G10 Mule - Minimum Epoxy Bond Area

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
cncyana

G10 Mule - Minimum Epoxy Bond Area

Post by cncyana »

Some Mule handles have rivets very close to the border/edge of the handle, thus making the G10 or Micarta material very thin at that spot - outboard of the pin.

Is there a rule of thumb on how close you can get to the edge without making the handle material too skinny at that spot?

I want to avoid disbonding of the G10 from the metal or cracking of the G10 at that skinny spot.

Thanks for your input.

Romans 3: So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

G-10 and Micarta are inherently rigid materials so I wouldn't be too worried about de-bonding. However, I might be misinterpreting your question a bit, , , so a photo might be helpful to see what exactly you are talking about.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

ive used 2 of the larger pin holes in mine which are fairly centered in the handle and not close to the edge. if your wanting to use the outer holes to pin your scales to I dont think you would have any issues with g10 because its such a dense and solid material. doing that with wood scales might be a different story.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
cncyana

Post by cncyana »

thanks again guys for answering my questions!