Super Size Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Onionman

Super Size Spyderco?

Post by Onionman »

As I continue to admire and appreciate spyderco designs, I've noticed that the collaboration spydercos tend to be on the small to medium size range. This is fine for some models, but I really wish they would super size some models. I'm not talking about going from a Caly 3 to a Caly 3.5. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Caly 5.5! My friend and I always joke that if Cold Steel were to get their hands on any of these Spyderco designs, they would make it into a monstrosity, like the XXL Voyager (the only 6" blade folding knife from a reputable manufacturer that I'm aware of).

Which designs would you like to see supersized? My vote would be for the Khukuri, as I think a 5 or 6 inch blade would make this a real useful tool. What do you guys think?
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd be in for a larger, beefy knife. If it was just a longer slicer, I would not be attracted.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd like to see that for sure. C95 XL!!!
On the hunt for...
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Some time ago Sal inquired about interest in a possible very large folder. Could be something is already in the works... alongside the dozens or hundreds of other projects they are always working on. :p
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Personally, I love my LBK's(Little Big Knives). The largest folders I own are a Millie and Catcherman and Police. For me, I think that is the biggest I could go when needing a folder. If I needed something larger in a folder, it might just make sense to go to a fixed blade.

Now keep a few things in mind... I have lived in NYC my entire life so I dont tend to need a large folding knife in my everyday tasks. A smaller sized knife can preform just about 99% of my tasks. Take someone from the country and they might have different tasks than I.

I believe Spyderco is working on a Ed Schempp XL Persian. A forum member recently saw one at a recent USN Gathering so you know its in the works.
This is a post bladeshow quote from Mr. Schempp
Ed Schempp wrote: The big knives appealed to the folks that like em big. The Szabo, the XL Manix, The XL Persian, and a nice piece from a German maker(?).
I would say there is some demand for a larger, beefer, monster of a knife but thats why Cold Steel does what Cold Steel does, and Spyderco does what Spyderco does.
Come Join Us Click Here
JD Spydo

Why not the BISON?

Post by JD Spydo »

A few years back ( 2004 to be exact) I was at the Spirit of Steel Knife Show in Dallas TX. I got to meet the Glessers ( Sal & Eric) and they showed me some prototypes that I was impressed with.

One of them was a large folder that they called the "Bison". It was one of the biggest but yet nicest looking folders I had ever seen. If Spyderco comes out with a big folder I hope they bring out the BISON :spyder:

It was a beast of a folder I do remember that. I don't remember the blade steel or the other specifics but I do remember that I liked it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I wonder if a design beefier than the Para2/Manix2/Superleaf does not invite disastrous prying. Surely, wiggling left-right (laterally) increases the force on the pivot something like exponentially as blade length increases. At some point this wiggling must call for a full-tang fixed blade, no?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Anything over 4.75" closed won't fit in my back pocket, so I'd pass.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think they tend to market safe knives. They're not in the business of making zombie killer knives, and i think if they did it would be in the form of fixed blades. As the saying goes, they want to be the knife you carry, not the one that sits in a box at home. Not many people can legally carry huge folders so it wouldn't be a very wise business choice. Even the Tuff is going to be on the average size range, no bigger/longer than a Police.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

How about a Military short sword? Back-carry sheath included!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love Military design, but it feels too big for me. I am not sure in how many states you can carry anything with blade over 4" long. I think that market for this size of blades will be very limited, which means very high price or losses for Spyderco, instead of profit.
I certainly will buy XL Persian, if it comes with bolsters and hollow grind, but it doesn't look like is going to happen :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Here is the thread Sal started last year on the subject as well as the resulting poll.

Discussion Thread

Poll
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

enduraguy wrote:How about a Military short sword? Back-carry sheath included!
Now that's what I'm talking about!

While I understand the practical issues that have been posed, my intent was to think BIG for the sake of thinking big. Wouldn't you like to see a Super superleaf! I would love to get a look at the Person XL or the Bison! The sheer WOW factor of a great looking large folding blade would be enough for me to buy one!

Also, I'm sure that if there was enough interest in an extra large folder, that Spyderco would build a high quality one. I have no doubt that they could put together a design better than the other large, reliable folders currently on the market.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would love a folder than makes my c95 look like a wee delica.
On the hunt for...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Hmmm...a supersized Khukri might be interesting since the authentic Khukris I've seen are all quite large to begin with, but they were all fixed blades. Really like the negative blade angle.

A beefier Barong would be of GREAT interest.

A longer PPT would be fantastic.

Definitely a longer C95, or perhaps even a longer Tuff.
BAL

Post by BAL »

How bout a Kiwi 6.5, or a Civilian 10.2, or a bug 1.75.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

A huge Civilian, while totally impractical, would be so terrifying I'd probably have to buy one.
Alas, I think the Szabo folder is as close as we'll get to something that frivolous.

The Bison or XL Manix, I think, would be great working folders.
—Daniel Jackson

Post by 224477 »

Depending of the particular design, but in general, yes, I prefer them BIG :)
Police 3 is one of my top 3 favourite designs.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

cosmo7809 wrote:Personally, I love my LBK's(Little Big Knives). The largest folders I own are a Millie and Catcherman and Police. For me, I think that is the biggest I could go when needing a folder. If I needed something larger in a folder, it might just make sense to go to a fixed blade.

Now keep a few things in mind... I have lived in NYC my entire life so I dont tend to need a large folding knife in my everyday tasks. A smaller sized knife can preform just about 99% of my tasks. Take someone from the country and they might have different tasks than I.

I believe Spyderco is working on a Ed Schempp XL Persian. A forum member recently saw one at a recent USN Gathering so you know its in the works.
This is a post bladeshow quote from Mr. Schempp

I would say there is some demand for a larger, beefer, monster of a knife but thats why Cold Steel does what Cold Steel does, and Spyderco does what Spyderco does.
Id have to agree. The military is plenty big, even too big for some. Spyderco makes sensible, user knives. They are not cold steel, who just makes whatever **** well they please because its cool. If you need something bigger then a military, you should be using a fixed blade.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
R@y

Post by R@y »

The upcoming Szabo folder should be big enough for many. It was at the Amsterdam Meet this year and its massive, check Wouters review.
Also the XL Manix is impressive, I've handled a proto but man, its heavy.

Another option could be the new & cheaper G10 Espada XXXXXL, (7 inch blade?)