now this native rocks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

BAL wrote:For sure, I can convince myself that I will pass up on a particular model, only to have a picture or two pop and then here I am thinking about it again. It's a sickness.
I'm so excited about the Native5 !!! And all of the praise that it has received on this forum alone is enough to make me think that this N5 is Spyderco's BIG hit of 2011. I will have mine soon. Brand new and ready to rock. I used to agree with you guys when you said becoming addicted to Spydercos was a sickness. But it's more like an full blown epidemic. And I love it. :spyder:
v8r

Post by v8r »

Evil D wrote:Nonsense...i prefer the immature adolescent mall ninja swedge LOL
Me too!

I have heard people say that it has heft to it, in my opinion it's pretty light. Then again I usually have a C95 , Chinook II , or TI Military in my pocket.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

v8r wrote:Me too!

I have heard people say that it has heft to it, in my opinion it's pretty light. Then again I usually have a C95 , Chinook II , or TI Military in my pocket.
Really does depend on what you're use to, but the Native V "feels" heavy for its size. To me, it feels heavier than my CF Stretch, even though it's a few grams lighter. It also feels quite a bit heavier than my CF Caly 3, and I'd swear it weighed at least twice as much as a Chaparral and the Forum Native I've been carrying lately. I don't mind the sensation of compact mass, in fact it adds to the perception of strength, but I do notice it.

Build quality is definitely impressive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

The Deacon wrote:Really does depend on what you're use to, but the Native V "feels" heavy for its size. To me, it feels heavier than my CF Stretch, even though it's a few grams lighter. It also feels quite a bit heavier than my CF Caly 3, and I'd swear it weighed at least twice as much as a Chaparral and the Forum Native I've been carrying lately. I don't mind the sensation of compact mass, in fact it adds to the perception of strength, but I do notice it.

Build quality is definitely impressive.
I like the phrase "compact mass". I am definitely a fan of compact mass and the feeling/perception of strength and solidity in my EDC knife. I prefer a beefy knife over a thin streamlined knife any day. I like the Chaparral but it's thin blade and feather weight design turns me off some. The Native5 looks like a mini juggernaut. Awesome !!!
raven

Post by raven »

You know the category of "Little Big Knife"? Well, I'd categorize the the Native V as a "Medium Huge Knife" :D . This Native is "BUILT"!!!

I have a few of the larger spydies in my collection, but the Native V is as beefy as they come. I have the early Manix 83mm and everyone knows what a rock solid design it is. IMO, this is the same ...like mentioned, just in a compact version and an improved lock ;) . Sal and Crew.... HOME RUN with this little beauty :cool: !!! Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Doubleshadow

Post by Doubleshadow »

Ner ner ner ner ner, I've got one over here in the UK, Loverly knife, good ergonomics, and satisfying lock up on deployment.
[CENTER]Walk softly and cary an armoured tank division
or
why not take a knife to gunfight, you might miss and run out of bullets[/CENTER]
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

The Deacon wrote:I'm impressed enough by mine that I'm already thinking about what kind of wood to have someone replace the G-10 scales with.
Funny you should say that, Deacon - I've had some Redwood Burl in hand since before I had the knife ... with exactly that plan in mind ... ;)

Might have to wait, though ... blowin' the budget a bit these days ...

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
2cha

Post by 2cha »

raven wrote:You know the category of "Little Big Knife"? Well, I'd categorize the the Native V as a "Medium Huge Knife" :D . This Native is "BUILT"!!!

-raven-
Yes, that about sums it up. Also, at least mine would pass scrutiny by NYPD, for those who travel to NYC. Blade length ideal and doesn't want to deploy by inertia.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The Native 5 looks and feels like a "Baby Manix" to me...

As a somewhat dissenting vote, my only disappointment with the model is that my example has a short blade -- shortest of any Native model or example that I own. I really would rather have a longer blade.

Here's a couple of photos of the N5 with its predecessors...

