Help for those nasty little cuts !!! I am not a Doctor

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
buddy54ck

Help for those nasty little cuts !!! I am not a Doctor

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi All,
Have You ever gotten those nasty little cuts that just don want to stop bleeding? I Have many times, not anything real bad, but when a few of them needed stitches, I just broke out the superglue. First you have to clean the wound thoroughly, and then use pressure to stop the bleading. Next put a little bead of superglue on the top of the wound, when it is closed up.The superglue usually wicks into the wound and glues the flap together. If it doesn't, momentairly open the flap to let the glue in and then close and add pressure. For this, I usually use a piece of non stick mylar, or a bandaid.
It is advisable to use a pair of latex or Nitril gloves while doing this procedure, so as not to get Your fingers stuck together.
Be very careful, If you touch the wound before it dries, You will stick to it, bad news !!!
If You can't do this Yourself, having another person to help is best.
DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!Do this at Your own risk, but this has always worked for Me, and I have never had an infection because of it.
They even use superglue in the hospital.
This little trick has saved Me many times from going to the Hospital, which You all know takes forever to be seen, and is very expensive.
So always keep superglue handy, because You just never know, when Your going to get bit!
Good luck, and I hope this helps.
If You have any others questions, PM Me,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:
:D
Dr. Snubnose

Another option

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Never wanted to use superglue to stop my bleeding...don't care if hospitals use it....people die in Hospitals :eek: ....An Ancient Chinese Cure for those cuts that won't stop bleeding goes as follows: Next time you get a haircut, save your hair clippings and take them home....Next place the hair in a cast iron pot and melt it with heat it...on a stove top or grill...(Warning!!!) (Do not attempt to do this on your kitchen stove or your wife or mother will chase you with a butchers knife) Use the outdoor BBQ....Melt the hair (it will stink!~) to a plastic consistency, then let it cool....next take something you can crush the plastic hair down to powder....save the powder in a small jar....when you get cut...sprinkle some over the cut and the blood will coagulate on contact.....(Only will work with your own hair) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
buddy54ck

Thanks Doc

Post by buddy54ck »

Hey Doc,
Your right people do die in hospitals, that is why I try to avoid them !!!
I will take Your cure under advisement !
Thanks Bud,
Charlie
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I use liquid bandaid for minor cut and have a suture kit and dermabond for the nastier cuts, but unless you are trained to use the suture kit or dermabond stick to over the counter remedies. The superglue does work but it is not recommended. When I was a army paramedic we all had a tube of superglue in or bags, but that was a long time ago and the cheap liquid bandaid is better for yor skin.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have been trying out the superglue thing. So far so good.

I went to walmart and picked up liquid bandage, lock-tite superglue and some gorilla superglue in an orange package that says flexible or elastic on it.

The lock-tite brand cracks when it bends, so doesn't last a day. The gorilla one works great and stays on for two or three days. I haven't tried the liquid bandage yet.

What I try to do is seal it from the outside, not trying to get it all inside the cut. It should help it heal and stop it from getting into you.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

speaking of nasty cuts

i did this yesterday :mad:
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
buddy54ck

Ouch !!!

Post by buddy54ck »

tonydahose wrote:speaking of nasty cuts

i did this yesterday :mad:
Come on Tony, Out with it!
How the **** did that happen?
Hope Your doing O.K, Looks like it was nasty, with a possible concussion.
Story Please !
Feel Better,
Charlie
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

You should see the other guy ;)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

just a dumba$$ move. i am remodeling my garage/workshop and a large metal bracket needed to come off the wall. the screw was stripped so i went with brute force :rolleyes: , it didn't work out the way i wanted it to.

back on topic, i think i started a thread like this awhile back. you shouldnt use superglue because there is some stuff in it that isn't good for you. 3M makes the durabond but it is $300 for a tiny bottle. 3M also makes Vetbond for animals. i doubt there is much difference and the price is about $14 a bottle. i have actually used it on a cut once and it worked great. Don't forget to clean the wound very well or you will be trapping the dirt (read infection) in the cut.
My knives
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Tony you need to take care of your knees more carefully, too many cuts like that might affect your walking ability :p Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

that's my forehead Doc...well more like a fivehead but you get the idea.
My knives
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

This is what you need for major cuts.
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Neosynepherine works pretty well to stop minor bleeding. It's a pure alpha agonist and clamps that leaky vasculature down nicely.

Jeff
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tonydahose wrote:that's my forehead Doc...well more like a fivehead but you get the idea.
LoL...I know :p Doc :p

Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've always been partial to butterfly bandaids. Superglue is a little too permanent... I'm a fan of letting the wound air out. So I use butterfly bandaids, and gauze, and then eventually to only butterfly when the cut closes, and then once the scab's nicely formed, I take off the butterfly bandaids. Never needed stitches because of this.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Newskin is the way to go, and it actually has natural ingredients. I keep a small bottle in every backpack and vehicle. Superglue on the other hand is quite toxic.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

tonydahose wrote:just a dumba$$ move. i am remodeling my garage/workshop and a large metal bracket needed to come off the wall. the screw was stripped so i went with brute force :rolleyes: , it didn't work out the way i wanted it to.

back on topic, i think i started a thread like this awhile back. you shouldnt use superglue because there is some stuff in it that isn't good for you. 3M makes the durabond but it is $300 for a tiny bottle. 3M also makes Vetbond for animals. i doubt there is much difference and the price is about $14 a bottle. i have actually used it on a cut once and it worked great. Don't forget to clean the wound very well or you will be trapping the dirt (read infection) in the cut.
Or buy dermabond that's close to its "drug companies need more money" date--I don't think I paid any more than $20 a tube.

The problem with superglue, as I recall it from the last thread on the topic, is not toxicity, but that there is an exothermic reaction when SG cures so that large amounts of it can cause chemical burns.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Step 1: Clean/protect/bandage
Step 2: Something like http://www.quikclot.com/ or comparable for bleeders
Step 3: The doctor.

I've heard that products like Quickclot can save people from bleeding equivalent to gunshot wounds. There are other products on the market but the modern formula supposedly doesn't cause superficial burning.

For papercuts I use liquid bandage. Those things are the worst. :(