is the janisong in any stage of prototype yet?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
VashHash

is the janisong in any stage of prototype yet?

Post by VashHash »

I know mike has said there's a lot going on at golden and he brought the rights and patents with him when he left blackhawk. Is there any news that can be given about this knife. I'm sure it has to be made in golden but is it still on the backburner. Did it ever get to R&D yet? Just curious to know if this is in the pipeline or just waiting outside of it. I think its a really intriguing design and I know spyderco can do it properly just wondering where its at in the process
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

It would be awesome if this was just around the corner....or at least being considered. I really want one...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm also really interested in where this selection is going. I'd like to see what Spyderco does with the design.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

I saw the Yojimbo 2 in the Spyderco catalog suppliment at MBC camp but nothing on the Janisong. That being the case I'm guessing it's on the cutting room floor or in the distant, uncertain future.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Dr Heelhook

Post by Dr Heelhook »

I'ts great that Spyderco are concentrating on producing new models, but at the same time, the Janisong model really is a bit too cool to be discontinued in the long run. I would really like to see it come back in a Spyderco version, sooner or later.

(sorry about necromancing this old thread, but it really can't be stressed enough.)
Just got: Green FFG Endura
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My thinking is that the design Mike J has is really only useful for right to produce and preliminary drawings, as I suspect everything would be redesigned to be more spyderlike, and reengineered to MBC spec or close to it, so while the original design is neat, it is probably largely going to be redone, and between his YoJimbo2, head of special products, going to shows and his ongoing training and work with Stay Safe Media, this could be anywhere from collecting dust to early design/pre-prototype phase. He will probably make mention should it get a bit closer but I wouldn't hold my breath, especially given the issues with bali-song stigma in regulatory circles.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Kamagrafun

~~~~~~~~~

Post by Kamagrafun »

you are best!