How to throw a knife combat style

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
extremethrower

How to throw a knife combat style

Post by extremethrower »

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Nice video, my sound isnt working though. Did he mention the knife brand or where to get either of those styles? I'd love me some new throwers.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used to throw all sorts of stuff that way when i was a kid. I was pretty good with hatchets.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

"This is a kill throw..."

:D

Nice vid!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

spyderHS08 wrote:Nice video, my sound isnt working though. Did he mention the knife brand or where to get either of those styles? I'd love me some new throwers.
He mentioned Ellard (?) and Colt.
On the hunt for...
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

For the life of me I can think of no reason to train to throw a knife for "combat." If someone has that much time on their hands and just likes doing it for fun, , ,then knock yourself out. However, if someone is training like this because they see it as a viable means of self defense, then I would politely say they are not using their training time wisely.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be a once in a lifetime hit if you did manage to stick it into an attacker. Chances are better that it would hit them and bounce off, make them more angry and give them a weapon to use on you.

Besides everyone knows if you wanna throw stuff, throw ninja stars ;)
~David
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

SQSAR wrote:For the life of me I can think of no reason to train to throw a knife for "combat." If someone has that much time on their hands and just likes doing it for fun, , ,then knock yourself out. However, if someone is training like this because they see it as a viable means of self defense, then I would politely say they are not using their training time wisely.
I think the point is to have two knives, and even if it hits handle first, a knife handle would still hurt. I was reading something on that... if I'm ever rich enough for two spydies... :rolleyes:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This would make a great contribution to the off-topic section.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:This really should be off topic. It's not a Spyderco thread.
I was gonna tell 'em that but this being a kinder, gentler forum I done hesitated. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know why but this thread reminded me of this

IF YOU CAN DODGE A WRENCH, YOU CAN DODGE A BALL!
~David
Waco

Post by Waco »

Evil D wrote:I used to throw all sorts of stuff that way when i was a kid. I was pretty good with hatchets.
My youngest son is pretty good with hatchets. Most people have to stand in just the right spot and focus on consistent throwing to get one to stick. He just walks up and throws from whatever angle and distance he happens to standing at and can usually stick 4 or 5 out of 5.

Is anyone in the military taught to throw knives? It looks cool in the movies, but it sounds like a big gamble with a moving target. Unless you hit a vital organ, your enemy is still a threat and now he has your knife.
extremethrower

Post by extremethrower »

I was taught by my father who is a ex marine " Korean conflict" I used to throw alot as a kid and started back up last summer. Reminds me of him and the good times I had as a kid. 43 now. Plus the girl like to throw to.

If this were a self defense situation I wouldnt throw my only knife away risking missing or giving them my weapon. If I had two knifes then it would be a differnt story. And the time of year, if someone is wearing a big/heavy coat harder to penetrate several other factors as well.

I throw at 3/4 inch plywood and sometime i pentrate through it from just the tip to two inches which I'm sure would cause serious damage if not death to a person depending on placement.

I may get a rubber dummy and put a coat on it to test my pentration something like deadliest warrior.

I was also thinking of going out and hunting deer this way but need to train more and up the distance to 23-30 feet. Plus I need to look into laws for PA.

My self defense
1. I carry a Ruger P89
2. I carry 2 Colt CT18's
3. Use to ring fight trained in shotokan, muay thai, boxing,
4. Dont let myself get into situations where the above is needed.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I hope you are joking about hunting deer with a knife, If you aren't please don't . Nothing wrong with hunting( I hunt myself) but I cannot stand to see a wounded animal. I suggest a centerfire rifle or a bow if you like a primitive weapon.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I was gonna tell 'em that but this being a kinder, gentler forum I done hesitated. :D
Fixed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

v8r wrote:I hope you are joking about hunting deer with a knife, If you aren't please don't . Nothing wrong with hunting( I hunt myself) but I cannot stand to see a wounded animal. I suggest a centerfire rifle or a bow if you like a primitive weapon.
v8r,

If you are suggesting my pipe wrench deer hunting is inhumane I'm at a loss of words.

We use very large wrenches.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:v8r,

If you are suggesting my pipe wrench deer hunting is inhumane I'm at a loss of words.

We use very large wrenches.
LOL. Besides wrenches don't wound, Blerv. :D
v8r

Post by v8r »

It's ok as long as it's a Snap On and not a Craftsman ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Waco

Post by Waco »

v8r wrote:I hope you are joking about hunting deer with a knife, If you aren't please don't . Nothing wrong with hunting( I hunt myself) but I cannot stand to see a wounded animal. I suggest a centerfire rifle or a bow if you like a primitive weapon.
Uh, if I was the deer, I'd vote for the knife. I'll take wounded over dead any day.
extremethrower

Post by extremethrower »

It was a thought... maybe a wrench would be a good idea:-)

Has anyone ever taken a whitetail with a throwing knife?

I have with a rifle and bow was thinking of the next level but def right about injuring it and not a clean kill.

I would have to up my game hugeeeeeeee.