Tenacious Clip Screws Stripped

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Seki-City

Tenacious Clip Screws Stripped

Post by Seki-City »

Anyone been experiencing trouble with the clip screws on the Tenacious? Got my new Tenacious in the mail yesterday, but the clip was in the tip down position from the factory. Wanted to change it, so I got out my 1.5mm hex bit and proceeded to remove the screws.....stripped all three of them! Am I using the wrong size bit, or is the metal soft as baby crap on these screws? It's as if the screws were torqued in there to survive Armageddon. Any ideas on how to remove the stripped screws and obtain replacements?
I never had a minute's trouble on my Centofante 3 or Delica 4. I would like to buy a Persistence sometime soon, but I'm becoming wary of the soft metallurgy of hardware on these Chinese models.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Yep. I stripped one. Used a Dremel to cut a slot and used a regular screw driver. Apparently common with the Tenacious.
Seki-City

Post by Seki-City »

Now that's a good idea. Hopefully I'll be able to apply enough torque with a flat screwdriver to work them loose. Spyderco really should send me some replacement screws, as the problem seems to be fairly common. I wonder if the screws from a Delica will work? They seem to be made of a good grade of steel.

Thanks for the help racer88!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Try heating it a bit with a hair-dryer to help loosen any loc-tite sort of stuff that may be keeping the screws in there. Also, try contacting Spyderco customer service and let them know that the screws got destroyed when you tried to change the clip. They just might get some new ones out to you.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
angusW

Post by angusW »

I did the same thing as racer88 with my Tenacious. Also got a soldering iron to heat it up to help loosen up the Loctite.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Seki-City

Post by Seki-City »

racer88......the "Dremel Solution" worked perfectly, Great Idea by the way! I called Spyderco to see if they would send me some replacement screws. I also told them I was planning on buying a Persistence soon......They're sending me two sets of screws for free, and they didn't hesitate or second question me either.....Fantastic customer service. Next time I'll first try using a hairdryer or soldering iron to loosen the black loctite, as recommended by Jabba359 and AngusW. Thanks for the help gentlemen!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Seki-City, I am afraid that you have been bitten. I see many more knives for you in the future. The Tenacious is probably the best value out there when comparing money to quality. I have three. When you order a persistence, you might look at the Resilience as well. It is a beast, pure and simple.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Same issue with my Tenacious and Persistance, my understanding is this is common on the Chinese made spydies. I used small locking pliers and was able to clamp them on the head of the screw and remove them. Did scratch up the clip but not too concerned as these are beater knives. Did not find any loctite on them at all. My issue was more related to the srew head being stripped not the threads.

Aside from that have had no issues with them through some fairly heavy use.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

BAL wrote:Welcome Seki-City, I am afraid that you have been bitten. I see many more knives for you in the future. The Tenacious is probably the best value out there when comparing money to quality. I have three. When you order a persistence, you might look at the Resilience as well. It is a beast, pure and simple.
You got that right! What a knife the Tenacious!

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
FlaMtnBkr

Post by FlaMtnBkr »

I really doubt a hair dryer gets hot enough and would use the soldering iron to break down the loc tite, if you have one. There are also tools, sometimes called an easy out, that you drill a small hole in the striped head and then put the easy out in the hole. They are reverse threaded and as you back out the screw, the tool screws into the screw giving it a better grip and allowing it to be backed out. They have worked great for me, even the small screws on knife clips. I would also make sure you are using the right bit for the screw. The Tenacious is supposed to look like a Torx yet be a hex, at least it use to and may have changed.
VANCO

Post by VANCO »

I had the same bad Xperience with my Persistence , from FK production.
But now, with my new IK production Persistence, screws heads are Torx n°6 and more stronger.
The Black Loctite is less a matter with thoses new screws.
Are screws Torx on the latest Tenacious production too ?
-F1

Post by -F1 »

The Tenacious scale screws take 1.5 mm hex but the clip screws are 1/16" hex. It's very slightly larger (1/16" = 1.5875 mm). You can probably obtain replacement clip screws from Spyderco if you like.
Motard Matt

Post by Motard Matt »

Same problem here, stripped a screw head :( Just emailed customer service, since it's a brand new knife, hopefully they hook me up and do me right!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums Matt. Best luck with the knife.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

really common problem with the chinese spydercos. I know how to fix it! Throw it away and buy a para 2! JUST KIDDING! I love the tenacious, it was the first one I ever owned so its got a special place in my heart. I stripped my screws out same as you, and I believe I posted about it as well ;-). That knife was made into a beater long ago, and I have since lost track of it somewhere in my garage....
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Wow! This seems to be a common problem. I just received my first tenacious yesterday and yeap stripped all three screws on my clip while trying to switch to tip up carry. I effed up the clip and G-10 while trying to forcefully take them out after and now I have a lot of scratches on the clip and handle of my brand new knife. I expected more from spyderco. It's a great little knife but c'mon, use better screws and don't have superman tighten it down.

The resillience I got uses torx screws and did not strip, no idea why they used hex screws on the tenacious.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's probably the Loctite rather than a Kryptonian tech.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I didn't see any loctite on any of the screws on the tenacious nor on the resillience.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

Just another data point here.

I started to strip out my Tenacious screws while trying to convert the clip to tip up carry. Rather than bugger them totally, I abandoned the effort and left it tip down.

I should try to obtain some replacement screws from Spyderco. I hate to ask, but would really prefer to have it tip up.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Fixed my problem, took a dremel and cut a slot on the screw heads to make a flat screwdriver fit. It's not pretty but it works, I don't need to spend another $11 for a new clip and screws. It's going to be a beater anyway.