color coated Mule????

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Color coated mule?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 28

jtoler_9

color coated Mule????

Post by jtoler_9 »

Hey folks. I was taking a few photos of my first mule knife today. I thought to myself, man that photo would be nice if the mule was black coated. Anyone up for a coated mule? Doesn't have to be black, I wouldn't mind seeing a tan or olive drab either. What do you think?

And YES I realize you can do it yourself. But I don't want to. :)
sal

Post by sal »

What about the steel? A particular steel? Any steel?

thoughts?

sal
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Hey Sal,
Sincerely, thanks for the reply. I have my heart set on a 3V for my next custom. Any chance we'll see a 3V mule?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If it's going to be coated, I'd vote for some sort of tool steel that rusts easily, otherwise the coating would just be cosmetic and wouldn't particularly fit in with the spirit of the Mule program.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I agree with Jabba. I would be very happy with a Satin 3V mule. And I agree that a coated tool steel would be a much better use for the coating. If the re-heat treating of the MT12 goes well, I would be inclined to pick up 2 of them, especially if they are coated. I recently traded my MT12 at SFO for 2 MT11.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's always the option of just sending your Mule out to one of the many places that do Gun-Kote, Cerakote, etc finishes. That way you get the steel you want and the color you want.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

sal wrote:What about the steel? A particular steel? Any steel?

thoughts?

sal
CTS-20CP or Elmax in black or tan sounds good!
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

I had considered getting a MT12 and having it coated in sniper grey.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

jabba359 wrote:If it's going to be coated, I'd vote for some sort of tool steel that rusts easily, otherwise the coating would just be cosmetic and wouldn't particularly fit in with the spirit of the Mule program.
Great point. That way it would look bad-***, (IMHO, black blades always do) and still give us the opportunity to have a 'protected' tool or HC steel to try out.
angusW

Post by angusW »

How about a few selections of coatings that we could choose from. Or maybe split the production into three colour lots. I think a lot of people are looking forward to Elmax.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No coatings for me please.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in a coated mule. I've seen a few other successful coated blanks that come in multiple colors. Izula? Looks like I need to find a good place to send my next mule to be coated. Can I suggest a new size knife blank? Or is this the wrong crowd? Either way Spyderco will get my biz on mules, I'm hooked.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I agree Jtoler, I thought people would be more eager for it, hmm :confused:
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nothing that I would be interested in unless it were specifically because the steel was especially prone to rusting. And then the odds are it probably wouldn't be used as a knife steel...at least not by Spyderco.
On the hunt for...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Nothing that I would be interested in unless it were specifically because the steel was especially prone to rusting. And then the odds are it probably wouldn't be used as a knife steel...at least not by Spyderco.
I hear ya. However I will say I dig the look of the black coated para 2 which is S30v. Which I believe is stainless. I also own the black coated moran in VG-10, also stainless. I'll take my place in the minority with the folks that love coated blades.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

To me, the whole concept of the mule team is to try new steels at the lowest possible price in a repeatable, comparable vehicle. Part of the whole concept is finding out just how stainless, or not the steels are just as they are.

It's not really about getting cheaper custom knives as it was initially designed. Whether it evolves into that is entirely Sal's business. I wouldn't complain, or expect anybody to care if I did but coated mules aren't really in the spirit of the program .

As I said it's up to Sal what he does with his program. He came up with it and owns it.

I'm not big on coatings anyway. Rust has never been a problem for me. I also enjoy the look of different steels and I learn them faster when not coated.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I agree. I would leave coating to each owner. I rather have the Mules continue to come un-coated.

Will
Senate

Post by Senate »

i answered no. coating is usually applied to protect from patina/rust and/or give a low profile appearance, which are neither usefull in the Mule team project.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jtoler_9 wrote:I hear ya. However I will say I dig the look of the black coated para 2 which is S30v. Which I believe is stainless. I also own the black coated moran in VG-10, also stainless. I'll take my place in the minority with the folks that love coated blades.
In this case, it's not that I don't like coated blades (which I don't really) but because like others have said, that really isn't the point of the Mule project.

If there is enough demand for a coated fb then yeah for sure Spyderco should do one to satisfy the demand, but I think that for the Mule project, unless the steel requires a coating to help with corrosion then I don't think that it is something I would be interested in.

I think too that the cost would be prohibitive. The Mules are priced far far lower than they would be as a production knife I am sure. So to do a run that is outside of the normal Mule project, and then coat it, the cost might make a lot of people stay away.
On the hunt for...