Tan Manix 2 on the way!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Frapiscide

Tan Manix 2 on the way!

Post by Frapiscide »

I finally took the plunge and placed an order on Bento Box Shop for a Tan Manix 2. Can't wait for it to arrive!
dalstott wrote:When people have no ideas they invent words.

If you can not stun them with brilliance , then
baffle them with BS
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a fantastic Manix2 :) . Quite attainable too considering the exclusive nature of limited runs.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I'm surprised for how long it's been up on the site and isn't sold out.

baffle them with BS
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Frapiscide wrote:I'm surprised for how long it's been up on the site and isn't sold out.
Me too. :)
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Frapiscide wrote:I'm surprised for how long it's been up on the site and isn't sold out.
Me too! I love M4...if I had more money I would probably buy a second Manix just so that my house had more M4 in it...
On the hunt for...
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

How prone to rust is M4? The High Speed steel (M4) end mills at our school's shop seem to do well dry in storage.

baffle them with BS
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Frapiscide wrote:How prone to rust is M4? The High Speed steel (M4) end mills at our school's shop seem to do well dry in storage.
I don't find that it has been an issue at all. Up here we get some really really humid weather in the summer the GB I carry has no rust, and the Manix and GB that I have stored right now are as spotless and shiny as they were the day I bought them, and they have no lube or anything extra to protect them.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Frapiscide wrote:How prone to rust is M4? The High Speed steel (M4) end mills at our school's shop seem to do well dry in storage.
I don't even have patina on mine or a spec of anything. Coat it every couple weeks with mineral oil while stored. Never had a problem before i bought the oil.

Being extra cautious never hurts. Still, it's doesn't evaporate on contact to moisture like the Wicked Witch =).
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

One indication that, while not stainless, CPM M4 is somewhat less prone to corrosion than regular ingot tool steels is the (sorry about this pun) spotty results that many people have when they try to artificially rust, I mean put a "patina," on their CPM-M4 blades. It's not stainless, but it isn't likely to rust every time you turn your back on it - unless perhaps you work as a longshoreman or something like that. ;)
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Just got home from school and was greeted by a white box.

Here's some pics:

Then just a group photo of current Spydies I own:

I was surprised by how strong the ball lock spring is. I've heard people saying it's stiff, but it's stiffer in person. Fit and finish is nice. The primary bevel seems to be higher than normal, also grind is just a little uneven but I don't mind.

baffle them with BS
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice knife!
I have had issues with a few light rust/pitting spots on my M4 Military. I've since coated all my M4 blades with Tuf Glide, and haven't had any more problems. I'd definitely recommend treating it with some kind of protectant.
:bug-red-white
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Do you know if Tuf-glide leaves any weird taste in foods?

baffle them with BS
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I wouldn't use a Tuf Glide treated blade on food. I only use dedicated kitchen knives for food. Maybe a non-toxic mineral oil would be better in that case.
:bug-red-white
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

Has anyone here carried a carbon steel blade (folder or fixed) IWB or in the small of the back? Has there been any issues with rust/discoloration? Every once in a while, I like to carry IWB or in the small of the back to allow more room in my pockets.

baffle them with BS
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Frapiscide wrote:Do you know if Tuf-glide leaves any weird taste in foods?
Sentry Solutions says not to use it on items that will be used for food prep. :(
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Frapiscide wrote:I finally took the plunge and placed an order on Bento Box Shop for a Tan Manix 2. Can't wait for it to arrive!
Congratulations on the M4 Manix2. I love mine. M4 has proven to be a great steel. At least to me. The knife fits in my hand as if I made a fist and the knife was poured and formed to the inside of my closed hand.

One thing seems a little unfair to me though. I (and many others) had to wait for months to get ours after putting them on pre-order. Then, they shipped a bunch out but didn't have enough to send them to everyone so some of us had to wait another 2 or 3 weeks. Now you order one and get it in a few days. NO FAIR! :mad: Just kidding. I'm glad there are still some available for more people. Enjoy the knife.

Jack
angusW

Post by angusW »

Frapiscide wrote:Do you know if Tuf-glide leaves any weird taste in foods?
I've e-mailed the Tuf-Glide company before asking them if Tug-Glide is safe for food and if not do they have a product that is. The response was no and no. The second "no" because to sell something that is food grade they then would have to do a major upgrade to their facilities in order to pass food safety protocols.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

jackknifeh wrote:Congratulations on the M4 Manix2. The knife fits in my hand as if I made a fist and the knife was poured and formed to the inside of my closed hand.
Thanks. I was surprised at how well it fit the hand. As they say, it fits like a glove!
jackknifeh wrote:
Ouch, I've had my share of those experiences. Still perplexed though, how they aren't sold out despite being a great seller and a 600 piece run.
angusW wrote:I've e-mailed the Tuf-Glide company before asking them if Tug-Glide is safe for food and if not do they have a product that is. The response was no and no. The second "no" because to sell something that is food grade they then would have to do a major upgrade to their facilities in order to pass food safety protocols.
Dang. Do you know if there are any dry lubricants/protection that are food safe?

baffle them with BS
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

So far I'm loving the M4 steel. Like most carbon/tool steels, it sharpens easily, holds an incredibly fine edge and can hold an edge for a long while. 95% of my sharpening experience was with S30V and I can say that it's a little easier to sharpen, at least it was easier to create a burr. It also has far surpassed S30V in terms of sharpness. I wish more folders used tool steels. They require a little more maintenance but IMO, they're worth it unless you live next to or on a body of water.

baffle them with BS

Post by 1623 »

I've been thinking about ordering an M4 Manix myself.

The size is a bit larger than what I like to carry, but I can't ignore my intrigue with everything that surrounds this line.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.