Here's a photo with one of its cousins ( :spyder: Blackhawk, C24GPS)...
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was thinking it was like a smaller than mini original manix.

I have never seen either of the original Manix. Is there any chance we could get a size comparison between the Native 5, Mini Manix, and maybe a Manix 2?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Donut wrote:I was thinking it was like a smaller than mini original manix.

I have never seen either of the original Manix. Is there any chance we could get a size comparison between the Native 5, Mini Manix, and maybe a Manix 2?
Here's some more photos. How do these do?

** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thank you! I didn't see the Manix/Mini Manix/Native 5 picture the first time. It really is a very small version of the manix.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I have noticed that the blade on the Native5 has more of a taper than say the Sage 3 has. Both blades are technically 1/8" thick but the Sage 3's blade stays thick almost all the way to the point. The Native5's blade tapers . Does this taper make the Native5's blade feel weak or flimsy at all ?
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

Wolverine666 wrote:I have noticed that the blade on the Native5 has more of a taper than say the Sage 3 has. Both blades are technically 1/8" thick but the Sage 3's blade stays thick almost all the way to the point. The Native5's blade tapers . Does this taper make the Native5's blade feel weak or flimsy at all ?
no
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Donut wrote:Thank you! I didn't see the Manix/Mini Manix/Native 5 picture the first time. It really is a very small version of the manix.
Yeah, sorry, I added the first photo, in my post #29, after you posted. After I read your comment, I was like, "Duh! You've got the knives here for what you're talking about, Chris." and added it into the first post. I'm glad the photos worked for you!
Wolverine666 wrote:I have noticed that the blade on the Native5 has more of a taper than say the Sage 3 has. Both blades are technically 1/8" thick but the Sage 3's blade stays thick almost all the way to the point. The Native5's blade tapers . Does this taper make the Native5's blade feel weak or flimsy at all ?
rosconey wrote:no
I concur with rosconey, the blade doesn't feel weak at all. I think it is the swedge along the spine (and probably the angle of the knife in my photos) that helps it appear so slim. In fact, it has a pretty tall edge bevel which makes me think that the FFG is thick on the Native 5 (thicker than say observed on the Caly 3 or Native 4 models).
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Chris_H wrote:The Native 5 looks and feels like a "Baby Manix" to me...

As a somewhat dissenting vote, my only disappointment with the model is that my example has a short blade -- shortest of any Native model or example that I own. I really would rather have a longer blade.
I went and held one today...and it is really solid and has very 'Manix' feel to it. And I really liked that.

And like you mentioned it has a shorter edge than any Native...I carry my Native 4 a lot, and even though it is on;y 2mm in difference it seems noticeable. And that is VERY disappointing especially given the already excessively short edge and the fact that going longer would be very easy with this knife. In fact it has made the Native only a maybe purchase for me.

After having such high hopes for this one....it really is disappointing.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Man, I wish CS had had these in stock when I placed an order last week. I can't wait to get one of these, especially after reading everyone's comments about it! I might have to order one tonight.
:bug-red-white
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

You guys are making me want one more and more. But, is there a chance we will be seeing sprint runs of these, or at least different g10 colors or maybe dlc coatings? Because if thats the case I may just wait.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Hard to say...has there ever even been a Native sprint? (is the pink one a sprint?)
I know that about 5-6 years ago there was talk of an s125v native but that never happened.
So it could be that we will see sprints of the new one...but I would say at this point, no one knows for sure, and probably if there are, it will be a few years away.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Hard to say...has there ever even been a Native sprint? (is the pink one a sprint?)
I know that about 5-6 years ago there was talk of an s125v native but that never happened.
So it could be that we will see sprints of the new one...but I would say at this point, no one knows for sure, and probably if there are, it will be a few years away.
Yes, a black bladed PE S30V FRN Native. There were also the G-10 440V Natives with the shell inlays that, while not called a Sprint Run, were serially numbered and limited to 500 each of PE and CE.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!