Got my Spyderco Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DedRok

Got my Spyderco Native 5

Post by DedRok »

Hey guys, I got my Native 5 yesterday. I have FRN Delicas and FRN Dragonflies for EDC, but I wanted a higher quality EDC in the same size category as the Delica...

The Native 5 G10 fits the bill perfectly. It's almost identical on the size department with the Delica but its got a heavier quality feel to it. It feels amazing in hand as well.

The only con I can think of is it's price... If it was 25% cheaper, it would be legendary.

More pictures to follow...
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Sure is a good looking knife.

Might need to pick one up!
Come Join Us Click Here
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just got mine 2 days ago and I'm really liking it. It makes a great small but solid EDC and IMO, it's definitely worth the price I paid.

:D
:bug-red-white
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I love my Native 5, but it didn't seem as smooth as everyone else has described, so I have sent it to Spyderco to see what's wrong with it. I tried adjusting the pivot screw, but it didn't help. Has anyone else noticed theirs being very stiff and blade wouldn't even think about dropping to where the choil hit the index finger when lockbar was pressed without a hard flick of the wrist?
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine was quite stiff out of the box, and wouldn't really swing free like a PM2, but it's been smoothing out a lot. It will now drop all the way to the index finger. It just took a couple days of playing with it. My Chaparral also took a little time to smooth out.
:bug-red-white
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You sure take a pretty picture. Now, of course I have to have one - thanks a lot! :cool: Seriously, great shot. Thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Jazz wrote:You sure take a pretty picture. Now, of course I have to have one - thanks a lot! :cool: Seriously, great shot. Thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I'll have more tomorrow. :)

DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Jazz wrote:You sure take a pretty picture. Now, of course I have to have one - thanks a lot! :cool: Seriously, great shot. Thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I'll have more tomorrow. :)

I hope some of these photos inspire you to try out the Native 5. :)

This knife is drooping in quality.

Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

DedRok wrote:Hey guys, I got my Native 5 yesterday. I have FRN Delicas and FRN Dragonflies for EDC, but I wanted a higher quality EDC in the same size category as the Delica...

The Native 5 G10 fits the bill perfectly. It's almost identical on the size department with the Delica but its got a heavier quality feel to it. It feels amazing in hand as well.

The only con I can think of is it's price... If it was 25% cheaper, it would be legendary.

More pictures to follow...
The Native 5 is great. Near perfect EDC. I think that the price is fantastic especially when you consider the level of quality and fit & finish you're getting. I would gladly pay a little more money to get a lot more knife.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Spydesense wrote:I love my Native 5, but it didn't seem as smooth as everyone else has described, so I have sent it to Spyderco to see what's wrong with it. I tried adjusting the pivot screw, but it didn't help. Has anyone else noticed theirs being very stiff and blade wouldn't even think about dropping to where the choil hit the index finger when lockbar was pressed without a hard flick of the wrist?
I was wondering, how long did you have it before deciding it needed to go to Spyderco? Also, did you lube it and how much did you open and close it?

I'm asking because I got a Chaparral recently and it was unacceptable (sort of) as far as opening and closing smoothness. I oiled it at least once a day and opened and closed it whenever my right hand was free. After 3 days (max) the blade would fall freely bouncing off my index finger. It still feels a little rough when opening it but that is from the friction of the lock bar on the tang. I don't think I'll be able to get rid of that but it is very slight and I'm not worrying about it. Spyderco may be able to cure it but I'm not sure it's worth shipping to and from them for a possible cure. The only knife I bought that came out of the box really flawless in smoothness was my Manix2. All others required a break in loosening period. I hope Spyderco can fix the knife for you.

Jack
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Spydesense wrote:I love my Native 5, but it didn't seem as smooth as everyone else has described, so I have sent it to Spyderco to see what's wrong with it. I tried adjusting the pivot screw, but it didn't help. Has anyone else noticed theirs being very stiff and blade wouldn't even think about dropping to where the choil hit the index finger when lockbar was pressed without a hard flick of the wrist?
gbelleh wrote:Mine was quite stiff out of the box, and wouldn't really swing free like a PM2, but it's been smoothing out a lot. It will now drop all the way to the index finger. It just took a couple days of playing with it. My Chaparral also took a little time to smooth out.
jackknifeh wrote:I was wondering, how long did you have it before deciding it needed to go to Spyderco? Also, did you lube it and how much did you open and close it?

