Woodcraft, another fine blank!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Woodcraft, another fine blank!

Post by toomzz »

Hello forum, goodmorning America,

most recently I ordered myself a woodcraft FB27 steel blank. I heard of it before and I knew they were available at woodcraft.com. To my surprise I found out that they where at discount-sale for 50 bucks. I ordered one and thinking of ordering a few more. The blank reached me in four days with Fed-ex.

The first handles I made on this s30v blank were wooden bubinga slabs glued and corbied with red-copper corby-screws. Because I wasn't very happy with the result and made some major f***-ups I removed the stuff again. I found out how BMF-proof glueing and corby-screws are, believe me!
That method is now proven to be superb :D

Anyway, here you see the second-try; peel-ply (coarse) textured G10, 3/16 of an inch thick. I reshaped the blade and put a swedge towards the point on it. I have to finish the blade, polish and make a nice simple leather sheath to it (after I ordered a few cows :rolleyes: )
It is not quite 'woodcraft' style with this artificial handles but I really love the ergos and the bladecontrol on this one. Kudos Spyderco!

Cheers & enjoy,
Tomas
Attachments
luka 019rs.jpg
luka 019rs.jpg (94.02 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Tom
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Nice Toomz! I wish I had skills to do that stuff myself. It looks like you have the same nice leather sheath as I do or did you make that yourself also? Works well with the Mules. Any way, nice work.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Looks good. Mine is still a blank but I'm working on it (inside my head).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Forgive me for asking but what's the story on this mule? I missed where they originated from. I really like the looks of it...was it a one off for another company or will there be more in other steels?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

And the other side. It is an experiment with this one and the peel-ply G10. I am not very fond of s30v but the steel is gaining my respect. Especially the S30V on my recently obtained (old) Lil' Temp is awesome.

The woodcraft is a blade with form which seems to be designed to alternate. Change the spine, put a small or large swedge on it, etc.
Again handling this knife is beyond my expectations. With the choil you have lots of control in cutting and chopping. For slicing you grab it behind the choil.
That makes gripping it much different than a mule, that has more 'SD'-potential. The woodcraft is therefore much more an utility/EDC knife....

Cheers,
T.
Attachments
luka 020rs.jpg
luka 020rs.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Tom
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Evil D wrote:Forgive me for asking but what's the story on this mule? I missed where they originated from. I really like the looks of it...was it a one off for another company or will there be more in other steels?
It was a knife commissioned by woodcraft.com and recently discontinued. Their website isn't showing it anymore (at least that I can see). Seeing as how it was marked down on clearance, I doubt we'll be seeing more of this particular knife from them in any other steel.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It's too bad, I prefer the shape over the standard Mule, though would prefer no choil and ffg.. And in all the diff steels of course :D
On the hunt for...
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Indeed it is gone! Must have had one of the last ones....
Wishfulthinking that they will ever make such a fine blade again in a different steel....

:o
Tom
MCM

Post by MCM »

For some reason I really like this one.
Picked a couple, then a couple more.
I don't buy all the Mules as they come out any longer, just the ones I really like.
Need to get going on the other mini me Mule's.
Have some stag & a re-shape in mind for the next one. Here is the one I finished (again).... have posted it a few times now. But really like how it came out. Really a handy size little knife. Re-shaped a little, plan to re-shape the next one a little more.

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Are the three "dots" just pins that go all the way through or are there screws underneath?
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

toomzz wrote:And the other side. It is an experiment with this one and the peel-ply G10. I am not very fond of s30v but the steel is gaining my respect. Especially the S30V on my recently obtained (old) Lil' Temp is awesome.

The woodcraft is a blade with form which seems to be designed to alternate. Change the spine, put a small or large swedge on it, etc.
Again handling this knife is beyond my expectations. With the choil you have lots of control in cutting and chopping. For slicing you grab it behind the choil.
That makes gripping it much different than a mule, that has more 'SD'-potential. The woodcraft is therefore much more an utility/EDC knife....

Cheers,
T.
Hey Toomzz, where did you get your sheath from? Did you make it? If so, where did you get the material from? It looks nice. I have a woodcraft. I made my handles with blue plexiglass. I just need a sheath for it.

Thanks.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Are the three "dots" just pins that go all the way through or are there screws underneath? "

pins
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Rutgrr wrote:Hey Toomzz, where did you get your sheath from? Did you make it? If so, where did you get the material from? It looks nice. I have a woodcraft. I made my handles with blue plexiglass. I just need a sheath for it.
The sheath is the Clovis Pouch from Derrick at KnivesShipFree. I've bought a couple of them myself - one for my Woodcraft Mule and another for one of my flashlights... Handy little buggers.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/product_i ... ts_id=3160

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

....or make one yourself.....

come on Rutgrr, if you are able to make that fine blue plexiglass handles, you must be able to make that simple pouch, right...?

;)
Attachments
luka 022rs.jpg
luka 022rs.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
Tom
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Love the G10! Mine is red/black micarta but my skills are far below yours.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

phillipsted wrote:The sheath is the Clovis Pouch from Derrick at KnivesShipFree. I've bought a couple of them myself - one for my Woodcraft Mule and another for one of my flashlights... Handy little buggers.

[
Beware that there is always a risk putting FB's in such pouches. I am not saying that the Clovis is not suited for a small FB, however due to the fact that the leather inside liner does not follow the blade's contours and there is no absolute stop for the knife to go any further down the pouch changes are high to cut through one day. (...and maybe injure yourself)
That Clovis is more ment for your Flashlight or any folder. Especially my Police3 and Caly 3.5 fit in like a glove. They both have a tapered, kind of symmetrical butt-end. And they are easy to make! :rolleyes:

Cheers,
T.
Tom
Senate

Post by Senate »

another winner Tomas...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Donut

Post by Donut »

Tomas, that looks very simple and well done.

Where did you source the coarse peel ply G-10 from?

Thanks.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

The G10 came from a dutch knifemaker. He told me it was the same stuff Strider/Buck uses on their knives.
I now order my stuff directly in the US, usaknifemakersupply.com They might have it as well, check it; I am sure you will find very nice stuff there.... :rolleyes:

Tomas
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Finished product. Added lanyardhole, polish and leather in-the-pocketsheath with contoured liner. The blade can´t either move in it because the insideliner follows the blade or fall out. It is stuck with the coarse textured G10 between the leather. ;)
Attachments
luka 028rs.jpg
luka 028rs.jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Tom