there, but its no good with blood and guts. Many people paracord wrap their hooks too, which again, is not sanitary. I do think there should be an option to attach a lanyard but a grippy, ergonomic handle should exist as well, and one that wont cut through gloves.

I also like what DC is saying about it being DLC and a possible super steel. These things can be tough to sharpen by most people, so excellent edge retention is a must. DLC is one of the best coatings out there, plus itll look cool and be good for the military guys that dont want flashy equipment. I wouldnt mind seeing a glass breaker on the butt end of this hook either.

BJEOD, is the benchmade you have the EOD 8? They have an 8 that is designed to attach into the bots arms. I thought it was pretty cool.
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

Drkknight,
No, unfortunately I have never even seen that one, and it def hasn't been issued to us. Looks really cool though. Gonna need to order some of those for us!
- One of the greats

Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I'm not sure how it would be able to pull of with out making it look like all the other hooks out there, but as an EMT i use a standalone 02 wrench quite often. It would be nice to have one either built into the knife somehow. That being said, there is always a balance between having a simple tool that is compact, and a bulky tool that doe everything. When faced with a choice i'd rather have a simple one. Personally I would also like to see something that has a decent steel that will hold an edge and won't rust, and at the same time something that is more replaceable if damaged or lost.

Just a random idea, but maybe it would be possible to fit some sort of rescue hook into an already existing FRN handle like the Dragonfly or Delica handles. Anyhow, I think i'll have to get a competitor's rescue hook to play with now. It would be interesting to see what Spyderco's take would look like, most of the offerings on the market look quite similar.
1*

[/b][/URL]
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

ClusterFlux wrote:I'm not sure how it would be able to pull of with out making it look like all the other hooks out there, but as an EMT i use a standalone 02 wrench quite often. It would be nice to have one either built into the knife somehow. That being said, there is always a balance between having a simple tool that is compact, and a bulky tool that doe everything. When faced with a choice i'd rather have a simple one. Personally I would also like to see something that has a decent steel that will hold an edge and won't rust, and at the same time something that is more replaceable if damaged or lost.

Just a random idea, but maybe it would be possible to fit some sort of rescue hook into an already existing FRN handle like the Dragonfly or Delica handles. Anyhow, I think i'll have to get a competitor's rescue hook to play with now. It would be interesting to see what Spyderco's take would look like, most of the offerings on the market look quite similar.
This is why I dont have an Assist. Its a great knife, but too bulky for me and too much going on. And attention to detail is everything, which spyderco does with every product they put out. Id expect a rescue hook or rescue hook folder to be just as such.
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

I'd like to see one too.