I'm asking because I got a Chaparral recently and it was unacceptable (sort of) as far as opening and closing smoothness. I oiled it at least once a day and opened and closed it whenever my right hand was free. After 3 days (max) the blade would fall freely bouncing off my index finger. It still feels a little rough when opening it but that is from the friction of the lock bar on the tang. I don't think I'll be able to get rid of that but it is very slight and I'm not worrying about it. Spyderco may be able to cure it but I'm not sure it's worth shipping to and from them for a possible cure. The only knife I bought that came out of the box really flawless in smoothness was my Manix2. All others required a break in loosening period. I hope Spyderco can fix the knife for you.

Jack
Mine was and still is stiff compared to what some others are reporting on their examples. If I wasn't aware of the refinements that went into this model, I wouldn't be able to tell based on mine's opening and closing feel. It's not bad to me, but it's less than I was expecting.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Great pictures. I like the Native 5 more and more with the pictures of it I've been seeing. I can't even express how glad I am that the blade is now FFG. I might have to pick one of these up in the future, hopefully the price will come down some though.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Chris_H wrote:Mine was and still is stiff compared to what some others are reporting on their examples. If I wasn't aware of the refinements that went into this model, I wouldn't be able to tell based on mine's opening and closing feel. It's not bad to me, but it's less than I was expecting.
That's how I am with my Chaparral. It is at a questionable place as far as smoothness when opening. I can live with it with no problem but I would like it if I could get rid of the roughness. I just emailed Spyderco about it and will see what they say. If it isn't covered by warranty I definately won't worry about it. If I have to pay for shipping and knew it would get fixed I might send it to them. The thing is if it wasn't for reading this forum I wouldn't even care about it. You guys are making me too picky. :D That's ok though. I even think Spyderco wouldn't want to risk loosing a sale from the guy that borrows my knife and says "man, that is a great knife, but it's a little rough when opening it." :D

Jack
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

jackknifeh wrote:The thing is if it wasn't for reading this forum I wouldn't even care about it. You guys are making me too picky. :D That's ok though.

Jack
Ignorance is bliss. :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks for more pics! You're good with a camera. I'm now quite sure I'll buy one of those, thanks to you. Those are calendar material pics, by the way.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

jackknifeh wrote:I was wondering, how long did you have it before deciding it needed to go to Spyderco? Also, did you lube it and how much did you open and close it?

Jack
Hey Jack...I had it for 5 days. I did lube it a couple of times and opened it every chance I got ( I would guess 300ish times). It may have gotten a little better since I received it, but not what I would expect from a $100+ knife. It really did seem like something wasn't right with the pivot bushing...we will see!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Spydesense wrote:Hey Jack...I had it for 5 days. I did lube it a couple of times and opened it every chance I got ( I would guess 300ish times). It may have gotten a little better since I received it, but not what I would expect from a $100+ knife. It really did seem like something wasn't right with the pivot bushing...we will see!
That should have made a big difference I think. If it didn't something else is probably needed. Good luck. I'm sure it will be perfect when it comes back. Something may slip through from an assembly line but when they have an individual knife in hand I think the Spyderco folks will give it some TLC.

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Such a great looking knife...but why do they keep making the sharp edge smaller...annoys me so much! The Native is a super comfortable knife, but easily could make the choil a touch smaller and give us back some edge...the native has gone from 67mm to 64mm and now 62mm. I think that getting that length back would be so much better....Sal if you read this, please put some edge back on the Native, I love it so much but want more edge.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Such a great looking knife...but why do they keep making the sharp edge smaller...annoys me so much! The Native is a super comfortable knife, but easily could make the choil a touch smaller and give us back some edge...the native has gone from 67mm to 64mm and now 62mm. I think that getting that length back would be so much better....Sal if you read this, please put some edge back on the Native, I love it so much but want more edge.
4mm of that 5mm is due to the blade itself being 1/8" shorter, which I suspect was done to increase the number of places where it can be legally carried. It may not work for you but I like a choil and, since a cramped one is uncomfortable and a waste of space, I'll gladly give up a bit of edge to get a deep and comfortably wide one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!