Brad Southard collab petition!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chris_Himself

Brad Southard collab petition!

Post by Chris_Himself »

We have a thread on USN called "Sal, What Next?". Lately we've been on a 2 page rant about how we want to see a Brad Southard knife! I've been in contact with the guy before and he's very nice and we want to see a collaboration between you guys and one of his folders!

I'm a huge fan of his Tozer and Daws series of knives!
"Quality is not an accident. It's the result of focused intention, earnest effort, intelligent direction, and careful execution." - Front of the mid-year catalog
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd be all over a Southard collaboration!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Yes please, super stout Ti framelock with a sub 3.5 in blade would be great!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Wasn't there one on the books already? Maybe I'm going crazy... but I coulda sworn he had a prototype pic in the Amsterdam thread...

EDIT: If there isn't, and I am in fact just crazy... I completely agree, this should absolutely happen.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
buddy54ck

Post by buddy54ck »

Definately in, Would Definately Buy !!!
Charlie
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I handled the prototype at OKCA in April. If memory serves it's 3.5 to 3.75" blade length, somewhat slender and is a Carson style flipper that can also be easily opened with the Spydiehole. I had some fun as it seemed you barely had to touch the hilt coming through the top of the handle to have it flash open. Sal likes it, so hopefully he'll get good feedback and it'll be out next year.

ADD> It looks a bit like this one I found on Brad's website:
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Sequimite wrote:I handled the prototype at OKCA in April. If memory serves it's 3.5 to 3.75" blade length, somewhat slender and is a Carson style flipper that can also be easily opened with the Spydiehole. I had some fun as it seemed you barely had to touch the hilt coming through the top of the handle to have it flash open. Sal likes it, so hopefully he'll get good feedback and it'll be out next year.

ADD> It looks a bit like this one I found on Brad's website:
Hah! Not crazy, take that customer service lady from Sprint...
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I remember there was mention of a Southard flipper design a while back. It looked a lot like the picture posted above. I would definitely pick one up if there was a collab.

Though I'd prefer a low-viz wire clip. :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I didn't read the other posts but he's already got the Spydie hole....... and the elongated Stretch look, and the frame lock,........ what's the hold up? >>>> BRING IT ON! :D :D Thank you SPYDERCO :D :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I am a huge fan of Brad & his work. I think he is very skilled & talented at his craft. That said, I'm not sure I would be on board if it had the flipper function. The flipper would just add legal grey-area to an already complex & sensitive issue that is still not clearly defined (Is it considered an auto, is it not? Can it be flicked open, etc, etc) as well as give it one more reason for it to be confiscated.

I know plenty of other knives have it, but to me, Spyderco doesn't need to do it "just because other knives do it". I'm already less than thrilled that Spyderco has started to venture into the thumb-stud territory. They don't need gimmicky things like thumb-studs, waves, and flippers. The round hole opener is the ultimate opener & it should stay that way.

Just my 2¢
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Chris_Himself wrote:We have a thread on USN called "Sal, What Next?". Lately we've been on a 2 page rant about how we want to see a Brad Southard knife! I've been in contact with the guy before and he's very nice and we want to see a collaboration between you guys and one of his folders!

I'm a huge fan of his Tozer and Daws series of knives!
Thank you Chris Himself! I emailed Brad this morning telling him what an honor it would be to have one of his knives. And I hope he can make knives as he is called, and share them with Spyderco, and be wealthy, happy, and healthy.....and bring joy into his, and other's lives.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Proto...
Chris_Himself

Post by Chris_Himself »

Heres the thing though, a Spyderco collaboration knife tends to cost anywhere between 120 and 200 dollars right? With the exception of the Fluted ti millie, knifes don't really cost that much from Spyderco. But see at the 300-400 dollar mark, you can already buy one of Brad's custom works! We don't have to wait!

I just have to get rid of some of my Emersons and I'll see if he has anything he wants to get off his hands haha
"Quality is not an accident. It's the result of focused intention, earnest effort, intelligent direction, and careful execution." - Front of the mid-year catalog
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

What? Brad must already be part of the family. His attention to detail and making it right, for a greater good, speaks loudly. :)
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

I could be interested, just not a flipper.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I would agree, no flipper.
Jesting Devil

Post by Jesting Devil »

I for one like the flipper! The spydie hole is still there and completely usable so the flipper can just as easily be ignored if you don't like it. Its a part of what makes his knife designs what they are and I for one would love the opportunity to own one at spyderco production prices :)

As a side note, no one seems to mind the delica and endura with an emerson wave addition do they? I totally agree on no thumbstuds on :spyder: but a flipper as well as the standard hole just adds options :D
TCRooster

Post by TCRooster »

I have an Atlantic and Pacific Salts that Brad reground. I would buy a collab in a heartbeat, flipper or not.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1 on the flipper
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

'Felt' the proto in Amsterdam, really loved the small details in the knife like the little piece of inserted G10 on the Ti-side.
I had an instant feeling of OK seeing and feeling the knife in its form for the first time. Like the dull Ti, just love the natural colors and the sometimes a little rude and natural finish. In that appearance with a 'uncommon' bladesteel I am in. Brad is able to combine form and function in perfect harmony without 'overcompleting' the design. I see it a zen-way, sorry, can't explain... :o
Not a fan of flippers, would love to see a framelock (IMHO).

<:{{{{{>
Tom