Are you freaking kidding me???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

Are you freaking kidding me???

Post by tonydahose »

Cliffnotes:
Grizzlies come into guy's back yard where his kids are playing.
Dad shoots & kills one of them and the others run away.
Dad reports it to the state's fish and game, they leave it alone.
Feds jump in and charges the guy with killing an endangered species...seriously..wtf? :mad:

Link
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Donut

Post by Donut »

*edited* I am removing a stupid comment.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Armalite Native

Post by Armalite Native »

Perhaps if he lives in a Grizzly area the houses normal defences should have been better. 8 foot walls - electric fencing - whatever.

The Grizzly is an endangered species. Sure defend your kids - but a couple of rifle rounds in the air or a leg shot would probably have scared them off. A kill shot? Really?

If everyone used the excuse of "we had to kill this animal because its a threat" we would have only cows pigs left.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

a leg shot? would you want a NOW PISSED OFF Gizzly in your yard with your kids in it? i say if the state's authorities left it alone, the feds should have kept their nose's out of it as well.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

tonydahose wrote:a leg shot? would you want a NOW PISSED OFF Gizzly in your yard with your kids in it? i say if the state's authorities left it alone, the feds should have kept their nose's out of it as well.
I agree... If there is a bear within a threatening range, and I have a rifle, I want to drop it not anger it. I have heard stories about how much ground a bear can cover in fractions of a second. If you can only get one shot off, aim to kill.
Waco

Post by Waco »

If I saw a bear near my kids, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it, endangered or not.
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

Same here. If I thought for half a second that my kids were in life threatning danger, by a bear or anything, the threat is getting a Federal Hydrashock period. Better to be tryed by twelve, than one of my family members carried by six.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Were the kids actually outside when the bears showed up? If they were and he felt it was necessary to kill the animal to protect them and himself then I say he did the right thing. If they just showed up in the backyard "where the kids frequently play" and he walked outside and shot it then I can see why he is in some trouble.
Mad

Post by Mad »

Armalite Native wrote:Perhaps if he lives in a Grizzly area the houses normal defences should have been better. 8 foot walls - electric fencing - whatever.

The Grizzly is an endangered species. Sure defend your kids - but a couple of rifle rounds in the air or a leg shot would probably have scared them off. A kill shot? Really?

If everyone used the excuse of "we had to kill this animal because its a threat" we would have only cows pigs left.
Do you know how hard it is to kill a bear... People have pumped 6 or 7 rounds into bears and it doesn't slow them down much.. You shoot that thing in the leg, especially a grizzly, it will kill you. Or your kids. Guy did what he had to do. If it was in the dudes backyard it obviously wasn't too freaked..
Mad

Post by Mad »

Freediver wrote:Were the kids actually outside when the bears showed up? If they were and he felt it was necessary to kill the animal to protect them and himself then I say he did the right thing. If they just showed up in the backyard "where the kids frequently play" and he walked outside and shot it then I can see why he is in some trouble.
Kids were outside playing basketball. He was in the shower when they started screaming and the dog went nuts.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

In my state there are laws protecting animals.... HAD A BUNCH Of FERRAL DOGS RUNNING IN PACKS though my property,,,they were nasty and attacked my chained up Akita who was trying to protect my kid by barking and growling but couldn't reach the child cause he was on a short lead, they turned on my dog, all six of them....and tore his face apart...(after that we called him scarface)...I drew my revolver in defense and rapidly shot three of the dogs dead with head shots, as they circled my 5 year old, and were barring their teeth, my 5 year old son was in panic state...three dogs ran away...The authorities came down to investigate...they asked if I had a permit for my gun, when I produce my Law Enforcement ID, THEY ASKED IF i WAS CARRYING THE WEAPON on my person, which I answered yes to. They said If I had run back into the house and got a rifle or handgun and blew the dogs away I would have been charged with a crime...but the fact that I had the guns on my person and reacted to the threat it was not premeditated and I was within my rights to shoot...Go figure...no charges were brought against me.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Perhaps if he lives in a Grizzly area the houses normal defences should have been better. 8 foot walls - electric fencing - whatever.

Wow! Are you writing satire or are you being serious?

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Mastiff wrote:Wow! Are you writing satire or are you being serious?

Joe
Maybe all they wanted to do was play basketball, slam dunk....and have some lunch....no reason to shoot them....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

common sense from govt officials should not be expected-

most are nothing more than idiots who couldn't make it in the real world-they promote according to how stupid you are,if your too dumb to answer a phone ,give them a minor management job-when its proved you cant handle that they move you into upper management- :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dont care if its the last grizzly alive, get between me and my kids and its going down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Mad wrote:Kids were outside playing basketball. He was in the shower when they started screaming and the dog went nuts.
Well it sounds like he was justified then. Hopefully this gets tossed out.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:Wow! Are you writing satire or are you being serious?

Joe
He's British.
Wikipedia wrote:The island of Great Britain, along with the rest of the archipelago known as the British Isles, has a largely temperate climate. It contains a relatively small fraction of the world's wildlife. The biota was severely diminished in the last Ice Age, and shortly (in geological terms) thereafter was separated from the continent by the English Channel's formation. Since then, man has hunted the most dangerous forms (the wolf,[Notes 1] the brown bear and the wild boar) to extinction, though domesticated forms such as the dog and the pig remain. The wild boar has subsequently been reintroduced as a meat animal.[2]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

rosconey wrote:common sense from govt officials should not be expected-

most are nothing more than idiots who couldn't make it in the real world-they promote according to how stupid you are,if your too dumb to answer a phone ,give them a minor management job-when its proved you cant handle that they move you into upper management- :p
Taking this a bit off topic and keeping in mind that I am a senior manager with the United States government, what are YOUR qualifications to make such a statement?

I not saying the government's actions are correct in this case; neither am I saying that Mr. Hill is being unjustly persecuted. I don't have all the facts. However, I will note the news posted yesterday clarifying that it was one of the cubs, not the mama grizzly, that was killed. :confused:
Waco

Post by Waco »

dsvirsky wrote:THowever, I will note the news posted yesterday clarifying that it was one of the cubs, not the mama grizzly, that was killed. :confused:
Why shoot a cub? Do you have a link to more detailed version of the story? I wasn't there and I have no experience with bears, but I hate to see a mother or its little ones get shot. A warning shot probably would have worked, but it didn't sound like he had much time to think about it.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Wait a second - grizzlies are endangered? I see shows on t.v. where guys up in Alaska hunt them. Why aren't the feds going up there?

Any person with an ounce of common sense would see that this shooting was justified. The guy didn't go out and select a bear to shoot. He was defending his property and CHILDREN from possible mutilation and death.

The feds should spend the same energy going after white collar criminals in this country.