Alternative to Zip Ties

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Alternative to Zip Ties

Post by Minibear453 »

Here's what I do instead of using those ugly blocky zip ties. I take this plastic thing that's used to make lanyards, or use string, and just tie it around the hole. You need to make the thing rough, and not a smooth cocoon of fluff. It looks nicer than zip ties in my opinion, and it's also a lot easier on your pockets. Also, you can use it as some sort of thumb stud thing, and it makes it easier to do Spydie drops, since you can grip something. I tie the knot on the side of the blade, so it'll experience less jiggling, and I use a bit of superglue just to be sure.

Here's a pic: Image
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm not trying to be a hard *** but that doesn't look any better to me than a zip tie. In fact, that looks less neat.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm not trying to be a hard *** but that doesn't look any better to me than a zip tie. In fact, that looks less neat.
I have to agree with this.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

Emerson's work pretty good to :) But if that works for you good job. There is nothing like having a blade that can be at the ready in under a second. Ill give your way a shot. Thanks for the picture.
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

If that works for you it's great. Does it deploy as consistently as it does with a zip tie? It looks like it might be harder to catch on your pocket this way.
Spyder Count: 7
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i remember some one took a piece of sheet metal (dont remember the guage) and put it thru the spydie hole and squeezed the two opened ends shut in pliers or a vice and then grinded a lil hook into it. that was the cleanest add on/non permanant wave that i have seen. it looked like a comma mark when it was done. if you are at all tool inclined get a dremel and some diamond bits and wave it yourself. i'd practice on a byrd first or even a crappy kitchen knife till you get the hang of it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:If that works for you it's great. Does it deploy as consistently as it does with a zip tie? It looks like it might be harder to catch on your pocket this way.
I never had a zip tie... but it used to slip, until I found out you just had to push it against your pocket as you pull, and that I made it a bit thicker.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm not trying to be a hard *** but that doesn't look any better to me than a zip tie. In fact, that looks less neat.
I have to agree with Chuck on this one. However, I like your 'out of the box' approach in looking for new or better ways to do something.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

For SD, waving a knife out is a complicated enough movement not to add to it with an unreliable thinggummy. Can you wave that thing full speed 20 times, in a confined space, without a failure? If not, then it's not reliable enough for me for SD.
knkali

Post by knkali »

Donut

Post by Donut »

tonydahose wrote:i remember some one took a piece of sheet metal (dont remember the guage) and put it thru the spydie hole and squeezed the two opened ends shut in pliers or a vice and then grinded a lil hook into it. that was the cleanest add on/non permanant wave that i have seen. it looked like a comma mark when it was done. if you are at all tool inclined get a dremel and some diamond bits and wave it yourself. i'd practice on a byrd first or even a crappy kitchen knife till you get the hang of it.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44134
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MCM

Post by MCM »

I can hardly notice it........... ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zip ties work because they are ugly and asymmetrical. The raised square digs into the pocket and with a little residual sharp nub it works even better.

The best "wave" designs IMHO are ugly and aggressive. Like the P'kal.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:For SD, waving a knife out is a complicated enough movement not to add to it with an unreliable thinggummy. Can you wave that thing full speed 20 times, in a confined space, without a failure? If not, then it's not reliable enough for me for SD.
Yep. Although there's a scary pull at your pockets.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Minibear453 wrote:Yep. Although there's a scary pull at your pockets.
Scary pull? You mean you have to apply a lot of pressure against the seam?
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I'd have to agree. Maybe some thin paracord knots would look nice? IDK just spit ballin'
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Here's a little mod I did to my Delica a while back. It worked out pretty well and lasted for 2 or so months until I got a little tired of it and took it off.

http://youtu.be/Jf44NXZYv0g
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I used both the Delica Wave and a zip tie mod on one of my other Spydies...and I honestly haven't really cared for either all that much...thought I would. Oh well..
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
knkali

Post by knkali »

ClusterFlux wrote:Here's a little mod I did to my Delica a while back. It worked out pretty well and lasted for 2 or so months until I got a little tired of it and took it off.

http://youtu.be/Jf44NXZYv0g
I like your approach. How did you heat it? Boiling water? Heat gun? hair dryer? Torch? Lighter?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

How'd you do the delica wave? Like, what did you use, and how did you put it on/take it off??

Using a string works well, but you have to maintain pressure on your pocket. So every time I do it, my pants jerk up and to the right. I have never used another way of waving a knife, so no comparison.