Is The Time Right: For a fixed blade HAWKBILL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Is The Time Right: For a fixed blade HAWKBILL?

Post by JD Spydo »

With the H-1 Salt Series doing as good as it is I'm just wondering if now would be the time for a Fixed Blade HAWKBILL? A Fixed Blade Hawkbill in H-1 I truly believe would be a winner in the H-1 Salt Series. With a yellow G-10 handle and H-1 steel it would be a fishermans/outdoorsman's dream knife.

With the Harpy and Tasman gaining the popularity that they have and with Hawkbills in general gaining in popularity I think it would be a great time for one to make it to the line up.

Most survival and preparedness websites and survivalist books touting the fixed blades over folders this would truly fill a market void and could target market several sectors. Definitely make it available in PE & SE.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kens73

Post by kens73 »

I agree 100%
:D :D :D
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I could get behind that... Dirk Pinkerton's pocket sickle comes to mind.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Definitely!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

i would buy at least 3 or 4. please offer in black as well though :D ! JD SPydo, I LOVE the way you think and enjoy your threads. Hawkbills are probably my favorite blade shape -
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm thinking something along the lines of a superhawk but with a longer blade. It would probably benefit sd too. If you make too much of a dramatic curve sheath options will get weird. Not to mention kinda dangerous. You wanna be able to resheath it easy. And vis versa.
JD Spydo

Superhawk style blade? Sure!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:I'm thinking something along the lines of a superhawk but with a longer blade. It would probably benefit sd too. If you make too much of a dramatic curve sheath options will get weird. Not to mention kinda dangerous. You wanna be able to resheath it easy. And vis versa.
That's just really coincidental that you would suggest that "VashHash" because I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine and we kind of talked about that same idea. And I think you're spot on with the sheath because it would be a challenge to make a good one with too extreme of an angle.

Albeit guys like Mike Sastre and a couple of others I could mention have come a long ways with tactical and functional sheaths.

Yeah I like that idea myself because I've always thought it to be an injustice that the Superhawk was not available in SE :( But a fixed blade Hawkbill available in both edge types would truly be most interesting. JD :spyder: O
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I have an old CRKT Bear claw that is perfect for a EDC-able fixed blade. I think something like a hawkbill swick with a little more blade would be great in H1 with some FRN slabs screwed on.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
JD Spydo

Sure I want it available in Black too

Post by JD Spydo »

pmbspyder wrote:i would buy at least 3 or 4. please offer in black as well though :D ! JD SPydo, I LOVE the way you think and enjoy your threads. Hawkbills are probably my favorite blade shape -
Yeah You're right "pmbspyder" because I can truly see where some people would highly prefer a black handle. Sure they have done the same thing with the Tasman so why not. I even want the yellow handled one to have a black sheath.

This tool could be much more handy and practical than most people would realize. I do believe that a fixed blade Hawkbill would be a great survivalist tool as well :cool:
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Hey JD, I truly think you're on to something with this.
Para M390, Para CTS-20CP, Delica
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would like to see Ed do something ethnic with one in H1. That way it serves all factors of cool :) .
onecentweasel

Post by onecentweasel »

Blerv wrote:I would like to see Ed do something ethnic with one in H1. That way it serves all factors of cool :) .
A fixed blade Karambit would work pretty well in the ethnic series...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

As much as I like the idea...I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon....Sal and Company have a lot of projects on the table, and to see one like this come into being...probably would take a long time coming...Sal might even suggest you find a custom maker to make you one, like he did in the FB Pakal Threads, I started...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Bumping this back to the top! Of course this could be a custom job, but what would it be without h1 and a spydie hole!? :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

To be honest. A very respectable company already makes a similar fixed blade. Just not in vg10. I'll give you a hint. They popularized the frontlock that's going to be used in the next sage. Boy its early in the AM isn't it. Sure wish it wasn't so early in the AM.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

??? I'm lost. Can we get some initials or something? Too early for me to be cagey...
JD Spydo

Similar competition: No big deal, no problem

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:As much as I like the idea...I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon....Sal and Company have a lot of projects on the table, and to see one like this come into being...probably would take a long time coming...Sal might even suggest you find a custom maker to make you one, like he did in the FB Pakal Threads, I started...Doc :D
Doc you may indeed be right but I'm not going to drop this idea anytime soon because the Salt Series I feel would truly be the way to go with this one. To me it would make really good sense to keep bolstering the Salt Series and to keep the pipeline full of hard use blades.

A Fixed Blade Hawkbill would truly fill many voids that you read about here on the Forum and it would not only add to Spyderco's already great Salt Series but would really give them a big boost in the fixed blade market as well.

And for the Brother who said that there is already a company who makes something similar>> well just about every knife made by most knife companies have some other knife by a competitive company which has many similarities. But like the old lady on the old Wendy's commercial used to say years ago "WHERE'S THE BEEF?">>> and that's where Spyderco will still win because they have the BEEF and the quality to go with it :cool:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Maybe I should resurrect my Boomerang? :D
Daywalker owns the only one... :eek:
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

zackerty wrote:Maybe I should resurrect my Boomerang? :D
Daywalker owns the only one... :eek:
yes please! it's the perfect platform for spyderco! done in h1 with a spydie hole and se and i would pick up multiples! send a proto in to Sal, we will be indebted to you!!